Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cat On a Tin Roof, Dogs In a Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That assumes Kane is smart enough to get himself into a position where Malkin can get him the puck. I question whether Kane is actually that smart.

Even if that's true, power forward wing isn't a role that's particularly cerebral. I'd be more concerned with the cap allocation of spending money on wing when we need a center and a D than hockey IQ. That and the fact that Kane was investigated for 3 felonies during his time in Buffalo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wonder if Arizona would trade Rieder for Rust?

I'd actually try and move Sheary for him+. That gives you a way to get Kuhnhackl out of the lineup, as you're bringing in another PKer. Sheahan, Rowney/3-4C, Rust, Hagelin, Reider. Still allows you to move Hagelin, and not be forced to bring in someone who can PK.

@rt had an offer in the last thread. I would really consider that. Find a 3C and (on paper) we're laughing.

Duclair, Reider, meh G prospect, 3rd
Sheary, Hagelin (1m retained), Gustvason, 2nd

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we got him and Pageau, I'd want Pageau at 3C and IF Brass can play LW put him there. Which is why I asked if he's ever done it before, because if not then my plan is ****

You do not acquire Brassard to play him on the wing. He's a center, and will cost what centers cost to acquire. If you want a LW, go find one - they'll be cheaper to acquire anyway then a skilled #2C.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What exactly do you think you're getting for that decent package? Surely it won't be the 3C and L2 LW the team needs.

Depends on the C and LW. I think you could get Smith and a rental 3C pretty easily for some of those parts. Maybe even more if Cole is seen as someone a team wants to extend. And while Z.Smith isn't a #2LW, he is a top 9 winger, someone that would help our team, can PK, is gritty and isn't completely talentless. Even if we do not get him, I'd really like to see someone like him in the lineup. I'm not usually all that hurra need big bruisers, etc... but I want more than just Hornqvist, Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Reaves as our 'grit'. Especially as most of us want 2 - if not 3 of those 4 gone.

I'd love to see him with Malkin and a skilled RW. I think either of the below lines would be quality lines.

Smith - Malkin - Sprong
Smith - Malkin - Kessel

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd actually try and move Sheary for him+. That gives you a way to get Kuhnhackl out of the lineup, as you're bringing in another PKer. Sheahan, Rowney/3-4C, Rust, Hagelin, Reider. Still allows you to move Hagelin, and not be forced to bring in someone who can PK.

@rt had an offer in the last thread. I would really consider that. Find a 3C and (on paper) we're laughing.

Duclair, Reider, meh G prospect, 3rd
Sheary, Hagelin (1m retained), Gustvason, 2nd
I....

I don't want to give up Gustavsson in a deal like that.

Reactions: NEPA

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I....

I don't want to give up Gustavsson in a deal like that.

Definitely not. That's a bad deal for the Pens. Brutal.

Sheary is better than Rieder, at best it's a wash. Sheary even while struggling still currently has nearly as many goals as Rieder has points on the season. Even while Hagelin has been an offensive blackhole, I don't think Rieder even is much of an upgrade over him. People overestimate him.

Duclair has attitude issues and Friedman just said that Arizona hasn't gotten much interest at all towards him and when he's moved, he expects it to happen on a cheap return.

There's nothing in that deal I'd give Gustavsson straight up for. 2nd for Rieder, maybe. But overall that's a horrible deal for Pens and in that deal Pens are moving some of their best trade chips (Sheary, Gus, 2nd rounder) without getting a center in return. And then retain a million on Hagelin on top of that. Yikes. No thanks.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I would be targeting Johan Larsson from the Sabres as the C acquisition. I'm not one to believe we need a C like Brassard, Bozak etc. who are the common names thrown around. Nor do I think Pens have the expendable assets (at this point 1st rounder should not be moved) to get many of those names. Another Riley Sheahan type of acquisition is fine by me and Johan Larsson fits the bill:

- Cost controlled with being signed this and next season at a manageable $1.45 million AAV. RFA at the expiration of the deal.
- Good penalty killer.
- Decent at faceoffs.
- Good speed.
- Has some offensive skills, something which he hasn't really gotten to show in NHL yet when being used primarily on defensive role on a bad team.
- On the smaller side but plays feisty and pretty physical style.
- Hasn't produced much this season and therefore might be available at a decent price.

To me that's the ideal type of acquisition this season. Much better than Rowney as 4th line and can carry the 4th line and produce something offensively as well. Tools to be a 3rd line center and overall pretty equal player with Sheahan, thus providing some good competition between the two for ice-time. Both can play a heavy defensive role.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think you gotta aim higher than Larsson.
As JR said himself, you expect your 3C to be around a 20 goal scorer.
JR can't settle for 'maybe he can be that' 's.
I don't mind Larsson as a player and wouldn't mind having him over a Kuhn tho...

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Think you gotta aim higher than Larsson.
As JR said himself, you expect your 3C to be around a 20 goal scorer.
JR can't settle for 'maybe he can be that' 's.
I don't mind Larsson as a player and wouldn't mind having him over a Kuhn tho...

That's the ideal but for a 3rd line C to score that it almost always requires 2nd PP ice-time and spending parts of the season in an offensive roles while top-6 C is out due to injury. That's how Bonino for example got his goal totals.

You can't really expect it straight up from a C playing in a 3rd line role behind a healthy Crosby and Malkin while not getting PP-time (like Sheahan currently) though.

Brassard yearly scores around 10 ES goals in a top-6 role. How many could you expect from him in a 3rd line role here? Same goes for Bozak. There are hardly any 3rd line C's scoring 15+ goals a season in a purely 3rd line role.

Larsson has scored 9 ES goals in a season and Sheahan 10 ES goals. Having those two as your two bottom-6 C's and getting that kind of production from them on ES would be very good. Then having wingers to produce alongside them, even better.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not against trading Horny. I've long wondered about how he'd fit here if Sprong came up. Trading him for a 1st then flipping it to get Kane would probably make us stronger on paper just due to fit.

But I don't think its the only way to do it. I would be happy with Horny on line 3 and Kessel on line 2 if we could get a good LW for Malkin/Kessel another way. That goes double if we can't find that 3C we want before the deadline. Horny and Sheahan work so far. Kessel and Sheahan hasn't yet.

What I would add - and I don't like saying this - but I would consider trading Rust. Because, much as I love him, I don't see an ideal top 6 fit for him and that's expendable for the right return.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
p.s. Only 39 centres got 20 or more last season. Obviously more would have done it by pace, but then some of the centres listed were playing wing. I'm going to guess only a few teams' 3Cs had a twenty goal pace last year and a few didn't even get that from their 2Cs.

Getting a player like that is going to be really hard,

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yep.. As much as I like Horn´s attitude, he is somehow expendable, agreed with that. We struggle at ES and he is part of that. Add Sprong (meshing with Sid) to the equation and all of a sudden it´s not easy to find a spot for Hornqvist (as he is not ever gonna fit with Malkin). Yep, we have the best powerplay in the league, at least statistically speaking, and Horny is part of that. That said, we have other great players to replace him on the powerplay (Guentzel, Sprong) so I don´t think that our PP suffers that much either. Horny is also a FA, so if you can get a great asset back (and you definitely can), it makes some sense. Whether you flip that asset back to fill a bigger need (Kane) or you build for the future from it.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Hornqvist + 4th for Sobotka
Sheary + 2nd for Pageau
6th for Cullen

Guentzel/Simon Sid Sprong
Sobotka Malkin Kessel/Rust
Guentzel/Simon Pageau Kessel/Rust
Hagelin Sheahan Cullen

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Sheary for Pageau
Cole with extension for Maroon
2nd 2018 + 3rd 2019 + Hagelin for Duclair + Rieder

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Maroon-Malkin-Kessel
Rieder/Duclair-Pageau-Hornqvist
Rieder/Duclair-Sheahan-Rust
Reaves

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Oleksiak
Hunwick-Schultz
Ruhwedel

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hornqvist + 4th for Sobotka
Sheary + 2nd for Pageau
6th for Cullen

Guentzel/Simon Sid Sprong
Sobotka Malkin Kessel/Rust
Guentzel/Simon Pageau Kessel/Rust
Hagelin Sheahan Cullen

Sobotka isn’t really a big guy and I’d never add to get him for Hornqvist. Hornqvist is on track for 52 points (roughly career pace) 26 goals, 26 assists plus a good playoff performer. He’s perfectly fine as 3rd line RW/PP. We don’t want to be losing what we already have a shortage off.

If we could get that 2nd deal I’d say it’d be done already.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hopefully we can win two in a row by beating the B's tomorrow. We need to see a better level of consistency because it's really hard to gauge just which direction this team is headed. If I'm JR I'd tread carefully because of our uneven efforts. It's very hard to accurately assess a team when their just so up and down.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully we can win two in a row by beating the B's tomorrow. We need to see a better level of consistency because it's really hard to gauge just which direction this team is headed. If I'm JR I'd tread carefully because of our uneven efforts. It's very hard to accurately assess a team when their just so up and down.

I don’t think it changes too much for JR. still need a more physical LW (probably 2) and a 3C.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t think it changes too much for JR. still need a more physical LW (probably 2) and a 3C.

Their needs are evident, however can this team be trusted to put forth the necessary effort game in and game out? Until we're more clear on that I'd be very careful about which assets I'd part with. I'd hate to trade a first for example for a short term fix on a team that might not do anything but crawl into the playoffs and get trounced. I really think we need to be careful with young assets or high picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad