Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Killing time with pointless rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Fact is you can get that at trade deadline.

You can’t get rid of JJ then.

For sure. You get rid of JJ now regardless. BUT, going into next season with Maatta-Schultz as your 2nd pairing isn't the answer, and I'm not sure it's something so easily addressed at the deadline. If anything, I'd look to pawn Maatta off on Ottawa (as we discussed) and then go for that #3 this offseason (perhaps looking to trade with a team up against the cap limit themselves?).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For sure. You get rid of JJ now regardless. BUT, going into next season with Maatta-Schultz as your 2nd pairing isn't the answer, and I'm not sure it's something so easily addressed at the deadline. If anything, I'd look to pawn Maatta off on Ottawa (as we discussed) and then go for that #3 this offseason (perhaps looking to trade with a team up against the cap limit themselves?).

It’s also not a big enough issue to prevent this team from being successful in the regular season.

JJ on our roster is.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I think both Schultz and Maatta should be shopped.
I really don't think there is a way we can trade Schultz and replace him without a slew of other moves. JRs priority seems on the forwards. Assuming JJ is gone, I don't really think it makes sense to move Schultz unless your moving Maatta too, but that doesn't go both ways. If your moving Schultz you have to commit to completely rebuilding the second pairing, and Maatta probably shouldn't be the guy on the left side there, and Maatta-Gudbranson is absolutely too expensive, and even Rutherford knows that. I am all for moving Schultz for an impact forward (Hoffman?), but I find it pretty unlikely we do it and the defense is any better.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lol...TIOPS chiming in....here’s a summary...

TIOPS is claiming Kessel was actually asked to waive his NTC on Monday, and has already told the Penguins he is not going to waive his NTC for Minnesota. From what TIOPS is saying, the Penguins and Wild are trying to keep trade hopes alive, and that the Penguins have given the Wild permission to speak to Kessel and his agent. Problem is, accoding to TIOPS, Kessel and co aren't returning the Wild's calls. Wild have tried to get Parise and others involved to try and persuade Kessel to come to Minnesota.

TIOPS claims GMJR has already told Kessel there is zero possibility he is going to return to Pittsburgh next year, and claims Kessel has told the team find a deal with someone on his 8 team trade list, which TIOPS claims includes Nashville, LA, and Arizona

Here's my 4 letter read on the insider insight of that article . . . R.O.F.L.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
100%.

Last year was obviously a problem, but I didn't see Schultz as a 5.5M a year defenseman in 2017-2018 either.

The Kessel-Ellis discussions (teams talked twice last season) would be a good way to fill the RHD void then.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I really don't think there is a way we can trade Schultz and replace him without a slew of other moves. JRs priority seems on the forwards. Assuming JJ is gone, I don't really think it makes sense to move Schultz unless your moving Maatta too, but that doesn't go both ways. If your moving Schultz you have to commit to completely rebuilding the second pairing, and Maatta probably shouldn't be the guy on the left side there, and Maatta-Gudbranson is absolutely too expensive, and even Rutherford knows that. I am all for moving Schultz for an impact forward (Hoffman?), but I find it pretty unlikely we do it and the defense is any better.

I mean for a different defenseman or assets/space to replace him. I’m fine with Maatta/Petersson -a better player than Schultz on the 2nd pair. Ideally you just move both tbh. Hell, trade both for picks and sign Karlsson :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
When the UFA market in 2019 is Pietrangelo (especially if they win the cup), Krug, Faulk, Spurgeon, Barrie, Vatanen, Tanev, Hamonic, etc. Schultz is not having a lot of value.

Agreed, but I'm not sure what that should have to do with the Pens willingness to shop Schultz, because he certainly hasn't been a 5.5M a year defenseman since signing his 3 year deal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wouldn't trade Phil, but if I were to, I would look at someone like Drouin.

Then make a move to Calgary to get Bennett and Frolik. Move Horny for stuff and sign a FA like Dingle DZINGLE

Must be nice to live in a fantasy land where one can just make wishes and have them fulfilled.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, they’re both the same age, one is infinitely better, hard to say..

Except the infinitely better one has a full NMC, which negatively impacts what you could get for him IF he ever decided to force a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad