Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Does it even Maatta? The defense is still absolute Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I thought at first the ownership was the issue, but from all accounts Ari really wants Duchene. So maybe it wasnt about the money and they just arent interested in Kessel?
Maybe it's both. You can't have a C like Duchene and the cap space to get Kessel and not reap the benefits of how buzz worthy that is for that team for the first time since forever.

Duchene
Kessel
Pubestache Keller
Galchenyuk

Not bad 4.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Once again, I'm not sure about this Rip. His points/60 at ES of 2.3 was his highest since his 2013-14 season. Primary assists at ES were 1.0 / 60, only the 2nd time in his career he averaged that high. His shots were down after about game 20 because no one was getting him the puck effectively, cutting his goal totals. If Geno could win a faceoff, he'd probably have a couple more goals right off draws.

I'm highlighting ES production here, because everyone knows about the PP production.

He's just not a good mix with the bad/frustrated/injured version of Geno unless they've got some actual support from the LW and D, which they got very little of last year. Probably easier to find some supporting pieces for our elite talent than vice versa.

Here's a quote from Foligno of the BJ's I saw today from Yohe:

“The way I look at it is pretty simple. As long as you have Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Phil Kessel on the same hockey team together, then you’re always going to be a threat to be a great team, and to be a championship team. That’s how I look at it. Those guys have been that good, and they still are that good, from the standpoint of someone who plays against them a lot.”

Is this even an honest opinion or maybe an incentive to just spew some bs? Can one be sure because maybe this guy just wants to run all the soff players the Pens have...:)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Hornqvist would be open to leaving. Being used on the 3rd line and what not isn't going to sit well with him.

What makes you say that? He won two cups here and just signed that contract last year in which he wanted a NTC attached...doesn’t seem likely...just a fantasy...I’d like to trade him too but not happening imo...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well Vegas is gonna be busy. Gotta move Clarkson+Miller/Eakin/Haula atleast.

Haula and Miller for Phil saves them $500k...it’s a start...I’d do that...We’d still need to move JJ and one of Guds or Schultz then

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What makes you say that? He won two cups here and just signed that contract last year in which he wanted a NTC attached...doesn’t seem likely...just a fantasy...I’d like to trade him too but not happening imo...
If approached, I think Horny would be open to it. Sid doesn't want him on his line and he doesn't seem to work on Genos anymore. So you think with Jake now getting more pp1 time and Horny getting more 3rd line time, he's just gonna be happy to ride that out?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How? We have 5m or so in cap space at the moment. A few smaller rfas and Pettersson.

They were at the $83 million cap with keeping Kessel and signing the RFAs to what they'd get. They only have about $4 million in cap space if the cap drops to $81.5 million when they need to sign Pettersson, ZAR, Blueger and a depth forward.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
A lot of this depends on what Pettersson extends for. I think we are very very close to the cap as is.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Hornqvist would be open to leaving. Being used on the 3rd line and what not isn't going to sit well with him.

The coach and GM love him and from all account so do his teammates. He might be open to leaving but he holds all of the cards so it's not going to be easy to get any value, which we absolutely have to do. Plus, if he goes, you need to replace him in some capacity. Just a tough thing to pull off IMO.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Kessel for Zucker more or less gets us there if that comes back around.

You could also just buy out JJ if you needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad