Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This common law marriage thing seems like a hoax.

@KIRK @Jaded-Fan aren't one of you people a lawyer?

I’m a lawyer...I don’t do this work but in California, where there’s no common law marriage, but one partner could still bring a lawsuit for financial claims against the other if there was even just an oral contract that the other would pay for something....there’s a case from the 1970s involving Lee Marvin I think...in common law states, there’s a set number of years and if you live together and hold yourself out as married (you don’t even have to use terms in public like husband or wife but it’s based on circumstantial evidence), then you might have a claim for shared property....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not rocket science. You just have to understand how plays develop and who's responsible for what.

A defenseman who makes an errant pass 150 feet from his net and then can't skate to head off the rush because he's tripped is not the same as a player not understanding what side of the ice he needs to be on or that when defending the rush he shouldn't focus on the guy his partner already clearly has covered and leave another wide open. Letang was ****ing up elementary ****.

It’s funny how people like yourself like to argue one microcosm of a mistake defines a player.

Passing the puck to the other team after a minute of sustained pressure and a near goal blows out the sails just as much as Letang’s gaffe in game 5. The Penguins were tied at that point.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sure we could have inked out a win... but we never deserved to. Which is why I find it so amusing about all the blame and moaning and *****ing that's been going on. For whatever reason we just didn't have "it" this year. There's lots of individuals who had a poor playoffs - Letang, Murray, Maatta and others. But as a collective it wasn't there. Our great depth (on paper) couldn't score, and we had other issues that exacerbated that. It happens - this year it happened to us. It's not that big of a deal - make the needed changes and try again.

Like if I'm a betting person...im betting on the Pens to win the Cup in 2019. The chances that only Crosby and Guentzel show up again are non existent. Brassard,Kessel and the whole bottom six will be better. Can't be any worse.

Reactions: Peat and Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Like if I'm a betting person...im betting on the Pens to win the Cup in 2019. The chances that only Crosby and Guentzel show up again are non existent. Brassard,Kessel and the whole bottom six will be better. Can't be any worse.

If I was betting on any one individual team, yeah same. On paper we still have a crazy deep roster... it's just dependent on players all showing up and playing like we think they should.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s funny how people like yourself like to argue one microcosm of a mistake defines a player.

Passing the puck to the other team after a minute of sustained pressure and a near goal blows out the sails just as much as Letang’s gaffe in game 5. The Penguins were tied at that point.

You're making a false equivalency that doesn't hold up to the least bit of scrutiny. I can't explain the respective plays any more than I have. You either don't get it or refuse to get it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This free agency class has to be one of the worst in a really long time. Outside of Tavares there is legitimately no one. JVR is gonna get PAIIIDDDDDDDDD. I wouldn't be shocked to see him land a deal near 8m per year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Subban is honestly too expensive for me to want to acquire, I'd rather cut back on the money spent on the defense instead of adding even more. If the Penguins are trading Letang, which is the only scenario where bringing in Subban would be a serious possibility, I'd rather them downgrade at the #1 spot (both in ability and money) to upgrade the rest of the defense. Adding Subban does the opposite of that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm really curious to see where Cole lands and for how much. One would figure a guy like him will be around 3m per season...a desperate team could give him 4 years.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
If Hoffman was in on the cyber-bullying with his fiance, then yeah he'll likely get blackballed. If he wasn't in on it, then I think it depends on a couple things - 1) Is this girl mentally ill? If so, then that could give Hoffman a pass so long as he makes it clear to his team she's getting professional help. 2) If she's not mentally ill, then he'll probably have to sever ties with her if he wants a future in the NHL (or respect from other people for that matter).

Boy I hope if it comes out it was her they dont spin the mental disability thing.

To this point they had never brought it up, and to do so once it's legit found out to be her, would seem like a cop out excuse.

Also I dont know many mental disabilities that have you wishing death on someone and saying your glad their baby was stillborn.

Unless its assholeitis

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Third option would be he loves her so much he won’t sever ties but will be willing to throw away his NHL career for her. . . Wonder if she’d stick around for that.

I'm on the side that says he will be disappointed. At least when the well runs dry.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Something I just learned about the Hoffman situation is that the troll comments were coming from an IP address in Hoffman's house. That's how the Karlssons know it was her.

That's actually huge... if the IP address is coming from there house that's a big deal.

I mean I'm sure no one who has the skills to do so, is going to go as far as to bounce the IP off of hoffmans house just to be an evil scumbag ( I cant even say troll) to karlsson him and his wife.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Suppose Edmonton offers Lucic at $3M for Sheary. What do they need to add for you to say yes?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we should try to flip Brassard for a younger, cheaper, ideally right-handed C, like Roslovic if Winnipeg can’t re-sign Stastny. Not so much for cap/money reasons as much as just having someone that is cost-controlled for 5-6 years, is on an upward trajectory, hasn’t become accustomed to certain minutes and situations and can take D zone draws on the right side. Really all we need is someone that can hit 35-40 ES points with good wingers.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Not very surprising. I think it was pretty obvious that the knew it was her before going as far as going to court about it. The notion they not only applied for but were granted a restraining order with zero proof or certainty was a Hoffman fanboy wet dream.

This... obviously there was some substantial proof for the court to grant it.

Man what a f***ing piece of shit she is. Hoffmans lucky all karlsson did was confront him in a parking lot.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Letang for PK

I mean, Letang was really close to Subban in most things this year. Biggest difference is that his mistakes wound up in the back of the net all the time before December. He had a bad year, and still was on par with the Norris candidates in most metrics.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I mean, Letang was really close to Subban in most things this year. Biggest difference is that his mistakes wound up in the back of the net all the time before December. He had a bad year, and still was on par with the Norris candidates in most metrics.

PK shot on the PP is exactly what this team needs. PK's 4 ppg this post season to Letangs 0. I'd have to really watch PK defensively but I can already tell he's better. +18 this year to -9 for Letang. Letang hasn't been in the + like that since 2011.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Subban is honestly too expensive for me to want to acquire, I'd rather cut back on the money spent on the defense instead of adding even more. If the Penguins are trading Letang, which is the only scenario where bringing in Subban would be a serious possibility, I'd rather them downgrade at the #1 spot (both in ability and money) to upgrade the rest of the defense. Adding Subban does the opposite of that.
If Subban came to the penguins I would have a heart attack. That guy is way too flamboyant for this organization he would be so much trouble in pittsburgh. IMO.

Reactions: Riptide

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think we should try to flip Brassard for a younger, cheaper, ideally right-handed C, like Roslovic if Winnipeg can’t re-sign Stastny. Not so much for cap/money reasons as much as just having someone that is cost-controlled for 5-6 years, is on an upward trajectory, hasn’t become accustomed to certain minutes and situations and can take D zone draws on the right side. Really all we need is someone that can hit 35-40 ES points with good wingers.

Someone brought up Lindholm from Carolina the other day and I thought it was a great fit. We are on the same page with this. RH, Lindholm is a 55% faceoff man, good 2 way game.

It's an underrated thing having a RH faceoff ace.

Reactions: Riptide and Jacob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah...

The part that really ticked me off was the usage of the goalies in the first 3 months of the season, it was just ridiculous with how it was all handled and then the tragedy the poor kid went through. But the usage...

That's on Sully and JR.

One did not handle his goalies well and the other didn't find a veteran back-up after moving the one that failed. You can't throw a kid like that to the wolves with so many back to backs, have a failed back-up and then think the rookies will suffice. The season was doomed the moment the Niemi experiment failed miserably.

I'm looking at other teams for comparison and Murray's usage doesn't look particularly unusual tbh. Vasilevsky saw more 5 game stretches and nearly as many b2bs that he started both of (and I stopped counting about half way through the season). Think Martin Jones played 28 games starting 2 b2bs from Feb onwards.

And I think the rookies sufficed too and we're stronger for having given them their opportunity. Jarry was a shade below league average, DeSmith comfortably above.

I'm really curious to see where Cole lands and for how much. One would figure a guy like him will be around 3m per season...a desperate team could give him 4 years.

3m would be him doing someone a gigantic favour. In a world where Michael Stone was taking 3.5m and Brendan Smith 4.35m - before the cap had its biggest jump in forever - Cole is a lot closer to 4m than 3m. 4 years isn't unreasonable for a 29 year old defender who turns 30 next season - that basically leaves only the last season where his contract might be dicey. 5 or 6 years would be real desperation.

Isn't that basically just right handed Sheahan?

*googles* Ah. No. But good luck getting Winnipeg to give up someone like that for one year of Brassard (unless Brassard does us a solid and agrees a contract before hand).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad