Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "I need a White Russian"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Hags aint getting what he had. He'll get a contract around 3 or so mil at like a few years at most.

He's heading into his journey man career...he'll be on a lot of teams from now until the end of his NHL career. He's just too inconsisten offensively to give money or term too. But he's a great guy to give a 1 year deal to and to trade for at the TDL.
Meh other than being fast I don't care if we have him. Another offensively inept player isn't what we need.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
On the "minus" side for Malkin: Let's not forget the zone starts, though. Malkin almost never started in the defensive zone.

On the "plus" side for Malkin: I will point out from a minus perspective the qualitative "Malkin just got on the ice after Sid's line had a long shift and immediately got scored on without doing anything good/bad/indifferent" thing was something a few of us noticed this year. Can't blame him for those.
I posted this numerous times throughout the season. i thought it was just me being a fanboy. I will at some point try to rewatch all the goals against but I swaer that more than half of them happend on line change...Having said that, Geno is still reposnsible to get at least 60 ES golas through the season...how many open looks did his teammates miss, it would be awesome seeing that ....Geno has to tkae a charge and start scoring goals...none of this s... would happen...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I posted this numerous times throughout the season. i thought it was just me being a fanboy. I will at some point try to rewatch all the goals against but I swaer that more than half of them happend on line change...Having said that, Geno is still reposnsible to get at least 60 ES golas through the season...how many open looks did his teammates miss, it would be awesome seeing that ....Geno has to tkae a charge and start scoring goals...none of this s... would happen...

Geno himself shot really poorly too. And of course, Kessel isn't actually a good 5-on-5 player.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I'll also add that I think Sid's line had bad changes, typically after they had an extended period of time in the offensive zone. They wouldn't pressure the puck well enough once the other team recovered it and the opponents often had really easy transition play. Remember it's faster for opponents to get their forwards on the ice than our guys in the 1st/3rd period when we're both exiting the opponents' zone.

I'm a Geno fanboy too - despite how critical I've been of him here - so take this observation with a lil' salt.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Brock Nelson should be all over the Penguins radar. Perfect fit.

Unless we can trade Hornqvist without taking back much salary, I'm not sure how we would afford it. Because if (when?) we trade Kessel, we will still need to replace him with someone who has some skill.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The team wouldn't step in if it wasn't needed.

Lol okay. I think I am done with this nonsense. There are plenty of things to critique about Geno's game, but questioning his fitness and willingness to train is not something I'm willing to hear without legit evidence. All you have provide is vague statements and one offseason what, 7 years ago, where the Pens trainer went to Russia with Geno to help him train.

By the way, Kadar went to Russia the off season after Geno had flipping knee surgery. Stupid lazy Russian.

For two weeks last summer Kadar lived in a Marriott in Moscow and worked Malkin through the latter stages of his rehabilitation from right knee surgery. The result was a 109-point season that brought Malkin the Hart Trophy, Art Ross Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award.

Their bond was so strong and the training so necessary that Malkin asked Kadar to come for four weeks this summer. Kadar, who is not married and has no children, leaves Sunday and won't return to North America until Aug. 10.

"Evgeni showed last year from his rehab to his training with Mike Kadar just a different level of commitment off the ice and preparation coming into the season," Bylsma told NHL.com. "The good thing is instead of doing the two weeks, Mike is going to go there for almost four weeks. That to me is just another indication of Geno saying, 'Hey, I want to be at that level again.' That's pretty impressive."
Kadar doesn't want to take credit for Malkin's MVP season, but he does express pride in at least giving Malkin direction.

For instance, in all the time Malkin spent in Russia as a child and teenager developing into an elite hockey player, he never had a personal trainer. Kadar said he was "somewhat shocked" to learn that, especially because most of the players from Canada and the United States that he knows have had personal trainers for years.

"But then again, I never knew of his world prior to meeting Geno and spending time with him in North America," Kadar said. "I was a little bit shocked, but what does that tell you about Geno, how successful he's been without having someone to work with."

Malkin Bringing Trainer Back to Moscow

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol okay. I think I am done with this nonsense. There are plenty of things to critique about Geno's game, but questioning his fitness and willingness to train is not something I'm willing to hear without legit evidence. All you have provide is vague statements and one offseason what, 7 years ago, where the Pens trainer went to Russia with Geno to help him train.

By the way, Kadar went to Russia the off season after Geno had flipping knee surgery. Stupid lazy Russian.

Malkin Bringing Trainer Back to Moscow

One can only speculate based on his season this past year, I agree...but there were some signs his training may have lagged this past summer or year...first, he mentioned that he was going to be skating earlier and more last summer so that he could have better starts to the season and there were Instagram posts of him skating with Kovalchuk...that takes time away from off ice training...second, he kept falling down a lot and had a hard time separating and/or getting another gear and also didn’t stop and turn on a dime much, which requires a strong core...he started off the season well and then seemed to fall off, which also suggests fitness...I don’t think his issues were completely fitness...I also think he lost confidence in his ability to separate, dangle and shoot but they both seem to have fed off each other...

And I say this as his third biggest fan next to @KIRK and Geno’s mother....

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
One can only speculate based on his season this past year, I agree...but there were some signs his training may have lagged this past summer or year...first, he mentioned that was he was going to be skating earlier and more last summer so that he could have better starts to the season and there were Instagram posts of him skating with Kovalchuk...that takes time away from off ice training...second, he kept falling down a lot and had a hard time separating and/or getting another gear and also didn’t stop and turn on a dime much, which requires a strong core...he started off the season well and then seemed to fall off, which also suggests fitness...I don’t think his issues were completely fitness...I also think he lost confidence in his ability to separate, dangle and shoot but they both seem to have fed off each other...

And I say this as his third biggest fan next to @KIRK and Geno’s mother....

It's funny... there's been posts on here for years talking about Malkin's lassez fair attitude towards his fitness. And for the most part, this board has accepted that and never questioned that. Yet the second I suggest that he's not nearly committed to winning (BFD said he cared only about winning and nothing else) as BFD suggests, everyone is up in arms about how there's no proof he's not committed to training, etc etc etc. And yet the week before when people were talking about his lack of commitment to his fitness, no one said boo, other than to agree with it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's funny... there's been posts on here for years talking about Malkin's lassez fair attitude towards his fitness. And for the most part, this board has accepted that and never questioned that. Yet the second I suggest that he's not nearly committed to winning (BFD said he cared only about winning and nothing else) as BFD suggests, everyone is up in arms about how there's no proof he's not committed to training, etc etc etc. And yet the week before when people were talking about his lack of commitment to his fitness, no one said boo, other than to agree with it.

Perhaps because there's only so much stupidity worth engaging?

And perhaps because this summer, unlike summers in the past, the Penguins trainer went to work with Malkin and the results clearly sucked . . .

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Proof is in the pudding for Sid:
Marchand, Bergeron, Hall.
He played with all of em recently and it was fantastic.

In terms of right now and looking at the lower level wingers/F's(outside of Panarin, Skinner, Duchene who'd all be great with them) with an eye to the UFA market.

Zucc, Nyquist and maybe Ferland.
I'd pick those 3 over Eberle.

In terms of trade, Domi(who JR tried to get) would've been great. Zucker, of course.
ETA: Stone would've been amazing with a well playing Geno, imo.

I keep thinking that Stone would have been awesome, but he's locked up forever now.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You're assuming that every NHL GMs think like you. That's a mistake.

Let's break this down: If you offered up Hornqvist alone for a 7th round pick to all 22 Teams not on his NTC, you'd have 22 GMs jumping at that. That's just undeniable. Even if they don't want him or can't afford him on their roster, they'd be able to immediately flip him for something better.

Now, you add JJ. As I always say, you're not looking to sell 10,000 units here, you only need 1 buyer.
  • There are always teams in this league who need to get to the cap floor
  • There are always teams who have cap space to spare
  • There will always be GMs who LOVE players like Hornqvist
  • and, hell, there's probably still a GM or two who think JJ is a good player
There's ALWAYS a coach who thinks "I alone know how to get the best out of this player". Hornqvist has had many great years and Jack Johnson is a former 3rd overall pick and even though those things don't mean a damn as far as future output goes, again, you'll always find a GM or Coach with the hubris to think they know better. We have a couple on this team, in fact.
Again, nobody is going to take two players who are 32, take up $7+ million in cap per season for four more years, and are coming off abysmal seasons in exchange for a 7th round pick. Horny had 2ES goals in the final 43 games of the season. JJ isn't even an NHL-caliber player.

Could you dump Hornqvist for a 7th? Of course. Could you dump JJ for a 7th? Maybe. Could you dump that much dead cap for that many years on a team with no salary coming back? I'm extremely skeptical.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Again, nobody is going to take two players who are 32, take up $7+ million in cap per season for four more years, and are coming off abysmal seasons in exchange for a 7th round pick. Horny had 2ES goals in the final 43 games of the season. JJ isn't even an NHL-caliber player.

Could you dump Hornqvist for a 7th? Of course. Could you dump JJ for a 7th? Maybe. Could you dump that much dead cap for that many years on a team with no salary coming back? I'm extremely skeptical.

Ottawa? Need to reach the cap floor...
EDM? Holland loves those contracts

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Geez... Malkin sure turned out to be the **** magnet this season.

Looking forward to when everything get's defused back to reality.

I think that I may be looking forward to him saying okay to a trade, giving the Pens a list, and then telling him they better trade him by end of summer, because he's played his last game as a member of the Penguins and if they don't, he'll spend the 2019-2020 season in Russia (not retire, and help the Pens get the cap space . . . just spend the year away and re-evaluate the following summer).

Then again, I've always enjoyed watching a nice dumpster fire . . .

giphy.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

'Extremely skeptical' is pretty charitable, because NOBODY is paying a 7th for Jack Johnson. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad