Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Every time I refresh, I panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's funny to think if you entertained the thought at the end of last season of moving either, Dumoulin or Jake, you'd have every erupt here in just calling anyone that dared propose it - an idiot.

Now, it could be a reality thanks to the spot we are in.

What a time to be a Pens fan.
Well, if it could be a reality it really shouldn't be. I don't see how giving up such a player moves us forward. If we are to part with someone we need to deal from a position of strength or deal a player who needs a change of scenery. We're stacked at RW, if there's one position we can deal from and still retain plenty of quality and depth, that would be where to go.

And I'm not keen on giving up Rust or his speed, but the cupboard would be far from empty (at that position) if in fact he was moved. I think a package of Maatta and Rust would bring quite a bit. Although again I'd hate to lose Rusts speed. In any case that IMO is a much better way to manage our assets.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, if it could be a reality it really shouldn't be. I don't see how giving up such a player moves us forward. If we are to part with someone we need to deal from a position of strength or deal a player who needs a change of scenery. We're stacked at RW, if there's one position we can deal from and still retain plenty of quality and depth, that would be where to go.

And I'm not keen on giving up Rust or his speed, but the cupboard would be far from empty (at that position) if in fact he was moved. I think a package of Maatta and Rust would bring quite a bit. Although again I'd hate to lose Rusts speed. In any case that IMO is a much better way to manage our assets.

I am not a fan of the moves that might happen or could happen or being proposed but the reality is, the team stinks and the GM is not going to fire the Coach, so the next "logical," and I use that word loosely here, move is to move players until it wakes the team up. Which....is really going to suck when the team still stinks and the Coach is fired and we could have kept those guys if the new guys don't work out as well as we hoped.

There are a few teams that might be looking for a shake-up move as well.

LA - Fired their coach, still stink, we already dipped into that one though.
STL - Yeo is still there for now, JQ might go back (which would really suck, please hire Vigneault instead?), but they haven't made a huge trade yet outside of the ROR one, ROR has looked solid there at least...
VGK - Pens have a good relationship with them, getting Schmidt back might be huge for them to turn things around, getting a top 4 back for nothing? Win?
EDM - Lol...what would they even move? Klefbom + for Maatta + Rust? I mean ideally, Rust would help add speed to that line-up, but what forward are we getting back?
ANA - Friedman touched on it.
CHI - Saad has been playing better, producing again, that window is gone I think.

That's just the West. I think the East is a little tougher to deal with.

Sam W Hyde

Nov 19, 2018
jr.png

Mario: You've made the team old and slow, what's the next step in your master plan?

JR: Crashing this team, with no survivors

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just a fair warning, I have nothing better to do right now and can't sleep. Consider the below a "fan-fic" and not what I want to actually happen.

Acquiring Nylander would certainly be a wake up call, considering what the Pens would have to move to get him. I'm assuming Brassard, Guentzel, Maatta, Sheahan, and perhaps Sprong would be gone. Not in the same deal, mind you.

Pens trade Guentzel, Maatta, and picks/prospects to Toronto for Nylander. Nylander then re-signs for max term. No clue on what he wants for salary and I'm not going to look it up. Toronto gets a young LW playoff performer and a LD that Babcock can fix. One of Gardiner, Hainsey, or Rielly now plays RD because of reasons. Pens get a versatile young center.

Pens then trade Brassard to a team looking for a 2nd line center. For the heck of it, let's say Winnipeg. Winnipeg then sends back Perreault and depth/picks/prospects. (Or maybe Detroit would like him for the price of Anthanasiou)

Sheahan is then jettisoned for a late round draft pick. Same with Sprong because of Sullivan. Or not. Riikola gains confidence and becomes a Calder candidate. :laugh:

Magically, the salary cap works and the Pens are left with:

Pearson-Crosby-Simon
(Perreault/Anthanasiou)-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Nylander-Hornqvist
Di Pauli-Blueger-Angello (Sprong)
Cullen-ZAR

Johnson-Letang
Dumoulin-Riikola
Oleksiak-Ruhwedel
Joe Morrow?
(Schultz)

Murray
DeSmith

And then a few years down the line the Pens sign Trocheck. And slowly phase out Sid and Geno. :(

The end.

Last thread someone said Nylander is wanting 8M a year, easy pass if true..

Reactions: Peat

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Still think if fully healthy they are...OK?
They just gotta get smarter with lineup decisions/tighten up x's and o's and try out more youth. Sample lineup:

Jake-Sid-Simon
Rust-G-Phil
Pearson-Brass-Horny
x-Cullen-x
x's are 2 of ZAR, Sprong, Haggerty, Angello, etc.

Dumo-Letang
Riiko-Schultz
JJ-Ruh/Rig

CDS till he looks like ass then it's Jarry's turn.
Give Murr all the time he needs.
They NEED to play Riiko and pray Schultz gets back quick. Ruh can fill in, in the meantime.
Olli, Sheahan are the guys i jettison immediately.

That forward group should be so much more potent than they look most nights. It's actually pretty frustrating that that group of forwards (regardless of who is on the 4th line) can't score.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That forward group should be so much more potent than they look most nights. It's actually pretty frustrating that that group of forwards (regardless of who is on the 4th line) can't score.

Here are the percentages for goals :cry:

Top 6 - 70% (42 goals)
Bottom 6 - 12% (7 goals)
Defense - 18% (11 goals)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Here are the percentages for goals :cry:

Top 6 - 70% (42 goals)
Bottom 6 - 12% (7 goals)
Defense - 18% (11 goals)

The defense is misleading a bit as well due to two guys (Letang and Oleksiak) accounting for like 9 of those goals.

That bottom six, though ... I mean, I know it's not exactly helping them win games in all these cases, but it's just so frustrating when you see other team's bottom six guys producing so well. Chiasson scored his 8th of the season tonight for the Oilers. Dude has 1 more goal than our entire bottom six. Komarov, who isn't exactly a scoring stud, already has 3 goals and 9 points for the Isles. Meanwhile, we've got to combine the totals of our bottom six guys to reach those numbers.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don’t see how you fire an assistant in season and not the head coach.

It's happened before. However usually it's ALL of them, and not just one or two. It's where the GM is expressing his displeasure and doesn't want to fire the coach and can't trade everyone.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 155997

Mario: You've made the team old and slow, what's the next step in your master plan?

JR: Crashing this team, with no survivors

Did JR purposely call up Wilson and Aston-Reese to spite Sullivan?
Did JR purposely call up Blueger (yes) and then tell Sullivan to put him in the press box and not play him once (Sully's doing)?
Did JR purposely tell Sullivan to not play Sprong?
Did JR purposely tell Sullivan to not play Archibald?

The blame for JR is as bad as that Bane, if he's Bane, Sullivan is Talia.

Reactions: Sam W Hyde

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sprong played more then Simon did in the Ottawa game.
Likely to shut up the media about it, then in turn...Sprong ended up looking good with Simon and now he'd be an idiot not to play the two together in the next game and this time, with a better offensive center than whatever Sheahan has turned into (which is far worse than what Blashill turned him into in Detroit).

Reactions: Sam W Hyde

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Likely to shut up the media about it, then in turn...Sprong ended up looking good with Simon and now he'd be an idiot not to play the two together in the next game and this time, with a better offensive center than whatever Sheahan has turned into (which is far worse than what Blashill turned him into in Detroit).

I don't care what the reasoning is... but if he keeps playing like he did, he should get more chances.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Potentially.... but it's not like Sprong was playing all that good...
To start, he was not playing all that well. But the 2-3 games before his press box duty, he was putting together some solid shifts and looked good with Malkin until he was demoted again.

So it's nice to see him look good and force himself to stay in the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad