Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "I need a White Russian"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wonder if Arizona would take JJ if we add a sweetener. Like swapping first round picks and adding ZAR or Simon.

Kessel+1st+Simon+Johnson

14th+Fischer+ late round pick

Your 12 forwards are Sid, Geno, Bjugs, Blueger, Guentzel, Fischer, McCann, ZAR, Rust, Hornqvist, and 2 FA signings. Or Garrett Wilson, I guess...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Brock Nelson should be all over the Penguins radar. Perfect fit.

Bleh...no thanks.

Soft player who is only good at scoring goals. He's just a better brandon Sutter...

Weird how he played hard this year in a contract year. As opposed to all his other years of being a soft floating noodle.

Reactions: BillPrep

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Would you rather start in the d-zone with Letang and Dumo 100% of the time or with JJ and xxxxx 0% of the time?

I know I'm supposed to say "lol Letang and Dumo obviously" but that may not be true. I don't know whether teammate quality outweighs zone start % or not statistically.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
If you're expecting Hornqvist's value to be that substantial, meaning valuable enough for someone to take JJ's dead cap without sending a significant amount of cap back, you're going to be sorely disappointed.
You're assuming that every NHL GMs think like you. That's a mistake.

Let's break this down: If you offered up Hornqvist alone for a 7th round pick to all 22 Teams not on his NTC, you'd have 22 GMs jumping at that. That's just undeniable. Even if they don't want him or can't afford him on their roster, they'd be able to immediately flip him for something better.

Now, you add JJ. As I always say, you're not looking to sell 10,000 units here, you only need 1 buyer.
  • There are always teams in this league who need to get to the cap floor
  • There are always teams who have cap space to spare
  • There will always be GMs who LOVE players like Hornqvist
  • and, hell, there's probably still a GM or two who think JJ is a good player
There's ALWAYS a coach who thinks "I alone know how to get the best out of this player". Hornqvist has had many great years and Jack Johnson is a former 3rd overall pick and even though those things don't mean a damn as far as future output goes, again, you'll always find a GM or Coach with the hubris to think they know better. We have a couple on this team, in fact.

Reactions: iFishyHD

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Several issues with that.
1) The cap isn't likely to be 83m. If we're lucky it'll be above 82m.
2) You still need to spend at least 1.4m, if not 2.1m on a 13/14F and a 7D.
3) MP is likely to get a lot more than 2m.
1) Even if its lower than expected, McKenzie was speculating maybe 85M at one point. Need the final numbers to be released, but until then I am sticking at 83M personally, probably an optimistic take, but oh well.
2) Theres 2M left for extra skaters. Johnson or Palve would be the likely 13th forwards at this point, and Palve is under 800k. Trotman/Ruhwedel/Prow won't cost you over 900k for one of them as a spare dman.
3) Based on what? I think he would rather take a bridge than anything, he is only 22. I don't think he will be a hot commodity for offer sheets either.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
IF the Pens trade Kessel and don't trade Letang or Schultz, I've always wondered how this PP would work:

Schultz
Malkin Letang
Crosby Hornqvist

Reactions: DesertPenguin

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I guess if we had to trade one of Malkin or Letang, I'd trade Malkin, as we don't have another elite #1D on the roster, we do have a Sidney crosby at centre though.

But in a perfect scenario, we keep both and fix the real problems on the roster. Not trade the guys who are the only few positives to the team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s why I wouldn’t be totally opposed to Ferland signing here. Ferland - Malkin - Rust would be a pretty solid 2nd line.

I’d be concerned about bringing Ferland here...for one, he would cost about $5+ million a year and second, he’d be injured a lot going by past history.... as soon as he’s injured, ZAR will be put there, and then he’ll promptly be injured...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
IF the Pens trade Kessel and don't trade Letang or Schultz, I've always wondered how this PP would work:

Schultz
Malkin Letang
Crosby Hornqvist

I'd like to see that. Letang should be better on the half wall given less options, and can one-time. Jake unfortunately would be best where Sid plays.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
More hilarious recommendations for what the Pens need to do this summer...

3 offseason objectives for the Pittsburgh Penguins
the only one that was silly was picking Hagelin back up. he's likely going to want a similar contract to what he had. they'll have to move several contracts to bring him back in. might as well target cheaper younger players if you want to go back to the speed route.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd be ecstatic to land Tyler Johnson. Gamer come playoffs and can play C or W. Great 5v5 scorer and PKs.

He led Tampa in 5v5 goals, that has to say a lot to how good he is, considering what that team did in the regular season. I'd exchange Kessel for TJ some way. Whether it be getting TJ with a 1st from a Kessel deal or some prospect.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Piggy-backing off my original thoughts on salary dumping multiple players for a 7th round pick...
  1. Offer Hornqvist+Maatta+Gudbranson+Johnson to the 22 teams not on Hornqvist's NTC for a 7th round pick
  2. Re-Sign RFAs (These figures based off Matt Cane's projections + 10%)
  3. Re-Sign the very serviceable Chad Ruhwedel (again, I tacked on 10% to Cane's projection)
You now have $13M of Cap Space (conservatively) to improve upon this roster:
p.png

This would be an example of extremely poor asset management but when you've made this many bad signings, you can improve your team with just pure salary dumps.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
the only one that was silly was picking Hagelin back up. he's likely going to want a similar contract to what he had. they'll have to move several contracts to bring him back in. might as well target cheaper younger players if you want to go back to the speed route.

Hags aint getting what he had. He'll get a contract around 3 or so mil at like a few years at most.

He's heading into his journey man career...he'll be on a lot of teams from now until the end of his NHL career. He's just too inconsisten offensively to give money or term too. But he's a great guy to give a 1 year deal to and to trade for at the TDL.

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Actually, that was the only one I see possibly happening, given that 1) JR has decided to throw out analytics in favor of push back and 2) Horny is likely not going anywhere, and they appear like they’d rather entertain trades for Phil and Geno...

Reactions: domaug

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I don't even see Schultz being on the roster as a sure thing come October.

And i really didn't see anything this year that suggests he's a better PPQB than Letang.
He doesn't cough up as many shorties, and I haven't seen anything this year to suggest he's worse than Letang either.

If you really want Letang on PP1, then put him in Kessel's spot with Schultz at the top. Problem solved.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Moved the topic of players for Crosby/Malkin to this thread. The posts from that thread are located on the first two pages here.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
On the "minus" side for Malkin: Let's not forget the zone starts, though. Malkin almost never started in the defensive zone.

On the "plus" side for Malkin: I will point out from a minus perspective the qualitative "Malkin just got on the ice after Sid's line had a long shift and immediately got scored on without doing anything good/bad/indifferent" thing was something a few of us noticed this year. Can't blame him for those.

At 5v5 with Malkin on the ice, the Pens got 54% of the scoring chances, including 52.86% of the high danger scoring chances. They only got 48.89% of the goals scored with him on the ice. That's a sign of bad luck.
(Numbers from naturalstattrick.com)

The team wouldn't step in if it wasn't needed.

Except that it was Malkin who asked Kadar to come to Moscow, not the team insisting on Kadar going to him.

From the first time Kadar went to Russia:
Another reason was to put Malkin -- who suggested the visit -- through a rigorous training regimen.
Penguins' Malkin grasps training benefits

And the second time:
Evgeni Malkin felt so strongly about the direction and training he received from Pittsburgh Penguins strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar last summer in Moscow that soon after the season ended he told reporters the two would be back at it this summer.
The problem is, Malkin forgot to ask Kadar first.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568216
"He walked into my office and said, 'Kadarov,' which is what he calls me, 'you come to Russia to help me this summer?'" Kadar told NHL.com, laughing as he started the story. "I said, 'Do you want me to?' He goes, 'I already tell media you go.' I was like, 'Well, I guess I'm going, Geno.'"
Malkin Bringing Trainer Back to Moscow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad