Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Does it even Maatta? The defense is still absolute Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Have what...3 year window with Crosby/Malkin still being our best players? Goal should be to get another cup within 3 years. And then once those two start slowing down a bit(instead of being top 5 players in the league they move down towards 10th lol) we add players around them to make them better. Thats if Malkin is staying after his contract..which I hope he does but we'll see.

Big 3 years for Pitt sports. Ben has his last 3 year contract, hoping to get one more Superbowl. And for the Pens...one more cup within these next 3 years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Depends how Whatever develops.

But Id find a top dman for 2nd pairing and hope Bellerive/Bjorkvist can be that guy

Yeah. I think you are absolutely on the right path with the bolded.

Still... think ultimately he will need more for his line. I'm OK with Hornqvist... I guess... but you have to have something with some punch on the other side. Hornqvist is a total boner with the puck.

Same with the other more complimentary guys on the team. I'm OK with one on Malkin's line... but you can't stick the guy with two third wheels. Especially after all the robble this offseason about him "needing to shape up." Double especially if he has two clownshoe defensemen playing behind him, as well.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I haven’t been on here much today so I don’t know if this was discussed...but this is not a good sign...the body was barely dead and you’d think if there were plans to trade him someone would have said don’t bother or something...

Jack Johnson Stats and News

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK and domaug

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Same.

Next Oiler in line to do well elsewhere
Yeah I'd be all over that. Simon also fits what the oilers want for him. A 3rd line winger. Also one that is solid at both ends and quick. I think the addition of Kahun makes Simon redundant af. Puljujarvi is a kid that we can use, Sprong for Pettersson left us with a hole for a top end forward that can help us now or very soon. Puljujarvi is big and a kid that will be looking to get back on track. Would really thrive here I think.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
We don't have to solve all our issues before the season starts. JR is aggressive in the season as it is.

Kessel for Zucker
Rust/1st for Ehlers or offer sheet Kap
Gudbranson for Martinez
Pray Horny figures it out on the 3rd line and his PP production stays high. We want him to rebound to trade him next summer when he has movement ability in his trade clause.

That would be ideal. We have 2 top lines again and 2 decent D pairing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We don't have to solve all our issues before the season starts. JR is aggressive in the season as it is.

Kessel for Zucker
Rust/1st for Ehlers or offer sheet Kap
Gudbranson for Martinez
Pray Horny figures it out on the 3rd line and his PP production stays high. We want him to rebound to trade him next summer when he has movement ability in his trade clause.

That would be ideal. We have 2 top lines again and 2 decent D pairing.
I'd actually look at moving horny so he's used better elsewhere. He's never going to fit the usage this team is going to throw at him and his contract doesn't justify that. I love the guy but I'd move him at this point.

A lot of people are going to be surprised by Kasper btw. I've been singing his praises for a few years now, just wait and see.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I'd be all over that. Simon also fits what the oilers want for him. A 3rd line winger. Also one that is solid at both ends and quick. I think the addition of Kahun makes Simon redundant af. Puljujarvi is a kid that we can use, Sprong for Pettersson left us with a hole for a top end forward that can help us now or very soon. Puljujarvi is big and a kid that will be looking to get back on track. Would really thrive here I think.

From the Pens perspective though, it would have to be Rust or Bjugs or hopefully JJ...we need to get more salary out than Simon...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only teams that need a backup and don't have their own version of Jarry are Toronto, Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton as far as I can tell. There isn't much of a market for backups or young goalies right now, pretty much every team has a good prospect on par with Jarry.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I'd actually look at moving horny so he's used better elsewhere. He's never going to fit the usage this team is going to throw at him and his contract doesn't justify that. I love the guy but I'd move him at this point.

A lot of people are going to be surprised by Kasper btw. I've been singing his praises for a few years now, just wait and see.

What type of trade do you see happening without salary retention?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From the Pens perspective though, it would have to be Rust or Bjugs or hopefully JJ...we need to get more salary out than Simon...
If you move Simon and a late pick for Puljujarvi and then move Hornqvist, we're in a very good spot. Hell with that kind of cap space I'd maybe even look at Perry for a 1yr deal on the cheap, he can possibly have the James Neal effect on Geno.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If he was going to "rebound", why wouldn't it have happened last season after a rough POs and the trade rumors? Instead we saw his worse season yet in terms of his overall play.

Once again, I'm not sure about this Rip. His points/60 at ES of 2.3 was his highest since his 2013-14 season. Primary assists at ES were 1.0 / 60, only the 2nd time in his career he averaged that high. His shots were down after about game 20 because no one was getting him the puck effectively, cutting his goal totals. If Geno could win a faceoff, he'd probably have a couple more goals right off draws.

I'm highlighting ES production here, because everyone knows about the PP production.

He's just not a good mix with the bad/frustrated/injured version of Geno unless they've got some actual support from the LW and D, which they got very little of last year. Probably easier to find some supporting pieces for our elite talent than vice versa.

Here's a quote from Foligno of the BJ's I saw today from Yohe:

“The way I look at it is pretty simple. As long as you have Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel on the same hockey team together, then you’re always going to be a threat to be a great team, and to be a championship team. That’s how I look at it. Those guys have been that good, and they still are that good, from the standpoint of someone who plays against them a lot.”

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Hornqvist is not as hard as you think to move.

I agree, but I get yelled at in the other trade board when I suggest anything with Horny because they think we need to retain salary or add. He should go to a team that struggles on the PP and has a top 6 line that is FAST like he played with in Worlds.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree, but I get yelled at in the other trade board when I suggest anything with Horny because they think we need to retain salary or add. He should go to a team that struggles on the PP and has a top 6 line that is FAST like he played with in Worlds.
The first mistake you made was trying to propose it in the trade forum on the mainboards where idiots reside.

Hornqvist had a rough year yeah, but he's also a guy that people know is a playoff beast and comes with a ton of experience. His cap hit isn't even bad in comparison to some of what other GMs dole out.

Reactions: ownal

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Potentially clears up the Kessel situation if Arizona was hesitant because of this.

I thought at first the ownership was the issue, but from all accounts Ari really wants Duchene. So maybe it wasnt about the money and they just arent interested in Kessel?

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
The first mistake you made was trying to propose it in the trade forum on the mainboards where idiots reside.

Hornqvist had a rough year yeah, but he's also a guy that people know is a playoff beast and comes with a ton of experience. His cap hit isn't even bad in comparison to some of what other GMs dole out.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if he doesn't hit 50 points this year. No way he repeats what he did the last 40 games of last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad