Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | Trade Deadline 2.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
According to him we're talking to Edmonton about stuff and pieces could interest JR other than Puu.

Any thoughts? And don't say McDavid :laugh:

My thoughts are that EDM has nothing available that we’d be interested in...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kassian
Petrovic
Klefbom
Pulujarvi

They're not all sexy names but depending kn who we're giving up (eg Pearson), beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah, I don’t think any of their top 4 D are actually available and I want nothing to do w Puljujarvi or Kassian...don’t think they’re the right players for us

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we're chasing one of their top 4 dmen that'd be cool.

If we're chasing Kassian/Petrovic/Rieder as cheap rentals, less cool

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we're chasing one of their top 4 dmen that'd be cool.

If we're chasing Kassian/Petrovic/Rieder as cheap rentals, less cool
We don't need anyone remarkable on defense, just a solid, smart, structured player that hopefully can push JJ out of the line up. But we don't need anyone elite.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He shouldn’t even be dressing but somehow Pearson found a way to play worse than Simon. If Simon is your best player drafted by a GM, you are doing very poorly.

While I agree drafting has been poor. Any player drafter in the late rounds that make it to the NHL is a good pick. Simon was a 5th round pick and is a fine 3rd 4th liner.

Shero was called out for bad drafting but then after he left players like rust, Murray and jake came up. I am hoping the last two years of draft and prospect signings will produce some players as long as they aren’t traded.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We don't need anyone remarkable on defense, just a solid, smart, structured player that hopefully can push JJ out of the line up. But we don't need anyone elite.

We may not need that guy but I'd like him anyway. I'd like to remodel the 2nd line, make it stronger in general. We get a guy like that with term, I'd be interested.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We may not need that guy but I'd like him anyway. I'd like to remodel the 2nd line, make it stronger in general. We get a guy like that with term, I'd be interested.
I'd like Mcdavid, Panarin and Kucherov but we don't always get what we want.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The cap doesn’t work in that scenario. Even prorated I don’t think Duchene would fit unless you move out money

Yep, we’re not getting OTT’s top two players because they want futures back and we’d need to shed salary unless Maatta goes on LTIR....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd like Mcdavid, Panarin and Kucherov but we don't always get what we want.

Thanks for that Captain Obvious. Its almost like I addressed the possibility we weren't talking those guys already...

... not to mention Edmonton moving a top 4 dman isn't impossible. Maybe a bit unlikely but possible.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Kassian
Petrovic
Klefbom
Pulujarvi

They're not all sexy names but depending kn who we're giving up (eg Pearson), beggars can't be choosers.
I like Kassian and Klefbom. Maybe Pool party if we can make him a LW. Kassian was allowed to jump off his feet for huge hits in the Oilers playoff run so I would take that vs a Caps series.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Thanks for that Captain Obvious. Its almost like I addressed the possibility we weren't talking those guys already...

... not to mention Edmonton moving a top 4 dman isn't impossible. Maybe a bit unlikely but possible.
Yes it was captain obvious, but it doesn't make it any less true. :thumbu::thumbu:

My point is we can win with non' descript depth defensemen if the Letangs, Shultzs and Dumo's play to their respective abilities. If we can upgrade on wing with Geno THAT's the position of most importance. Upgrading the D without making a splash and without giving up key assets IMO is the way to go. Plenty of such players out there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yes it was captain obvious, but it doesn't make it any less true. :thumbu::thumbu:

My point is we can win with non' descript depth defensemen if the Letangs, Shultzs and Dumo's play to their respective abilities. If we can upgrade on wing with Geno THAT's the position of most importance. Upgrading the D without making a splash and without giving up key assets IMO is the way to go. Plenty of such players out there.

Well it isn't true because those players aren't comparable :P

But sure, we can win with lesser light dmen if Letang/Schultz/Dumo are all going... but that's been really rare over the last three years as two of the three are really injury prone. Adding another guy who can carry that load would be huge and potentially just as beneficial for Geno as any wing.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well it isn't true because those players aren't comparable :P

But sure, we can win with lesser light dmen if Letang/Schultz/Dumo are all going... but that's been really rare over the last three years as two of the three are really injury prone. Adding another guy who can carry that load would be huge and potentially just as beneficial for Geno as any wing.
And what assets are you willing to part with in acquiring such a player?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And what assets are you willing to part with in acquiring such a player?

Depends on the player but, given that I'm willing to trade Kessel for the right dman in the summer, probably quite a lot.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The only pieces that the Penguins should be interested in should be Zack Kassian, Alexander Petrovic and Kevin Gravel. The rest of our players are pretty mediocre and wouldn't really add anything for a team destined for a playoff run. Out of those three players, I would say that Kassian and Gravel would make the most sense. Kassian has been able to produce playing with star players (Kassian-McDavid-Draisaitl); however, he takes stupid penalties and is inconsistent. Gravel is just a decent top 6 D who has a low cap hit. He is better than Petrovic for sure.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Depends on the player but, given that I'm willing to trade Kessel for the right dman in the summer, probably quite a lot.
I wouldn't want to give up Kessel for such a defender, that would not be my preference. If however we move him, garner some cap space and by extension pick up a couple young assets AND pursue a guy like Stone in free agency, I'd be inclined to consider it. But not for a defensemen 1 for 1.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
- He blocked TB. That alone made it stupid.

- They admitted after trading him back, they thought he was gritty and physical. That’s borderline negligence to think because he was big he was physical. Did they not even review tape on him?

- Last summer he signed Hunwick... it was an awful deal and he had to pay Buffalo with Sheary to get rid of him.

- He signed Niemi and then traded him within a month.

- He traded for Reaves, but his coach never wanted him.

- Signed JJ and touted him as an offensive defenseman.

- Signed Grant and later admitted he wasn’t this gritty guy they were hoping for.

- The Brass trade was a colossal failure.

I was happy with the Reaves and Brass deals when they went down. I also know JR was told from higher ups to get a guy like Reaves as well. However, Sullivan never wanted Reaves. So there are some factors to weigh in there, but ultimately the final verdict is both trades blew up in his face.

He’s also gotten away from the blueprint that made this team successful and has been chasing size and grit.

JR simply hasn’t done a very good job the last two years, it’s just reality.

Brassard blew up in his face.

Reaves was a weird one.

Johnson is a disaster.

Other than that there aint any complaints from me...

Oleksiak/Niemi/Grant/Sheahan all fall into the cheap depth that is usefull until you dont need it anymore. Then you can move on easily and pain free.

Hunwick didnt work out but id rather pay him to sit in the pressbox than to have Johnson.

Still a fan of the Pettersson trade and the Pearson trade. Locking up CDS & Guentzel & Rust. I like Bjustad and McCann so far.

So mixed bag. Like everyone else. Compared to the stretch where he spun straw to gold for 2 year its disapointing but not outright bad IMO.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You seem like a glass is always empty kinda guy. I don’t think I have ever read a positive post from you.
Let me guess, you think we will be able to move this awful contract without any problem, right?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1st+Addison+Simon probably gets you Duchene provided WPG or NSH doesn’t dangle Tolvanen or Vesalainen
In what world would that get you Duchene? Simon is barely an NHL player and Addison is a complete unknown. 29 other teams can make a better offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad