Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cat On a Tin Roof, Dogs In a Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I commented on this in another thread and I'll bring it in here, I really don't like the Penguins winger composition as of right now. They have way too many pure skill players and not enough gritty players, which causes a serious imbalance on their roster. What makes matters worse is that the gritty wingers have some sort of issue, where they either can't play the opposite wing (or can't play it as well as they can play their strong wing), they can't play with a certain center on the roster or they just suck. Sprong and Crosby sticking together complicates things a lot if we want Kessel and Malkin separate.

The Pens can do it IF they want . . . I think you just ended up there. And, I have been saying for some time the issue with the wingers isn't the talent, it's the mix.

And, yes, I know . . . the mix worked last year, but this year, it's about the interaction of the mix and the mental fatigue.

I agree with this, but at this point, I don't think you can make a roster that splits up Kessel and Malkin. I think you just need to try to get a winger who fits with Malkin really well on LW and keep Kessel on that line. You either have to do that or stomach Hornqivst with Malkin, and try to pull off someone like Kane for Malkin's LW. I can't see the Penguins being able to trade 3 of Rust, Hornqvist, Sheary and Hagelin during the season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I commented on this in another thread and I'll bring it in here, I really don't like the Penguins winger composition as of right now. They have way too many pure skill players and not enough gritty players, which causes a serious imbalance on their roster. What makes matters worse is that the gritty wingers have some sort of issue, where they either can't play the opposite wing (or can't play it as well as they can play their strong wing), they can't play with a certain center on the roster or they just suck. Sprong and Crosby sticking together complicates things a lot if we want Kessel and Malkin separate.

I agree with this, but at this point, I don't think you can make a roster that splits up Kessel and Malkin. I think you just need to try to get a winger who fits with Malkin really well on LW and keep Kessel on that line. You either have to do that or stomach Hornqivst with Malkin, and try to pull off someone like Kane for Malkin's LW. I can't see the Penguins being able to trade 3 of Rust, Hornqvist, Sheary and Hagelin during the season.

If you're putting Hornqvist with Malkin, there's no point to getting that LW.

Here's the other kicker . . . nobody wants the Pens to trade anyone of any value. It does complicate matters.

I'm OKAY if you're moving Sheary and a defenseman (and maybe a protected 1st) for your 3C and LW for Malkin.

I think you're stuck with Hagelin.

Reactions: Nakawick

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Has Brassard ever played LW? Because he would be cheaper to obtain with Pageau rather than Hoffman

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It might be me but I REALLY don't want to trade Maatta...he's been our best D-man I'd say

Yeah, I don't want to trade any young assets, maybe with the exception Of GUS, simply because we already have two nice young goalies. Sheary + Gus should be a decent package.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If we get him, he should play 3C. Why force him to play LW?

If we got him and Pageau, I'd want Pageau at 3C and IF Brass can play LW put him there. Which is why I asked if he's ever done it before, because if not then my plan is shit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust-Crosby-Sprong
Trade-Malkin-Kessel
Guentzel-Trade-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Sheahan-Simon (it will never happen, they'll never scratch Reaves for Simon)
Rowney-Reaves

This is what I'd shoot for at this point. Trying to spread out the talent on each line, with using Sheary, Cole, Kuhnhackl (no value but whatever) and futures as your main trade bait.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Rust-Crosby-Sprong
Trade-Malkin-Kessel
Guentzel-Trade-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Sheahan-Simon (it will never happen, they'll never scratch Reaves for Simon)
Rowney-Reaves

This is what I'd shoot for at this point. Trying to spread out the talent on each line, with using Sheary, Cole, Kuhnhackl (no value but whatever) and futures as your main trade bait.

Honestly, Reaves would be fantastic to have in the lineup against CBJ or the Caps

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's been obvious since forever the expendable pieces were Sheary, the 1st, Hagelin and Cole and the flirtation of moving a Maatta or Horny.
Things go haywire for a bit and everyones available but boil it down and it's always been the same.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's been obvious since forever the expendable pieces were Sheary, the 1st, Hagelin and Cole and the flirtation of moving a Maatta or Horny.
Things go haywire for a bit and everyones available but boil it down and it's always been the same.

I really don't want to trade Maatta or our 1st. Earlier in the season maybe, but we need these assets moving forward. Sheary, Gus, Cole I could see us move.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I really don't want to trade Maatta or our 1st. Earlier in the season maybe, but we need these assets moving forward. Sheary, Gus, Cole I could see us move.

Yea, i'd add Gus in there too as the more prime assets but a guy like ZAR probably has more value than Gus. Just the way it goes with goalie prospects unless they have NHL games played and done really well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

What exactly do you think you're getting for that decent package? Surely it won't be the 3C and L2 LW the team needs.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yea, i'd add Gus in there too as the more prime assets but a guy like ZAR probably has more value than Gus. Just the way it goes with goalie prospects.

Well, he did have a good tourny, and we have two good youngins already here, so he's an expendable piece IMO. You add Sheary and maybe Cole that's not bad. It should garner a decent return.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I feel like Sprong could do good things with Malkin as well, but Sid/Sprong are obviously gonna be kept together for at least a little while after that performance.

Imo being able to have Kessel on the 3rd line is a GOOD thing though. Maybe that type of balance will help us figure out our 5v5 scoring. It sucks for Geno since Hags/Horny are not ideal wingers for him but it might just be what we have to do for now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Doesn't both BUF and FLA need a good young goalie prospect? I could see a match there, you add Sheary and such, I think you can get a good asset coming back.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A question:

Let's say you acquire a 3C and your intent is to play him with Phil.

Let's say you like Sprong with Sid.

What do you do with Hornqvist?

Are you better off playing him with Geno OR moving him and a defenseman to get your 3C and a winger better suited for Geno?

I do not think that Sprong makes Hornqvist moveable. We may move him anyway if we can't sign him, but Sprong looking good doesn't change anything in my mind when it comes to Hornqvist. Sheary however? Completely different story. Guentzel is safe regardless and Simon doesn't have enough value to bother moving. Which leaves you with Sheary. That said... we still need to see more out of Sprong before deciding whether moving Sheary makes sense... but of our forwards, he's suddenly become a lot more available then he was 2 games ago.

While we can always want Kessel carrying the 3rd line, I think keeping Hornqvist provides you with a lot of options as to how you want to structure your lines. As to how to structure them with: Kessel, Guentzel, Sprong, Sheary, Hornqvist, Rust, Simon, Reaves and Hagelin as your wingers... obviously someone needs to go - perhaps even two someone's depending on how you feel about PKers. But PKing aside, damn are there not a TON of options as to how to line guys up. Also, as we saw last year, there's no guarantee that come PO time a line works. Having Hornqvist around to move up/down the lineup gives you even more options and a different look to a fast skilled guy.

As for tonight's game... it should be noted that NYI is the worst defensive team in the league. Lets see what happens against Boston on Sunday.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The problem with Perron IIRC was that he was slow and couldn't finish. I think G can make it work if we give him Kane.

That assumes Kane is smart enough to get himself into a position where Malkin can get him the puck. I question whether Kane is actually that smart.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maatta/Dumo-Letang
Oleksiak-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruhwedel
Get something cheap at the deadline (plus we have Corrado)

Trade bait - Cole, Dumo/Maatta

Focusing just on the blueliners. Corrado and his 11:30 a game isn't someone I'm depending on come playoff time to be anything more than the 8th or 9th D.

As for moving one of Maatta or Dumoulin, that would really depend on the deal. Not opposed to it, but ideally, we would only do so if we're bringing in a better blueliner. Move Cole/Hunwick? Sure, wouldn't really bother me. But we shouldn't be trying to put ourselves into a position where all three of Oleksiak, Hunwick/Cole and Ruhwedel are all regulars on a healthy blueline. That's just asking for trouble. And this is coming from someone who likes those guys.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That assumes Kane is smart enough to get himself into a position where Malkin can get him the puck. I question whether Kane is actually that smart.

Yeah if we are going to pay the price we want to be pretty certain although JR has made an offer for Kane so he must think so.

A Kane-Crosby-Sprong line could be pretty crazy though. Wouldn’t he be better suited with Sid?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Focusing just on the blueliners. Corrado and his 11:30 a game isn't someone I'm depending on come playoff time to be anything more than the 8th or 9th D.

As for moving one of Maatta or Dumoulin, that would really depend on the deal. Not opposed to it, but ideally, we would only do so if we're bringing in a better blueliner. Move Cole/Hunwick? Sure, wouldn't really bother me. But we shouldn't be trying to put ourselves into a position where all three of Oleksiak, Hunwick/Cole and Ruhwedel are all regulars on a healthy blueline. That's just asking for trouble. And this is coming from someone who likes those guys.

Depends on the returns you get in trade of course. If it makes the forward group all jacked up on Mountain Dew we only need the D to be ok (good positioning and good first pass). The forwards would do the rest.

We’ll always live and die because of the forwards. The D just needs to be satisfactory.

If we don’t get good deals we’ll just tinker with the forwards in trade (and probably Cole).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad