Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Killing time with pointless rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
In any event, I'm almost positive the leak came from the Pens' side. I'm sure the word is out that Phil's being moved, but this gives teams a feel for the sort of offer they need to beat. Phil's camp leaking the info doesn't really do much to improve his position, really. I don't know why Minny would leak the info. The only camp that makes sense is JR & Co., to drive the price up and get more of the reported 5 or so teams to step up.

In any event, Zucker for Phil makes sense from the standpoint that a 65pt Zucker is probably far better for this team than an 80pt Phil. The Rask for JJ thing is kind of a wash; two bad deals, but Rask could either rebound and turn into a serviceable player, be flipped after we get him, or be much more easily insulated than JJ on the blueline.

If nothing else, this is a very strong fallback option if JR can't get some fantastic deal. Nothing's going to happen until the days leading up to draft weekend though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In any event, I'm almost positive the leak came from the Pens' side. I'm sure the word is out that Phil's being moved, but this gives teams a feel for the sort of offer they need to beat. Phil's camp leaking the info doesn't really do much to improve his position, really. I don't know why Minny would leak the info. The only camp that makes sense is JR & Co., to drive the price up and get more of the reported 5 or so teams to step up.

It didn't according to Jesse.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It didn't according to Jesse.
Oh, really? Damn, I missed that. Hmm.

It just doesn't really make a lot of sense for anyone else to be driving the leak, y'know? What do Phil and his camp have to gain? I'm sure the word has spread like wildfire, since the Pens were eliminated, that Phil was very much on the move this summer. There have been rumors all season that Phil almost moved last summer, and was on the block this season. I just don't see what Phil's camp gains from leaking. The same sorta thing can be said of Minny--what do they gain by leaking the proposal? Maybe drive Zucker's price up, seeing as he's the centerpiece to acquire Phil? I guess that sorta makes sense, but not nearly as much as the Pens being the ones putting the info out.

Who knows. :laugh: I'll just give Jesse the benefit of the doubt though. He's one of the best out there by far.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh, really? Damn, I missed that. Hmm.

It just doesn't really make a lot of sense for anyone else to be driving the leak, y'know? What do Phil and his camp have to gain? I'm sure the word has spread like wildfire, since the Pens were eliminated, that Phil was very much on the move this summer. There have been rumors all season that Phil almost moved last summer, and was on the block this season. I just don't see what Phil's camp gains from leaking. The same sorta thing can be said of Minny--what do they gain by leaking the proposal? Maybe drive Zucker's price up, seeing as he's the centerpiece to acquire Phil? I guess that sorta makes sense, but not nearly as much as the Pens being the ones putting the info out.

Who knows. :laugh: I'll just give Jesse the benefit of the doubt though. He's one of the best out there by far.

Could be that Phil wants it leaked in the hope that a place he likes more will post an offer Rutherford will do. Seems plausible enough to me. Sure everyone knows he's available, but the price and rumour of a nearly there deal will get people moving.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How about Kessel for Zucker and a swap of 1sts moving us up 9 spots, then package Johnson with our ‘21 2nd to Ottawa or someone else needing to reach the cap floor.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Could be that Phil wants it leaked in the hope that a place he likes more will post an offer Rutherford will do. Seems plausible enough to me. Sure everyone knows he's available, but the price and rumour of a nearly there deal will get people moving.
Eh, I suppose, but it still doesn't make as much sense to me as if JR's camp leaked it. If Phil's not happy with a potential Minnesota deal, he just blocks it. Again, everybody in the hockey world knows Phil's gone. I'm sure JR is fielding calls from a dozen teams right now that are, at the very least, kicking the tires--half of which are probably getting down to specifics when it comes to assets/players changing hands.

I wish we didn't have to wait another month for something to actually get done, though, and I'm still hoping we can manage to eek out a mid-1st in whatever deal we choose for Phil.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Then I better not hear any of ya'll complain when the Pens seem oddly ordinary very soon.

People are way too tied to favorite players, I never was outside of MARIO. Trade any and all if it improves the team for the future. I also get that a Coach is only concerned about the next game, but a GM should not only try to win NOW, but ALSO have a PLAN for the time beyond now.

The Pens are oddly ordinary (or oddly underwhelming if you prefer) already.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

What probably was the case was that someone caught wind of Kessel doing research on joining the Wild, and they started digging deeper and found that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Minnesota isn't on Phil's list, and it apparently isn't, I can't really see him waiving to join another mediocre team with far less in the way of star talent. Sure, it's closer to home, but I doubt Phil really cares all that much if the Wild aren't on his accepted teams list. Phil probably either wants to go somewhere with a chance to win, and soon. Vegas makes sense for two reasons; they may be the strongest team out West, and Phil loves to play poker in his off time. The issue is that Vegas is already full up on top-6 talent.

I'm really curious to see who the 3 or 4 teams were that are in on Phil, as reported, that are on his accepted team list.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jake-Sid-Zucker is probably one of the best lines in the league, if we're honest. Particularly so if Zucker gets back to the 65ish point level he was at a year ago, which doesn't seem like a stretch playing with Sid and Jake. It also makes that line perfectly well-rounded with no real deficiencies.

That being said, again, we need to find a way to give Geno someone better than McCann + Rust or Horny. He just cannot have two third-wheel kinda guys

I'm not sure why this suddenly would be a priority for JR.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Zucker would fit here well. But I'm 100% certain he's going on Sid's RW. Which still leaves a massive hole on Malkin's line.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker would fit here well. But I'm 100% certain he's going on Sid's RW. Which still leaves a massive hole on Malkin's line.
Hopefully JR's got a plan.

The downside is that plan may include moving Geno, as opposed to giving him support. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I know where it came from and in all fairness to Mike I can't disclose that information, but suffice to say that 1. It's not Pittsburgh and 2. I am here backing it up and I rarely, if ever, participate in this kind of talk. This is not a speculative type of a situation. This is like, it's on the table and it's up to two parties if it happens, one of those parties being Phil Kessel himself.

I figured it wasn't Pittsburgh.

LeBrun's quote is the one that's telling of the Pittsburgh perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'd be fine with bringing Hagelin back because having Guentzel, Rust, McCann, Hagelin and Zucker in their top-9 makes me aroused.

Agreed!

On Hagelin his point production last 2 seasons is 29 points per 82 which is pretty average but he brings a **** ton of pressure which we really lack . EDIT: Obviously if the contract is reasonable (3mil max) and we can fit it in.

Also :)........

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm pretty firm in my stance that if we're revamping the forward corps and bringing in guys like Hags, Zucker and Rask, that Hornqvist needs to be moved. I love Hornqvist's passion, but I think he's way closer to becoming another Lucic than he is suddenly rebounding and turning into a 25g, 50pt guy on the third line with Bjugs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Would rather just buy out Johnson and play Pettersson in the top 4 than bring in a more expensive crap player.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm pretty firm in my stance that if we're revamping the forward corps and bringing in guys like Hags, Zucker and Rask, that Hornqvist needs to be moved. I love Hornqvist's passion, but I think he's way closer to becoming another Lucic than he is suddenly rebounding and turning into a 25g, 50pt guy on the third line with Bjugs.

So absolutely consistent production for 4 years, slowed for a couple month by multiple concussions means you think he’s likely another Lucic?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Guentzel-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Zuccarello
Mccann-Bjugstad-Simon
ZAR-Blueger-whoever

That seems really solid IMO. Multiple wing options for Sid/Geno and without Kessel/Horny there are no forbidden combos which is huge.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So absolutely consistent production for 4 years, slowed for a couple month by multiple concussions means you think he’s likely another Lucic?
Sure, because he's not getting any younger and the injuries aren't going to stop piling up with the way he plays and the abuse he takes every shift he's on the ice. He makes $5.3 million, and he scored 2 ES goals in the final 45 games of the season. I realize concussions have an awful effect, and I realize that because I'm still dealing with severe effects more than a decade after I stopped playing, but they don't just stop happening when you're getting the snot kicked out of you nightly.

Age and injury will turn him into Lucic before his deal is over, I'm absolutely, 100% confident in that. It may not be there yet, but we're a whole lot closer to that reality than people seem to want to think. Even if he rebounds and isn't a complete disaster at ES, he's still going to be on the third line and he's still going to have Bjugstad as his center. Hornqvist has always been a complimentary guy, and he probably isn't going to be able to produce close to the degree a guy making north of $5 million needs to on Bjugs' wing.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I don't think it would be a sure thing, I could easily see Teddy outplaying Rask even if Rask is mediocre.

Well the good news is we have a lot of versatility.

We know Simon, Bjugstad and Hornqvist are a decent line. I have no doubt Blueger could be an effective third line center for us. I look at it like this. Guentzel, Crosby and Zucker would most likely be our first line. Then McCann - Malkin - Bjugstad. Simon, Rask, Hornqvist. Then Aston-Reese, Blueger, Rust. That's a pretty solid fourth line.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
Yohe on Crowley show tonight thinks if they move Johnson that they keep rest of defense. Isn't quite as sure about forward however mentioned Hornqvist as possible candidate. Says what Jesse said that its basically up to Phil.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I wouldn't trade Phil, but if I were to, I would look at someone like Drouin.

Then make a move to Calgary to get Bennett and Frolik. Move Horny for stuff and sign a FA like Dingle DZINGLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad