Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
*googles* Ah. No. But good luck getting Winnipeg to give up someone like that for one year of Brassard (unless Brassard does us a solid and agrees a contract before hand).

Yeah I haven't thought about Brassard.
So what happens if the Penguins are going to the post season next season and Brassard hasn't signed an extension (figuring the Penguins even want(can) to keep him)?
Do they lose out on recouping what was lost to get him or do they ship him out for ... for whatever?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think we should try to flip Brassard for a younger, cheaper, ideally right-handed C, like Roslovic if Winnipeg can’t re-sign Stastny. Not so much for cap/money reasons as much as just having someone that is cost-controlled for 5-6 years, is on an upward trajectory, hasn’t become accustomed to certain minutes and situations and can take D zone draws on the right side. Really all we need is someone that can hit 35-40 ES points with good wingers.

While I agree that we do not need a legit #2C to be our 3C, and that someone who can PK, play a defensive role if needed and hit 35-40 ES points pretty much covers our needs... that suggestion is too futures based. I'd move Brassard in a heartbeat in the right deal... but I want someone who's much more of a sure thing and someone who can contribute immediately.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I haven't thought about Brassard.
So what happens if the Penguins are going to the post season next season and Brassard hasn't signed an extension (figuring the Penguins even want(can) to keep him)?
Do they lose out on recouping what was lost to get him or do they ship him out for ... for whatever?

Competing teams don't sell expiring contracts at the deadline, they rent them. If Brassard's here post-December/January i.e. not shipped out in a hockey move, he's here until May/June and lost value be damned.

While I agree that we do not need a legit #2C to be our 3C, and that someone who can PK, play a defensive role if needed and hit 35-40 ES points pretty much covers our needs... that suggestion is too futures based. I'd move Brassard in a heartbeat in the right deal... but I want someone who's much more of a sure thing and someone who can contribute immediately.

Roslovic could contribute immediately, just he'd probably be a wing to begin with. Sheahan could take 3C until he's ready. I'd do it.

Although I'm not gonna lie, I see pacy skilled RH centre and I start wondering how they'd do on a wing with Crosby :laugh:

Reactions: Riptide

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah someone around 23-26 would be better, not sure who that’d be though. We probably should’ve gotten Pageau instead.

Maybe Lowry? But he’s a lefty.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I think it’d depend on how he’s playing. We aren’t going to be deadline sellers but if he’s contributing minimally we might wanna trade him for someone that can do more for us.

Shhh the Brassard brigade is here.

Side note: even though I get into with some of you guys, especially regarding Brassard lol, I appreciate what you all bring and I get a lot of good info from reading your guys posts.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah someone around 23-26 would be better, not sure who that’d be though. We probably should’ve gotten Pageau instead.

Maybe Lowry? But he’s a lefty.

I'm not sure what Lowry offers that Sheahan doesn't. If you're considering shipping out Brassard but that's the best you can get, find a decent 4C and ship him out for futures/dmen/wingers/anything else really instead.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I'm just so confused right now on where to lean on what is going to happen.

There has been so many rumors and smoke about us this season.

But nothing concrete.

My body is ready for the draft and free agency already.

Just to finally see where the chips all finally fall for us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So technically only 4 problems and 2 have to do with Letang. 1) Secondary scoring - Yes, I agree but with proper defense more scoring wasn't even needed. Crosby/Guentz had 42 points in 12 games. Ovi and Kuzy had 59 in 24 games. 2) Murray - This was his worst playoff performance but I was taught you can't really fault a goalie on breakaways and odd man rushes. That falls on the defense. Don't believe me? Go suit up and try to play goalie. 3) Coaching - I agree on both fronts. I also believe they should have split up the Dumo/Letang parring. 4) Letang - no words needed.

All of those issues have something to do with Letang besides #1 but you could argue he was taking so many risk and giving up odd man rushes. He should have been producing more offensively. Murray's worst performance can obviously be tied to Letangs horrible effort in front of him. Coach managing his minutes. You ever think he's a hard head who won't listen to the coach? I get that vibe from him and the horrible decisions he was making out on the ice. You know the coaches are hammering into his head in meetings he can't do that but yet, he did.
KrVHLid.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My expectations for this offseason:

Sprong and pick #53 to Arizona for Domi
Sheary to Buffalo for pick #32
Sign someone like Schenn or Folin in free agency
Wait until next season to get a better solution for the bottom pair

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Interesting but why Sprong? We barely know what he's capable of right? Or do you mean that regardless of board opinions you think the organization will move him + some other asset to get a more known quantity? Pretty sure I wouldn't complain about that deal but just curious.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Boy I hope if it comes out it was her they dont spin the mental disability thing.

To this point they had never brought it up, and to do so once it's legit found out to be her, would seem like a cop out excuse.

Also I dont know many mental disabilities that have you wishing death on someone and saying your glad their baby was stillborn.

Unless its *******itis

Personally I tend to lean towards this woman just being a shitty human being.

Reactions: USMC607

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting but why Sprong? We barely know what he's capable of right? Or do you mean that regardless of board opinions you think the organization will move him + some other asset to get a more known quantity? Pretty sure I wouldn't complain about that deal but just curious.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. With as much smoke around Domi to Pittsburgh as there has been, and with knowing the opinion that the team has on Sprong, Sprong+ for Domi just makes a ton of sense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I have a feeling that Sprong may get moved too. Right side is clogged. Sully isn't a fan of Phil so he sure as shit won't be a fan of Sprong.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Personally I tend to lean towards this woman just being a ****ty human being.
It is weird that she apparently predicted the baby would die because of the mom’s supposed issue with pain killers. Feels like there’s something to her allegations but obviously she is still a psycho for how she went about things.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It is weird that she apparently predicted the baby would die because of the mom’s supposed issue with pain killers. Feels like there’s something to her allegations but obviously she is still a psycho for how she went about things.

Did she actually predict that? I only saw those comments from after the baby had passed,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I have a feeling that Sprong may get moved too. Right side is clogged. Sully isn't a fan of Phil so he sure as **** won't be a fan of Sprong.
To be fair, I don't think Sully is a fan of Phil because Phil's got a penchant for letting his emotions/frustration dictate his play on the ice. He is far too prone to becoming unhinged mid-game when things are not going well. I don't think he likes Sprong's all-around game, and he might find the kid a little too cocky, but I think it's a coaching thing as opposed to, well, essentially being annoyed by Phil's inability to compose himself.

As for Hoffman, would love the guy here. Hell of a shot and a real good winger. He needs to dump that crazy bitch though, which I'm sure is becoming more and more a possibility as the story went public and he's likely being traded because of the situation. Love and emotion trump rationale, but something like being traded and the story going public will figuratively splash water on a guy's face to wake him up real quick.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I didn't think that that post (the one that got all the publicity) was posted until after the baby was born.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

-I don't think the value is there.
-Is he worth that much?! Yes please!
-Under no circumstances at all on the former. Seriously, never. Sure on the latter.
-Of Course.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
To be fair, I don't think Sully is a fan of Phil because Phil's got a penchant for letting his emotions/frustration dictate his play on the ice. He is far too prone to becoming unhinged mid-game when things are not going well. I don't think he likes Sprong's all-around game, and he might find the kid a little too cocky, but I think it's a coaching thing as opposed to, well, essentially being annoyed by Phil's inability to compose himself.

As for Hoffman, would love the guy here. Hell of a shot and a real good winger. He needs to dump that crazy ***** though, which I'm sure is becoming more and more a possibility as the story went public and he's likely being traded because of the situation. Love and emotion trump rationale, but something like being traded and the story going public will figuratively splash water on a guy's face to wake him up real quick.

For his sake, I'd hope so. But you'd be trading him with zero knowledge whether he would be dumping her. What if you get him cheap... and he doesn't? Now you're taking a real chance that you could be bringing the same shit into your own dressing room.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I sincerely hope we don't trade Sprong, even for Domi. Not that I see Sprong as a world beater, I don't. But Sprong has a lot of upside, is obviously young and will come cheaply. We need more such players. If we're trading for Domi I'm hoping we trade a guy like Maatta. I just think he's too slow and that has caused him to get caught out of position. Obviously we'd need to get another fairly significant piece back. But that's the route I'd choose to go. Clearly we'd need to add a top four and depth defensemen in this deal, possibly another or via free agency..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd desperately like to hold on to Sprong so we know what he looks like alongside Sid or Geno with a level of comfort that allows him to use his skill/talent to the best of his ability.

But if we're dead-set on moving him, I hope it's for a similarly high-ceiling blueliner prospect, or a LW.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I don't think JR wants to deal Sprong and I don't want to see Sprong dealt.

If the team wants Domi, it'll have to be for something else.

Jarry + 2nd next year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I don't think JR wants to deal Sprong and I don't want to see Sprong dealt.

If the team wants Domi, it'll have to be for something else.

Jarry + 2nd next year.

They don't need Jarry.

I'm not a huge fan of trading Sprong but, if the team really is that hung up on Domi, Sprong looks the likeliest piece to appeal that Rutherford would be least opposed to handing over (imo).

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad