Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "I need a White Russian"

Status
Not open for further replies.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Ridiculous that out of all the goals scored on Penguins power plays with Malkin this year, only 3/4 of them were by the Penguins. That's more a knock on the team than on Malkin specifically, but still.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I saw that earlier. Pretty crazy stuff. But my question is how does the total of that chart come out to -23 when he was -25? Or am I stupid?

Here's the correct all including breakdown:

5v5: GF 44 GA 46 TOTAL -2
4v4: GF 2 GA 0 TOTAL +2
3v3: GF 0 GA 5 TOTAL -5
Opponent scoring SHG: TOTAL -12
Penguins net empty: GF 1 GA 10 TOTAL -9
Opponent net empty: GF 4 GA 3 TOTAL +1

That is a total of -25.

Not only did Penguins allow lots of EN and SH goals this season, Malkin/Kessel-duo sucked on 3v3.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
His shot has been off for a while, and its really made that upper part of the umbrella so much weaker. Kessel can't get a shot through, Letang will pump fake for 2 minutes and Geno's shot looks weak. So I do agree Sid up there made a huge difference, Geno can do the passing down low sufficiently enough

I actually believe that Bjugs can be an upgrade over Kessel there next year. I wouldn't automatically put Jake on PP1 for Kessel, we need the right-handed shooter there.

Letang should be fined $10K for every pump fake next year. Donate it to his buddy Edgar Snyder's clients.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Here's the correct all including breakdown:

5v5: GF 44 GA 46 TOTAL -2
4v4: GF 2 GA 0 TOTAL +2
3v3: GF 0 TOTAL -5
Opponent scoring SHG: TOTAL -12
Penguins net empty: GF 1 GA 10 TOTAL -9
Opponent net empty: GF 4 GA 3 TOTAL +1

That is a total of -25.

Not only did Penguins allow lots of EN and SH goals this season, Malkin/Kessel-duo sucked on 3v3.
That makes better sense. So he was an even player in all even strength situations except for 3v3 OT. I’m not sure that really indicates to me that he’s in the midst of a rapid decline. Of course you’d expect him to be a positive player at even strength, but the way the media has been portraying it, you’d think he was about -20 at 5v5.

It is funny though. Madden has no trouble rambling on about how JJ was +10 or something since December but he’ll quickly point out Geno’s -25 without any context.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Whenever we want to criticize Geno for his 5v5 numbers, it's worth considering how much different he and Sid's stats would be if Malkin got the benefit of Dumo-Letang and Crosby had to play in front of Johnson-xxxxx night-in and night-out.

Sid's clearly a more responsible player than Malkin either way, but I bet there'd be a huge swing in the stats.

On the "minus" side for Malkin: Let's not forget the zone starts, though. Malkin almost never started in the defensive zone.

On the "plus" side for Malkin: I will point out from a minus perspective the qualitative "Malkin just got on the ice after Sid's line had a long shift and immediately got scored on without doing anything good/bad/indifferent" thing was something a few of us noticed this year. Can't blame him for those.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I actually believe that Bjugs can be an upgrade over Kessel there next year. I wouldn't automatically put Jake on PP1 for Kessel, we need the right-handed shooter there.

Letang should be fined $10K for every pump fake next year. Donate it to his buddy Edgar Snyder's clients.
Just put him on PP2 and tell him to deal with it.

Schultz
Malkin RHS (Bjugs, Kessel etc)
Crosby Hornqvist

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There's a lot that indicates this season was a blip for Malkin rather than the start of a trend. The +/- circumstances is certainly one. He also had his lowest shooting percentage since 2012-13, when he shot an abysmal 9%.

He was actually better on faceoffs than he had been the past couple years.

Also, the training/fitness narrative around him is a load of crap. Malkin trained with Mike Kadar for a couple years, and he trained with a Pens staffer this summer and the Pens raved about his approach headed into the season.

Malkin's not Sid or Letang, but he does fine in taking care of himself.

If the Pens trade him, it'll be the stupidest move in the franchise's history.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not at all. I'm just saying he's not quite as driven as @Big Friggin Dummy is saying he is. BFD is saying he cares about nothing but winning. I'm pointing out that if that were really true, we would have seen more examples of that then just his words. And because you apparently need an example (and funny you bring up fitness and conditioning), if he was as dedicated as you're suggesting, the team wouldn't have to send a trainer to Russia, Malkin would have sorted it out on his own. And this isn't the first time his fitness has come up over the years.

Please cite all evidence of Malkin refusing or being reluctant to train and the team having to force him to do so. Thanks!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
That makes better sense. So he was an even player in all even strength situations except for 3v3 OT. I’m not sure that really indicates to me that he’s in the midst of a rapid decline. Of course you’d expect him to be a positive player at even strength, but the way the media has been portraying it, you’d think he was about -20 at 5v5.

It is funny though. Madden has no trouble rambling on about how JJ was +10 or something since December but he’ll quickly point out Geno’s -25 without any context.

Defensively it's not good but maybe not that terrible. The team GF though is pretty alarming. His team GF/TOI ratio is the lowest it's ever been outside of '15-'16 when he was mostly dragged down by Johnston (he was injured for a lot of that year once Sully took over from what I recall). And scoring is up league-wide.

Source: Natty Stat Trick

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Just put him on PP2 and tell him to deal with it.

Schultz
Malkin RHS (Bjugs, Kessel etc)
Crosby Hornqvist

I don't even see Schultz being on the roster as a sure thing come October.

And i really didn't see anything this year that suggests he's a better PPQB than Letang.

Reactions: HMPens

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Please cite all evidence of Malkin refusing or being reluctant to train and the team having to force him to do so. Thanks!

All I'm going to say is that his peak of absolute dominance in 2011-2012 was after he made NOOB GAINZ over the summer when the S&C coach Kadar went over there. He doesn't even look as big as that any more. He needs to get those NOOB GAINZ back and...you know, maybe add a little more on top.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Malkin's best line was with Malone and Sykora. He really could use a nasty winger that takes penalties for him and have a playmaker on the other side.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I recall most of the PP shorthanded goals being directly attributed to Phil or Letang, but whatever...I think the #s show that he was not as "bad" defensively as people like to contend, and he's always had a good deal of TOs and penalties but it seemed excessive this year...where I do fault him and think he had a "bad" year was offensively--as primarily an offensive player with a large % of O zone starts, he wasn't particularly good at scoring goals this past year, either at ES or on PP compared to past years...
It seems like every time Malkin shoots he missed the net wide. He scores way more often when he shoots it low.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
All I'm going to say is that his peak of absolute dominance in 2011-2012 was after he made NOOB GAINZ over the summer when the S&C coach Kadar went over there. He doesn't even look as big as that any more. He needs to get those NOOB GAINZ back and...you know, maybe add a little more on top.
That was also around his age 25/26 season which also happend to coincide with a lot of stars' "prime" ages.

There has neve been anything to suggest he's not dedicated or hard-working when it comes to S&C. He's also 1 year removed from doing this:

IDK. Not sure why we're spending time on this.

Reactions: Shady Machine

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
we have no salary cap space :laugh:
Don't let your dreams be dreams.
upload_2019-5-6_14-37-32.png

upload_2019-5-6_14-38-34.png

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Several issues with that.
1) The cap isn't likely to be 83m. If we're lucky it'll be above 82m.
2) You still need to spend at least 1.4m, if not 2.1m on a 13/14F and a 7D.
3) MP is likely to get a lot more than 2m.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

I would be ok with that I think, Sid is going to have to be that one-timer threat bc I don't really remember Bjugs doing any

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
On the "minus" side for Malkin: Let's not forget the zone starts, though. Malkin almost never started in the defensive zone.

On the "plus" side for Malkin: I will point out from a minus perspective the qualitative "Malkin just got on the ice after Sid's line had a long shift and immediately got scored on without doing anything good/bad/indifferent" thing was something a few of us noticed this year. Can't blame him for those.

Would you rather start in the d-zone with Letang and Dumo 100% of the time or with JJ and xxxxx 0% of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad