Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Forget the whale ... We'll buy the place with beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The pieces the Avs got:

Kamanev: LW that was a 2nd round pick in 2014, has had 2 good seasons in the AHL and is a PPG player so far in the AHL this year
Girard: LD that was a 2nd round pick in 2016, demolished the QMJHL last year with 75 points in 59 games and is currently in the NHL (will be a regular for Colorado)
Bowers: C that was a 1st round pick in 2017, has had an alright start with BU as a freshman
Hammond: Hammond is Hammond, nothing groundbreaking. Just a money move
1st from Ottawa, 2nd from Nashville and 3rd from Ottawa

If you think the Penguins could have matched that, oh boy. The Penguins didn't have what it took to get Duchene. I can't even come up with an equivalent package for that with the Penguins, they just don't have the pieces.

Because we are not stupid. What a rip off LoL! I was right, Sakic would only trade Duchene if he's ripping the other team off.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As much as I loved the idea of Reaves, I agree he doesn't fit the identity, neither does Kuhn. I think JR will address this, no reason to think he won't...

YAK would fit that identity and yes, he would score more than Hags.

Comparing Hags/Yak makes no sense. Hags does a lot defensively and on the PK. Yak does nothing like that. They are apples/oranges. Hags problems on not producing is a different issue which makes Hags a luxury. I love what he does defensively and on the PK, but boy he needs to produce.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's a haul but it's not that young established top 4 LD, 1st and A prospect. It's going to be about how those players and picks pan out.

True. It is potentially better though. Lot depends on Girard.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yep. I'm glad JR did his due diligence on Duchene, but every Penguin fan would be losing their **** if we gave up something similar.
That's the funny thing here, I can't even come up with a package that's similar to that from the Penguins to compare it to. The Penguins only have 1 prospect (Sprong) on par with any of Bowers, Girard or Kamanev, and Duchene just brought back 3 prospects on par with Sprong, plus a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Sens fans seem fine with the deal.

I feel like Ottawa fans are ignoring that they gave up Turris in this evaluation. Turris, Bowers, a 1st and 3rd for Duchene is a lot.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I am a little disappointed because I thought there was a very small chance Jimmy could swoop in at the 11th hour and snag Duchene. The price paid was absolutely an overpayment. Maybe other dominos will fall and a real potential third line center becomes available for the Pens to land.

Fingers crossed to hoping this Sheahan 3C experiment ends quickly:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The pieces the Avs got:

Kamanev: LW that was a 2nd round pick in 2014, has had 2 good seasons in the AHL and is a PPG player so far in the AHL this year
Girard: LD that was a 2nd round pick in 2016, demolished the QMJHL last year with 75 points in 59 games and is currently in the NHL (will be a regular for Colorado)
Bowers: C that was a 1st round pick in 2017, has had an alright start with BU as a freshman
Hammond: Hammond is Hammond, nothing groundbreaking. Just a money move
1st from Ottawa, 2nd from Nashville and 3rd from Ottawa

If you think the Penguins could have matched that, oh boy. The Penguins didn't have what it took to get Duchene. I can't even come up with an equivalent package for that with the Penguins, they just don't have the pieces.

Sprong (Kamenev)
Connor Hall (Girard) :sarcasm:
? (Bowers)
Hagelin (camp dump)
1st, 2nd, 3rd

Yeah, I don't think the Pens have anywhere close to the type of pieces that Colorado ended up with. Not unless you replaced Bowers with a guy like Sheary or Rust, or replaced Girard with a Maatta.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
True. It is potentially better though. Lot depends on Girard.

Yeah, it'll be interesting.

That's the funny thing here, I can't even come up with a package that's similar to that from the Penguins to compare it to. The Penguins only have 1 prospect (Sprong) on par with any of Bowers, Girard or Kamanev, and Duchene just brought back 3 prospects on par with Sprong, plus a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Sprong + 1st + Lauzon and then Maatta traded for other pieces would probably be our comparable. Something like that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't even think Ottawa is a lock to make the playoffs, their is a chance that first round pick could be a lottery pick.

They overachieved last year, they aren't some powerhouse team.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don’t know any of the prospects and their 1st will be pretty late. I’m not seeing the ripoff. If anything Sakic needed a piece or two with some NHL proven value. You get picks for expiring contracts and to create cap space. Other than that, they’re lottery tickets.

Turris with Johansen takes Nashville to another level. Underrated player who can take a lot of pressure off of RJ in terms of matchups and offense.

Kinda weird though the Sens wouldn’t just extend Turris. Must be convinced Duchene is considerably better.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
OMG i can't believe the Av's got that much, congrats to Sakic.

WTF is Ottawa thinking? They gave up so much.

I think it's bizarre they really wanted Duchene. Does the GM understand how his coach plays the game? Defensive positioning is crucial, as is two-way play. Turris fits a lot better than Duchene. I understand they weren't going to re-sign him, but I'm not sure Duchene is going to work well there. We'll see I guess

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't even think Ottawa is a lock to make the playoffs, their is a chance that first round pick could be a lottery pick.

I doubt that’ll be a top ten pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong + 1st + Lauzon and then Maatta traded for other pieces would probably be our comparable. Something like that.

I'm not even sure if that matches it to be honest. Maybe if the deal was:

Canadians get Maatta
Penguins get Duchene
Avs get Sprong, Mete, Poehling (25th pick in 2017), Pittsburgh 1st, Montreal 2nd and Pittsburgh 3rd

Maybe that's a close to equivalent trade? Maybe?

I don’t know any of the prospects and their 1st will be pretty high. I’m not seeing the ripoff. If anything Sakic needed a piece or two with some NHL proven value. You get picks for expiring contracts and to create cap space. Other than that, they’re lottery tickets.

Turris begins Johansen takes them to another level. Underrated player who can take a lot of pressure off of RJ in terms of matchups and offense.

Kinda weird though the Sens wouldn’t just extend Turris. Must be convinced Duchene is considerably better.

Just because you don't know the prospects doesn't mean they're not good prospects. Girard put up 75 points in 59 games as a defenseman in the QMJHL last year, Kamanev is a Kapanen level forward prospect who's currently at a PPG in the AHL and Bowers was a late 1st rounder in 2017.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

You know that OTT has one less point than the Pens in two fewer games....and are in playoff position now. They are good...

Edit...oh and they have a****load more ES goals than the Pens

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It was a 3 way trade guys, the Pens would have had to match Ottawa's package only. Or if they were in on Turris then Nashville's package.

Neither are that intimidating on their own.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was a 3 way trade guys, the Pens would have had to match Ottawa's package only. Or if they were in on Turris then Nashville's package.

Neither are that intimidating on their own.

Well no, because part of the reason the deal got done was because of the combined package going to Colorado.

So if it was just the Pens and Colorado, the Pens would have to compensate by themselves for what two teams offered Colorado.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Suffice to say the cupboards would be completely bare. 1st + 3rd and Sprong gone for sure.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
OMG i can't believe the Av's got that much, congrats to Sakic.

WTF is Ottawa thinking? They gave up so much.

What's interesting about this is that so many here always say you can never get good value out of trading Geno or Letang. Well????? Not saying we should, not saying we ever will, but.....

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well...I can see Nashville going back to the finals now, but then I also said same thing with Caps when they got Shattenkirk. But their situation is all mental, Preds actually made it to the finals. Now wait for Poile to trade Rinne++ for Price at a 7M cap hit (just kidding).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's interesting about this is that so many here always say you can never get good value out of trading Geno or Letang. Well????? Not saying we should, not saying we ever will, but.....

Because acquiring a couple of prospects and a couple of draft picks would make the chances of the Pens winning a Cup within the next couple of years a lot more difficult than having Geno or Letang (well, err, Geno right now) on the roster would?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You know that OTT has one less point than the Pens in two fewer games....and are in playoff position now. They are good...

Edit...oh and they have a****load more ES goals than the Pens

Its November 5th.

Av's Vegas and Vancouver are also playoff teams, you can't go by the standings on November 5th.

I think the Sens will probably be a playoff team, but i think its about a 70% percent chance, its not a lock at all.

Before the year most people weren't predicting them to be a playoff team this year from what i saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad