Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cat On a Tin Roof, Dogs In a Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not really. Without making ANY trades and just re-signing our RFA's and UFA's (mainly Hornqvist), we should have around 3-4m depending on some of the contracts that players receive, and what the final cap number is. I used 80m and the following signings:

Horqnvist: 5.5m
Rust: 2.5m
Sheahan: 2.2m
Jarry: 1.5m
Oleksiak: 1.5m
Sprong: 1.125m
Simon: 750k
Kuhnhackl: 700k

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist
Hagelin - XXXX - Simon

With ~3m or so to find another quality center, I don't think it would be that hard. All we need at the low end is someone as good as Sheahan, and at the higher end, someone a tad better than him. With some of those that will hit the market, that's not asking for that much. Bozak, Ryan, Filppula (might be a little tight), Nash, Letestu, Pleks. These are all guys who can play a 3A/B center role who's salary demands are probably going to be in a range that we can likely afford.

And if any moves are made (cough Hunwick/Hagelin cough), that free's up more space (even if some retention is needed). I also have a hard time seeing that top 9 stay together regardless of how this season plays out. Some sort of trade will happen to the forwards.

I think we need somebody a fair bit better than Sheahan for 3C, at least offensively. Bozak would be the only one of your group I would be comfortable in that role, and he's not going to come in at near 3 mil per.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Letang specifically - ehhhhh. Still not sure what player he is now. That second PMD though - I think you need better than Daley and I think its more important than Horny/Kessel. Not much use having forwards if you can't get the puck to them.

Not that I think you need to lose Letang to keep both Horny and Kessel. Until Murray's contract needs renewing, I think we can manage most things.

That's the thing. A solid 2nd pair PMD who can put up ~30 points is clearly getting the puck in the hands of our forwards, he's just not a dynamic offensive presence like Letang - to me, that's a luxury we really don't need particularly since Letang is essentially logjamming a better PP QB every time he steps out on PP1.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Caught the latest Insider Trading. Lebrun had a firm price for Kane:

1st+top prospect+conditional pick if he re-signs.

Best we can do is probably 1st+ZAR+conditional pick+a cap dump(Cole or Hags). Tested it out and the $ could work with Kane 50% retained with Cole being the cap dump if you demote a Kuhn or Rowney...Could also demote Simon for a bit if he's still waiver ineligible.

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Kane-G-Phil
Jake-Sheahan-Horny
Hags-Rowney-Rust
Sheary
Reaves

Only thing is would BUF accept ZAR instead of Sprong.
Gonna say doubt it..
Thats a helluva lineup tho(without that 3C yet)

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Best we can do is probably 1st+ZAR+conditional pick+a cap dump(Cole or Hags). Tested it out and the $ could work with Kane 50% retained with Cole being the cap dump if you demote a Kuhn or Rowney...

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Kane-G-Phil
Jake-Sheahan-Horny
Hags-Rowney-Rust
Sheary
Reaves

Gonna say doubt it...
Thats a helluva lineup tho...
I was on the sabers board....they seemed to think a first & a defense man would be fair.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Best we can do is probably 1st+ZAR+conditional pick+a cap dump(Cole or Hags). Tested it out and the $ could work with Kane 50% retained with Cole being the cap dump if you demote a Kuhn or Rowney...Could also demote Simon for a bit if he's still waiver ineligible.

Simon-Sid-Sprong
Kane-G-Phil
Jake-Sheahan-Horny
Hags-Rowney-Rust
Sheary
Reaves

Gonna say doubt it..
Thats a helluva lineup tho(without that 3C yet)

I can't see the conditional pick happening. It's very likely Kane is walking this summer, despite some Buffalo fans thinking otherwise. He's played on bad teams his entire career, and he now has the chance to fix that and command a premium.

Does anyone think he's passing that scenario up to stay in Buffalo?

Botts will have to play a game of chicken right up to the deadline I bet, because he can't just let him walk for nothing.

I think he gets a first and B prospect.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can't see the conditional pick happening. It's very likely Kane is walking this summer, despite some Buffalo fans thinking otherwise. He's played on bad teams his entire career, and he now has the chance to fix that and command a premium.

Does anyone think he's passing that scenario up to stay in Buffalo?

Botts will have to play a game of chicken right up to the deadline I bet, because he can't just let him walk for nothing.

I think he gets a first and B prospect.

Conditional pick is if he re-signs after being traded. So let's say 1st + (insert non existent top prospect) to the Pens. If Kane re-signs in Pittsburgh, JR sends Botts a 3rd or something.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Conditional pick is if he re-signs after being traded. So let's say 1st + (insert non existent top prospect) to the Pens. If Kane re-signs in Pittsburgh, JR sends Botts a 3rd or something.

No, I understand what the condition is, but I'm saying I can't see another GM doing that.

Botts will be over a barrel by deadline day if Kane isn't moved by then, and it will be a game of chicken at that point.

Botts has the most to lose if he doesn't make a deal, but all it takes is one GM to panic I guess.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No, I understand what the condition is, but I'm saying I can't see another GM doing that.

Botts will be over a barrel by deadline day if Kane isn't moved by then, and it will be a game of chicken at that point.

Botts has the most to lose if he doesn't make a deal, but all it takes is one GM to panic I guess.

Oh gotcha. I would think you'd have a few GM's interested in re-signing Kane and Botts may only allow his agent to speak to those teams that are willing to pay the conditional pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad