Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Does it even Maatta? The defense is still absolute Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Who’s filling the 3/4 roster spots that are vacant from all the trades that would have to magically happen to even entertain signing him. NONE of this makes sense.

If you traded Phil for Fisher+2nd, Rust for Puljujarvi+2nd and then packaged a 2nd with JJ to Ottawa to dump him there is your cap space to sign him.

Jake Sid Kahun
Duchene Malkin Puljujarvi
McCann Bjugstad Hornqvist
Simon Blueger Fisher

Dumo Letang
Petterson Schultz
Riikola Gudbranson

Murray
DeSmith

That leaves you with $2,253,334 in cap space

Reactions: Trade

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Hockey trades for now boys. We don't have the cap to sign a UFA right now. How risky is it to just trade players for picks and then not be able to sign the UFA target? How does that go down?

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
If you traded Phil for Fisher+2nd, Rust for Puljujarvi+2nd and then packaged a 2nd with JJ to Ottawa to dump him there is your cap space to sign him.

Jake Sid Kahun
Duchene Malkin Puljujarvi
McCann Bjugstad Hornqvist
Simon Blueger Fisher

Dumo Letang
Petterson Schultz
Riikola Gudbranson

Murray
DeSmith

That leaves you with $2,253,334 in cap space
OK, like I said so a lot of this depends on magic & we end up with this... OKKKKKK ha

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Would Perry work with Malkin?

McCann Crosby Guentzel
Perry Malkin Zucker
Rust Bjugstad Hornqvist
Aston-Reese Blueger Kahun
Simon

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They can retain money on Marleau's contract like they can with anyone else. The problem is that they need as much cap space as they can get, because Dubas went full Dumbass and signed Tavares when his team didn't need him.

Marleau only wants to play for San Jose. San Jose can only afford him at dirt cheap because they're also dumb with the salary cap, so that basically requires a Marleau buyout. Seeing how he has a full NMC, he can basically force a buyout.

The interesting part is Toronto can't trade Marleau to a team with a formal stipulation that they buy him out. And Marleau as a player can't force them to buy him out. Once PM waives that NMC he's at the complete mercy of the team he's sent to. And the buyout for him isn't all that cheap (3m in bonuses, 800k in buyout salary), and comes with a hefty cap hit for this season.

Honestly I'd laugh if Marleau said f*** it, I'm not waiving and "retires" after July 1st (where he receives half of his SB for this year) and just goes home to be with his family.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Not worried about Crosby's wingers anymore...its time to focus on Malkin. Or at least provide him with a dman near Letang's level(not easy to do but could go that route with Kessel trade...Ellis/Ekholm)

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’d keep kessel and see how his season rebounds. Trade him off during the year if no one will bite, now.

The defense is the issue and on the open market, kessel is getting 9+. Him at 6.8 is a bargain for anyone. Make them realize it.

If he was going to "rebound", why wouldn't it have happened last season after a rough POs and the trade rumors? Instead we saw his worse season yet in terms of his overall play.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not worried about Crosby's wingers anymore...its time to focus on Malkin. Or at least provide him with a dman near Letang's level(not easy to do but could go that route with Kessel trade...Ellis/Ekholm)

Hey he has Hornqvist and whatever. That's good enough, right?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Would that be your stance for all newcomers, or just UFA's?

Personally, I would offer sheet a young RFA who could take over the offense long after 87 and 71 are no longer franchise players by offering more than what Malkin is making.

At the end of the day, that is the only way to get one. Otherwise, yeah by all means I would set a Crosby cap for my team. Without question.
To every forward for the next 2-3 years? I’d have to think about it on a case-by-case basis, but for now, I still think Sid is the best player in the world, so no forward is making more than him (besides the deserving Geno, obv). I’d pay certain Dmen more, but only certain ones, and only because I’d have to.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
That is an exaggeration.

You indicated that Sid should just pick who he wants, so what does the coach (Sully) actually do?

Allowing Sid to handpick his line mates is silly. I mean he normally picks Rust when it clearer isn't in his best interest (or the teams)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe I'm missing something because I'm going off boxscores/maybe 20 minutes of watching him/other people's words, but I'm don't see any stand out strengths that Prow has that R&R aren't also decent in.

who?

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Would Perry work with Malkin?

McCann Crosby Guentzel
Perry Malkin Zucker
Rust Bjugstad Hornqvist
Aston-Reese Blueger Kahun
Simon

Guentzel is terrible on the RW. You would play McCann on the off wing. Zucker is left shot and Perry a Right. Rust isn't good on the LW. Kahun would slot up to LW on L3 and rust to the 4th line. Then Rust is not worth the money playing on the 4th line.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
From reading his scouting report, I just really struggle to see him not fitting amazingly well with Crosby and Guentzel.

Same. But who knows what Sullivan will be thinking with his lines. My guess is if we had a game tomorrow our lineup would look something like this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Simon

But I fully expect JR to trade another forward before the season starts. Still think Kessel goes.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If he was going to "rebound", why wouldn't it have happened last season after a rough POs and the trade rumors? Instead we saw his worse season yet in terms of his overall play.

If you didn't see Kessel amp his play for the playoffs compared to the RS, then you clearly have an agenda.
He was typical motivated Phil: actually playing some body, backchecking and skating his arse off. He was one of the very few players who actually showed a pulse vs the Isles

Reactions: Trade and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad