Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Every time I refresh, I panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Seriously... every time I refresh I panic.

Hopefully JR is doing more than Thrift Shopping with his friend Malkinmore

Dr2kATqXgAAmOim

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I didn’t say they are losing because of grinders, as that is way too simplistic. I said it’s concerning they are moving away from the identity that made them so successful.

You need the right players for that to really work. I mean there's very few on this board that didn't want to see Sheary gone. They got their wish. And while it made us slower, I still like the Pearson for Hagelin deal. I think there's a very big difference between "being fast" and "playing fast". You can still play fast without having an entire roster full of speed players. The latter obviously helps, but I think you can still play a fast game if you have the players who can move the puck. And unfortunately right now we don't have those players on the blueline.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Empolean8771 said:
To make matters worse, Sheahan has been an absolute mess this season when they unnecessarily re-signed him.
@Empoleon8771
LOL what? In the same paragraph to this, you were talking about how Brassard was a poor fit due to not being the guy you'd want to do the heavy lifting. And then you say that it was "unnecessary" to re-sign Sheahan, someone who could do the heavy lifting?

Sheahan had a very good season last year, and not signing him this year (even with his current play) would have been a terrible move. It hasn't worked out all that well so far, but walking from him would have been even worse. The good news is A) there's still plenty of time to turn it around and B) it's a 1 yr deal for 2m. There's no real commitment made to him, and he's not really costing us much on the cap.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like every time we start a new thread of this, it's like when you sleep and you have that dream where you're falling and you wake up right before you hit, only to have that dream over and over again.

This is that thread.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Empoleon8771
LOL what? In the same paragraph to this, you were talking about how Brassard was a poor fit due to not being the guy you'd want to do the heavy lifting. And then you say that it was "unnecessary" to re-sign Sheahan, someone who could do the heavy lifting?

Sheahan had a very good season last year, and not signing him this year (even with his current play) would have been a terrible move. It hasn't worked out all that well so far, but walking from him would have been even worse. The good news is A) there's still plenty of time to turn it around and B) it's a 1 yr deal for 2m. There's no real commitment made to him, and he's not really costing us much on the cap.

No? Did you read what I said the cherrypicked post that you quoted? I said in the post that Sheahan wasn't capable of handling the offensive load needed to be the 3C here. The problem I brought up with Brassard was acquiring him when you needed a 3C that could both produce well and handle heavy defensive minutes. Sheahan can't produce well, and putting up 32 points while playing a ton with Kessel isn't what I consider "producing well".

Re-signing Sheahan was unnecessary with the context of Brassard already being the 3C on the roster, the Penguins re-signing Cullen and having Blueger in the AHL. It only became worse when they signed Grant. They're paying a player $2 million when they have like 4 4Cs in the organization, it was completely a bad decision to sign him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Still think if fully healthy they are...OK?
They just gotta get smarter with lineup decisions/tighten up x's and o's and try out more youth. Sample lineup:

Jake-Sid-Simon
Rust-G-Phil
Pearson-Brass-Horny
x-Cullen-x
x's are 2 of ZAR, Sprong, Haggerty, Angello, etc.

Dumo-Letang
Riiko-Schultz
JJ-Ruh/Rig

CDS till he looks like ass then it's Jarry's turn.
Give Murr all the time he needs.
They NEED to play Riiko and pray Schultz gets back quick. Ruh can fill in, in the meantime.
Olli, Sheahan are the guys i jettison immediately.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
They just gotta get smarter with lineup decisions/tighten up x's and o's and try out more youth. Sample lineup:

Jake-Sid-Simon
Rust-G-Phil
Pearson-Brass-Horny
x-Cullen-x

Dumo-Letang
Riiko-Schultz
JJ-Ruh/Rig

They NEED to play Riiko and pray Schultz gets back quick. Ruh can fill in, in the meantime.

Looks good on paper except that bottom pair.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Peat said:
Speaking of dmen, is Pysyk likely to be available with Florida having good RHD depth and some issues of their own, and am I right to believe the internet reports that says he could help with puck moving?
@Peat

Him at his best is a Cole like player except he's a RD, and I question if he can pass like Cole could at times. But he's still young, so I could see him improving down the line perhaps. But I'd move him for Oleksiak if that was an option.

Will Hunting said:
Why would anyone take Maatta of our hands? JR had the chance, but I feel like that ship has sailed. Nobody would take Maatta now.
@Will Hunting

Rutherford wouldn't have an issue moving Maatta if he actually wanted to. GMs have a much longer memory then what fans/HF do, when what you did last week is much more important then what you've done over the past 2-3 seasons.

pixiesfanyo said:
He’s the exact type of player that could insulate Oleksiak.
@pixiesfanyo

I'm not really sure that we should be trying to "insulate" Oleksiak, vs just trading him. I mean if we're going to go out and find a strong defensive D who can make a good first pass... surely we have better players then Oleksiak who we could play him with...

pixiesfanyo said:
I’d also say from the Ducks side if you are offering up Montour or Manson. Why are you not talking to Toronto?

Because Toronto doesn't have any D like Maatta or Dumoulin that they'd be willing to give up? They have young guys who have some promise but haven't established themselves, or they have some pending UFAs, and then they have a couple of guys signed to long term contracts who I doubt they'd move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat and Turin

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Looks good on paper except that bottom pair.

Well eventually, you get another D in the #3-5 range but if Riiko shows some promise, you only really need to sort out the bottom pair.

I do think a vet as close to a Cole type would be nice. Keep Rig. JJ and Riiko fight for spot #6.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Tom Hanks said:
I wonder if a trade isn’t done soon does that mean JR is looking at coaches first?
@Tom Hanks

There's currently some very good coaches sitting at home... one has to wonder if Rutherford would be willing to make that move... and how much rope those cups bought Sullivan. I wonder if there's a way to compromise in canning Recchi and getting one of them to be an assistant coach to see how things go, with the understanding that if a change is made, they'll get the gig.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I read in the last thread that Dumoulin might be a target for Anaheim. I don't know if that's true or not but I'd be 100% against it. He's our most reliable defensive defensemen. That IMO would be foolish! We need more such players, not less!

And if they aren't at that level at least someone with a modicum of skill and hockey sense who doesn't constantly feed the oppositions transition with errand passes or skates in quick sand. Nothing flashy, just a hard working consistent good first pass depth defender. Not the easiest thing to find but certainly not the hardest either.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
@Tom Hanks

There's currently some very good coaches sitting at home... one has to wonder if Rutherford would be willing to make that move... and how much rope those cups bought Sullivan. I wonder if there's a way to compromise in canning Recchi and getting one of them to be an assistant coach to see how things go, with the understanding that if a change is made, they'll get the gig.

Sullivan definitely has rope but the way we are losing it’s burning up pretty quickly. Based on points percentage to get into 8th this is what we need to happen.

30 games Dec 12th (MJ’s fire date)
20 points in 12 games 9-1-2

40 games Jan 2nd
33 points in 22 games 15-4-3

60 games Feb 19th
58 points in 42 games 25-9-8
*Thats 113 pt pace over a full season (Tampa was top of east with 113 last season).

We are 2-7-1 in the last 10 :cry:

JR is probably at least looking/thinking about a coaching change

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I read in the last thread that Dumoulin might be a target for Anaheim. I don't know if that's true or not but I'd be 100% against it. He's our most reliable defensive defensemen. That IMO would be foolish! We need more such players, not less!

And if they aren't at that level at least someone with a modicum of skill and hockey sense who doesn't constantly feed the oppositions transition with errand passes or skates in quick sand. Nothing flashy, just a hard working consistent good first pass depth defender. Not the easiest thing to find but certainly not the hardest either.

I don’t think it is that he is a target. Just if Anaheim and the Pens are trying to make a deal and it is a lateral move Dumo and Jake are the only pieces I can think of that make sense from an Anaheim perspective.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Tom Hanks

I don’t see how you fire an assistant in season and not the head coach.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Just a fair warning, I have nothing better to do right now and can't sleep. Consider the below a "fan-fic" and not what I want to actually happen.

Acquiring Nylander would certainly be a wake up call, considering what the Pens would have to move to get him. I'm assuming Brassard, Guentzel, Maatta, Sheahan, and perhaps Sprong would be gone. Not in the same deal, mind you.

Pens trade Guentzel, Maatta, and picks/prospects to Toronto for Nylander. Nylander then re-signs for max term. No clue on what he wants for salary and I'm not going to look it up. Toronto gets a young LW playoff performer and a LD that Babcock can fix. One of Gardiner, Hainsey, or Rielly now plays RD because of reasons. Pens get a versatile young center.

Pens then trade Brassard to a team looking for a 2nd line center. For the heck of it, let's say Winnipeg. Winnipeg then sends back Perreault and depth/picks/prospects. (Or maybe Detroit would like him for the price of Anthanasiou)

Sheahan is then jettisoned for a late round draft pick. Same with Sprong because of Sullivan. Or not. Riikola gains confidence and becomes a Calder candidate. :laugh:

Magically, the salary cap works and the Pens are left with:

Pearson-Crosby-Simon
(Perreault/Anthanasiou)-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Nylander-Hornqvist
Di Pauli-Blueger-Angello (Sprong)
Cullen-ZAR

Johnson-Letang
Dumoulin-Riikola
Oleksiak-Ruhwedel
Joe Morrow?
(Schultz)

Murray
DeSmith

And then a few years down the line the Pens sign Trocheck. And slowly phase out Sid and Geno. :(

The end.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Jake-Sid-Simon
Rust-G-Phil
Pearson-Brass-Horny
x-Cullen-x

Dumo-Letang
Riiko-Schultz
JJ-Ruh/Rig

The bold has been an issue since last year. That's the issue this year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t think it is that he is a target. Just if Anaheim and the Pens are trying to make a deal and it is a lateral move Dumo and Jake are the only pieces I can think of that make sense from an Anaheim perspective.
From a PIT perspective I think he is close to an untouchable. And LD in particular is very thin behind him. I'd rather make no trade than a foolish one. Or even think of trading away our best player from a position we're rather precarious at. If they want Maatta and we get less return I'd much prefer that. But trading Dumoulin doesn't sound prudent to me. I sincerely hope JR thinks carefully about that.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From a PIT perspective I think he is close to an untouchable. And LD in particular is very thin behind him. I'd rather make no trade than a foolish one. Or even think of trading away our best player from a position we're rather precarious at. If they want Maatta and we get less return I'd much prefer that. But trading Dumoulin doesn't sound prudent to me. I sincerely hope JR thinks carefully about that.

It's funny to think if you entertained the thought at the end of last season of moving either, Dumoulin or Jake, you'd have every erupt here in just calling anyone that dared propose it - an idiot.

Now, it could be a reality thanks to the spot we are in.

What a time to be a Pens fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->