Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Pancakes, I'm not sure if you're in Canada or not, but in Canada (and the US as well I believe) we have what's called "common-law". If you've been living with someone for over a year (or is it 1.5-2?), in the eye's of the court you're married. Which means if he dumps her over this (proven, unproven, guilty, innocent, whatever), she can and almost certainly would take him to court, and she would win. She would win half (or at least a significant chunk) of his assets and likely spousal support based on the fact that he's been supporting her to some extent, with the fact that he's been earning 5m+ in salary (due for 5.65m this yr and next).

It's been phased out in the US mostly (maybe 10-12 states still have it). It was only really on the books from frontier days when people couldn't get to a JoP. PA phased it out in 2005.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He kind of stuck his neck out for her with his 150% thing. I guess if it turns out his girl was behind the stalking, he’ll have to recant. If he doesn’t, then yeah I could see him effectively blackballed. But I don’t think that scenario will play out.

Can’t wait to see how the real thing and the Lifetime Movie version comes out

If Hoffman was in on the cyber-bullying with his fiance, then yeah he'll likely get blackballed. If he wasn't in on it, then I think it depends on a couple things - 1) Is this girl mentally ill? If so, then that could give Hoffman a pass so long as he makes it clear to his team she's getting professional help. 2) If she's not mentally ill, then he'll probably have to sever ties with her if he wants a future in the NHL (or respect from other people for that matter).

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
If Hoffman was in on the cyber-bullying with his fiance, then yeah he'll likely get blackballed. If he wasn't in on it, then I think it depends on a couple things - 1) Is this girl mentally ill? If so, then that could give Hoffman a pass so long as he makes it clear to his team she's getting professional help. 2) If she's not mentally ill, then he'll probably have to sever ties with her if he wants a future in the NHL (or respect from other people for that matter).

Third option would be he loves her so much he won’t sever ties but will be willing to throw away his NHL career for her. . . Wonder if she’d stick around for that.

Reactions: USMC607 and JTG

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Something I just learned about the Hoffman situation is that the troll comments were coming from an IP address in Hoffman's house. That's how the Karlssons know it was her.

Hope the poon is worth millions and a miserable life, Hoff.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He was nothing special. Hence why we got Lovejoy, won the Cup, and Despres has done nothing since. Just like how we won the Cup without Letang. Seems like you guys are more worried about who's wearing the jersey than winning Championships. That's the problem.

LOL!

Reactions: Turin

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Something I just learned about the Hoffman situation is that the troll comments were coming from an IP address in Hoffman's house. That's how the Karlssons know it was her.

Not very surprising. I think it was pretty obvious that the knew it was her before going as far as going to court about it. The notion they not only applied for but were granted a restraining order with zero proof or certainty was a Hoffman fanboy wet dream.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

“Get out now! Those calls are coming from inside the house!”

I’d look for the beer commercial link to this but I’m too lazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not very surprising. I think it was pretty obvious that the knew it was her before going as far as going to court about it. The notion they not only applied for but were granted a restraining order with zero proof or certainty was a Hoffman fanboy wet dream.

Yeah, I pretty much assumed the Karlssons had some sort of proof it was Hoffman's girlfriend before taking any sort of legal steps about it. I doubt they would have filed those protection orders or whatever if it was just gut instinct or suspicion that she was behind it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would hope that's the case. Imagine you dated and lived with someone for a couple years, then decided it was best to split up, and the government steps in and says "you have to give him/her part of your assets" before you stop seeing each other. That would be beyond screwed up.

I did some more googling on that. In BC, that's exactly the case. After a grand total of 12 months. Quebec is the only place in Canada that has refused to recognize it. Ontario (from the examples given) is likely the least extreme in the sense that it looks like all that matters is overall time and some sort of move towards marriage (such as getting engaged). While BC is the most extreme, in that it apparently just takes time, and that after X time (pretty sure it's 12 months), you're (in legal eyes) married.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Who cares what Niskanen thinks.

The Pens won 2 cups after he was gone for a big pay day. I don't think the Caps will repeat next year at all. The Pens will be rested and so help me god they better replace Recchi and find a stronger AC and we'll be back in the finals reclaiming the throne.

You don't think it's telling he said Game 5 against the Pens is what gave the team confidence they could win the Cup. That just so happens to be the game Letang blew. Letangs hands all over Capitals first Stanley Cup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You don't think it's telling he said Game 5 against the Pens is what gave the team confidence they could win the Cup. That just so happens to be the game Letang blew. Letangs hands all over Capitals first Stanley Cup.

Keep dreaming and grasping at as many straws as you can. :laugh:

Reactions: PensandCaps

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Keep dreaming and grasping at as many straws as you can. :laugh:

I only deal with facts. Letang handed them a game that gave them confidence in beating us and going on to win it all. I've been saying it all along but this time it came straight from a player in the Capitals locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad