Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Forget the whale ... We'll buy the place with beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Its November 5th.

Av's Vegas and Vancouver are also playoff teams, you can't go by the standings on November 5th.

I think the Sens will probably be a playoff team, but i think its about a 70% percent chance, its not a lock at all.

Before the year most people weren't predicting them to be a playoff team this year from what i saw.

Yeah but many people also had Montreal in the playoffs too...lol

No one knows but OTT's biggest problem so far has been their inability to play their defensive structure yet at home, so they are giving up many goals. They've had no problem scoring. Stone has been on fire. Again, can't really see Duchene as a better fit there than Turris

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not even sure if that matches it to be honest. Maybe if the deal was:

Canadians get Maatta
Penguins get Duchene
Avs get Sprong, Mete, Poehling (25th pick in 2017), Pittsburgh 1st, Montreal 2nd and Pittsburgh 3rd

Maybe that's a close to equivalent trade? Maybe?

Fairly close? Maybe another pick is throwing in to balance it out but it would all depend on a Maatta return. Say Sprong is about equal to Komanev and the picks are a wash because the Pens could use their own. Does Maatta get a Girard and newly drafted early round C prospect? Probably safe to say he would, but it becomes a question of who would really want Maatta and has those pieces? And could afford the salary now and later.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well no, because part of the reason the deal got done was because of the combined package going to Colorado.

So if it was just the Pens and Colorado, the Pens would have to compensate by themselves for what two teams offered Colorado.

Not at all. They got that much because 3 teams were involved. Had it been just two teams, it would have been a very good roster player, Sprong, 1st, 2nd.

Now you can argue the Pens don't have that roster player they needed or wanted (a clear #1B/#2a C that Turris is), but they certainly had a top winger.

So in retrospect the Pens didn't have what either team needed which is a top 2 line C to give up.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Nashville has a surplus at center. Pens aren't bringing back Bonino at that cap hit, but maybe a trade for one of the centers that they need to move anyway.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The pieces the Avs got:

Kamanev: LW that was a 2nd round pick in 2014, has had 2 good seasons in the AHL and is a PPG player so far in the AHL this year
Girard: LD that was a 2nd round pick in 2016, demolished the QMJHL last year with 75 points in 59 games and is currently in the NHL (will be a regular for Colorado)
Bowers: C that was a 1st round pick in 2017, has had an alright start with BU as a freshman
Hammond: Hammond is Hammond, nothing groundbreaking. Just a money move
1st from Ottawa, 2nd from Nashville and 3rd from Ottawa

If you think the Penguins could have matched that, oh boy. The Penguins didn't have what it took to get Duchene. I can't even come up with an equivalent package for that with the Penguins, they just don't have the pieces.
Mother of God. And Lindros is only signed for next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nashville has a surplus at center. Pens aren't bringing back Bonino at that cap hit, but maybe a trade for one of the centers that they need to move anyway.

Jarnkrok ? Better than Sheahan at the same cap hit....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Weird trade. Nashville gets better, Colorado gets worse, Ottawa stays about the same?

I doubt the Predators are going to do the Penguins any favors.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You'd think that Jarnkrok would be attainable with the Predators having Johansen, Turris and Bonino down the middle for the foreseeable future. I don't think they'd trade him here though and you'd need to give them something that helps now to get him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You'd think that Jarnkrok would be attainable with the Predators having Johansen, Turris and Bonino down the middle for the foreseeable future. I don't think they'd trade him here though and you'd need to give them something that helps now to get him.

They saw what C depth down the middle can do. They won't give up anyone.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not even sure if that matches it to be honest. Maybe if the deal was:

Canadians get Maatta
Penguins get Duchene
Avs get Sprong, Mete, Poehling (25th pick in 2017), Pittsburgh 1st, Montreal 2nd and Pittsburgh 3rd

Maybe that's a close to equivalent trade? Maybe?

Just because you don't know the prospects doesn't mean they're not good prospects. Girard put up 75 points in 59 games as a defenseman in the QMJHL last year, Kamanev is a Kapanen level forward prospect who's currently at a PPG in the AHL and Bowers was a late 1st rounder in 2017.

Didn’t say they weren’t good prospects but I’m not seeing anything Sakic can point to as blue chip or can’t miss. Have you watched them play? Feel free to comment.

Looks a lot closer to the return Kessel got than some haul.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still rather go for Haula. Preds will ask Sprong from us if we wanna take from them.
Any of the Knights Cs would be a good fit here I think. Haula, Eakin, Lindberg or Karlsson. They'd need to retain some salary on Eakin though.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Honestly the best move is too trade Bones away....Jarnkrok is half the cost and basically as good....

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Which is why we wont be getting Jarnkrok. Why would they wanna make us better when they would be competing with us?

You keep saying this, do you see where they are and why they made a trade?

There's no guarantee either of these two teams make it back to the finals this year.

That's the only place they can meet.

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Sprong + Jarry + Lauzon + 1st, 2nd, 3rd would've been close to getting it done. But to get Duchene at the full $6mil would be really tight and we can really use Sprong's RFA years.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I guess the Sens being a budget team factored into the trade. Turris is a FA after this year and Duchene, Brassard and Karlsson all for this year and next.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You keep saying this, do you see where they are and why they made a trade?

There's no guarantee either of these two teams make it back to the finals this year.

That's the only place they can meet.

Place is irrelevant at the start of November unless you're Arizona bad. Long season. Trade presented itself, so why not go for it if it improves your team right now and future? unless you're making it with the team you're going up against. I doubt Pens make the finals with how fatigued they are but a GM must not wanna make Pens a better team, I would not wanna make Pens better unless I got something great in return. I dunno why a GM would want to help out THE team to beat knowing they might have to go up against them assuming they make it. I'd not wanna do any deals with that team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Place is irrelevant at the start of November unless you're Arizona bad. Long season. Trade presented itself, so why not go for it if it improves your team right now and future? unless you're making it with the team you're going up against. I doubt Pens make the finals with how fatigued they are but a GM must not wanna make Pens a better team, I would not wanna make Pens better unless I got something great in return. I dunno why a GM would want to help out THE team to beat knowing they might have to go up against them assuming they make it. I'd not wanna do any deals with that team.

The Pens have helped St. Louis and Detroit as of late. Maybe teams are starting to think we are charitable??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad