Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Does it even Maatta? The defense is still absolute Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe teams should have waited a bit to figure out how the cap was going to look to do all those big trades.

Hahaha... right? I love all the hand-wringing. Spending like a drunken sailor without worry of consequence was the whole reason this system was implemented in the first place.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think it's gonna right about at 82.

What are the factors in the cap stagnating? Business bad, lately? Kinda seems like it but I don't have any of the numbers.

The main factor is the players using their 5% escalator. Last season they used 1.5% of it to artificially boost the cap. But given that almost every team is spending well over the mid point, all that means is more money in escrow coming off their paycheques every payday. I suspect that they won't want to use it at all.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The main factor is the players using their 5% escalator. Last season they used 1.5% of it to artificially boost the cap. But given that almost every team is spending well over the mid point, all that means is more money in escrow coming off their paycheques every payday. I suspect that they won't want to use it at all.

Thanks. I honestly haven't kept up with the CBA since the original cap was implemented.

Is everything still tied to revenues? Is this indicative of (even more) disinterest in the sport? Last I checked ratings were... not so good. What's the TV deal looking like?

Sorry for playing 20 questions.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Thanks. I honestly haven't kept up with the CBA since the original cap was implemented.

Is everything still tied to revenues? Is this indicative of (even more) disinterest in the sport? Last I checked ratings were... not so good. What's the TV deal looking like?

Sorry for playing 20 questions.

Yes it's all tied to revenues. No, not at all. I suspect that the US TV deal will pay a lot more than it currently is. Not like the Canadian one, but a hell of a lot more than what they were getting before.

I don't think revenues are slowing down so much as the cap % has gone from 57% (05-12) to 50% (12/13+) and in the years since (with IIRC a couple of grace years), the players have slowed down their willingness to artificially inflate the cap with their 5% escalator.

And while not having the cap increases blows, I think within a year or so we'll stop getting used to having 2-4m bumps and just getting bumps from the actual league revenue and be fine. This is also a good thing to stop/slow down before the CBA expires as it should hopefully help with preventing a lockout as escrow (which is needed to be sure of a true 50/50 split) is something the players hate, and this helps ease that pain.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You indicated that Sid should just pick who he wants, so what does the coach (Sully) actually do?

Allowing Sid to handpick his line mates is silly. I mean he normally picks Rust when it clearer isn't in his best interest (or the teams)

The key is to have Crosby clear-headed, productive, fully engaged and happy. That is how you maximize 87. Again, if he does not like playing with someone, why force-feed it? It is not like this is a regular occurrence. Dude spent years with crappy wingers and turned water into wine. If I were the GM, I would not even give the coach the option to play Hornqvist with Crosby. I would move Hornqvist. ESPECIALLY because he isn't really a fit for Malkin's line either.

The only teams that need a backup and don't have their own version of Jarry are Toronto, Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton as far as I can tell. There isn't much of a market for backups or young goalies right now, pretty much every team has a good prospect on par with Jarry.

Which is why Casey DeSmith is the more attractive goaltender for a lot of teams.

Potentially clears up the Kessel situation if Arizona was hesitant because of this.

Assuming the new ownership group wants to jump right in and spend.

And again, most of the speculation in Arizona is about landing a center (Matt Duchene), not a winger.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You saw my other link I hope where JJ has decided to co-opt Maatta’s old number...doesn’t sound like he thinks he’s going anywhere...

giphy.webp

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Look at how the Blues deployed their D. Bottom 3 averaged 12 minutes a night. We need to get a top 4 LD like Martinez. What do we have to offer LA to do that trade?

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
Lee - Malkin - Zucker
Mccaan - Bjugstad - Kap
Simon - TB - Zar

Offer sheet Kap @ 4.2
Kessel for Zucker
Sign lee @ 6 million
Rust for picks or Rust/JJ for a cap dump to Ottawa?

Dumo - Letang
Pedds - Schultz
Riik - Gudbranson
Ruh/JJ

81.65 million. Fits the cap and we look better on all 3 top lines. If we did dump JJ we could get another 3.25 million.

Forgot about Horny, gosh he really doesn't fit this roster!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->