Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | Trade Deadline 2.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Said before that the Oil makes sense in terms of poaching one of thier young D to give them help in scoring support up front.
I'd be trying to get a Nurse or Klefbom from them tho in a bigger deal vs the Petrovic's and Gravel's.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
- He blocked TB. That alone made it stupid.

No that doesn't. Grant being here allowed TB to work on his offensive game, something that prior to this season was fine in the AHL, but also wasn't anything special. That alone was a good thing for TB and for us.

in the last 2 years in my opinion jr has done a very poor job ,lets see he's acquired reeves,sheahan,Broussard,and olesiak who have since been traded back out ,and pearson seems to be a bust as well,the jury still out on peterson also his pick ups in free agency have been bad as well niemi,hunwick, and now johnson ,and also not 1 of his draft picks are playing on this team ,oh wait he trades most of our picks ,so i pretty much have lost faith and trust in any of his moves

A) you're wrong, Simon was a 2015 pick and is playing on the team. And while Sprong isn't here any more, he was used in a 1-1 deal for Pettersson who was drafted the year before and has been a regular ever since he was acquired.
B) I think you're forgetting how long most player's take to develop. Rust for example didn't play an NHL game until his 5th season post draft, and wasn't a regular until his 6/7th season post draft. Dumoulin took even longer to be a regular.

He shouldn’t even be dressing but somehow Pearson found a way to play worse than Simon. If Simon is your best player drafted by a GM, you are doing very poorly.

He's a rookie in his first full NHL season playing at a 36pt pace - despite having played poorly for the last half dozen games or so. Prior to this recent rough patch, he was playing at a 42pt pace. Some clearly have some very unrealistic expectations of players.

Jimmy,

Undo your mistakes and find suitors for Bjugstad, Johnson or Pearson.

Why is Bjugstad a mistake?
I don’t want to trade Bjugstad. Why are people low on Bjugstad?

You're talking about a poster who called Simon "barely an NHL player". So I'm not sure that asking this question and expecting a rational answer is a realistic expectation.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This is a good question.

The only possible sane answer I see is that he doesn't seem to be filling a big team need and we have big team needs. But I'm pretty sure that's not what's going through everyone's mind right now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Said before that the Oil makes sense in terms of poaching one of thier young D to give them help in scoring support up front.
I'd be trying to get a Nurse or Klefbom from them tho in a bigger deal vs the Petrovic's and Gravel's.

And why is Edmonton going to trade one of their top young blueliner's? These are guys who are playing 24/25 minutes a night for them. We're not getting them for anything we would be willing to give up.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And why is Edmonton going to trade one of their top young blueliner's? These are guys who are playing 24/25 minutes a night for them. We're not getting them for anything we would be willing to give up.

Well you give them Olli+scoring punch up front and maybe they think about it.

But no really.
I think you could get them talking with Olli+scoring punch up front.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
If Duchene or any UFA wants to play in Pittsburgh, we can sign them for free in the summer. Team should not spend big on a UFA this deadline.
Adding Duchene at the deadline would give Pittsburgh an extra piece to strengthen their shot at the cup. It also gives them a leg up in re-signing him. Given all the comments Duchene has said that he wants to play on a winning/perennial cup contending team, I think he would sign in Pittsburgh to play with Sid in a heart beat.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I’m not low on him, but he’s our 4th best RW and makes $4.1m. If he’s not able to play LW, I don’t really see a fit.

I also have an open mind and would be interested to see him on the 3rd line with Horny and McCann.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Probably just a 1st, then some B/C level prospect that Dorion could spin are guys he's targeted.
I don't think it would be wise for the Pens to move our first. The way we're playing, the uneven efforts, the liabilities we have on defense, I'm not sure if it's wise for us to push that many chips in the middle. But I could see the Sens wanting a first.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
LOL yeah OK pal LOL

Honestly, we both know that JR has had a woody for Duchene dating back about 30 months and IF he somehow could get in on it right now, he would, but JR doesn't have the available toys or cap flexibility to make a deal with Ottawa now.

Reactions: Nakawick

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Adding Duchene at the deadline would give Pittsburgh an extra piece to strengthen their shot at the cup. It also gives them a leg up in re-signing him. Given all the comments Duchene has said that he wants to play on a winning/perennial cup contending team, I think he would sign in Pittsburgh to play with Sid in a heart beat.

Yep. I'd be down for Duchene in a heartbeat.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
We can do that and keep our assets though. We also need to clear cap space. I would certainly be fine with adding Duchene to the roster as a FA, provided he is OK being the 3rd best center and/ or playing wing with Geno or Sid. We may be a better fit for a pure winger instead of getting someone who is primarily a center.

But trading our very limited futures and potential cheap contracts for a UFA this year (especially with the team currently fighting for a playoff spot), the risk of that UFA walking is too great. That could potentially cripple our cup window.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
We can do that and keep our assets though. We also need to clear cap space. I would certainly be fine with adding Duchene to the roster as a FA, provided he is OK being the 3rd best center and/ or playing wing with Geno or Sid. We may be a better fit for a pure winger instead of getting someone who is primarily a center.

But trading our very limited futures and potential cheap contracts for a UFA this year ( especially with the team currently fighting for a playoff spot), the risk of that UFA walking is too great. That could potentially cripple our cup window.
You cannot add Duchene for these playoffs and keep your assets. You could potentially make him an offer in the offseason though. As I pointed out, it may be easier to sign him after he's experienced a playoff run with Pittsburgh.

You make a fair point about trading for a pure winger. I am not sure if Duchene would prefer to sign with a team in the summer that has a centre position for him. From what I've seen Duchene has always played as a winger in international hockey.

As far as potentially crippling your cup window, I dont seeing how trading away a 1st and some prospects would cripple it. Obviously adding a player of Duchene's calibre (especially if they can sign him) would extend it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rutherford's avoided big name deadline rentals so far in favour of guys with term and, even allowing for his crush on Duchene, I'm not sure why that's changing when he's already spent most of his shopping money already.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
You cannot add Duchene for these playoffs and keep your assets. You could potentially make him an offer in the offseason though. As I pointed out, it may be easier to sign him after he's experienced a playoff run with Pittsburgh.

You make a fair point about trading for a pure winger. I am not sure if Duchene would prefer to sign with a team in the summer that has a centre position for him. From what I've seen Duchene has always played as a winger in international hockey.

As far as potentially crippling your cup window, I dont seeing how trading away a 1st and some prospects would cripple it. Obviously adding a player of Duchene's calibre (especially if they can sign him) would extend it.
I think I am inclined to let this roster play out the season without spending more. Let it sink or swim. Of course Duchene would be a nice add, but the roster has too many holes that need plugged and addressed before I would pay the expensive cost to acquire a UFA.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I haven't seen Bjugstad playing (besides 1 and 1/3 games) but if he gonna end up in the same mold as Pearson, they'll need to move on from both. Because it's not a good use of a cap space.

I think JR went too far with the idea that all the players will get magically fixed there. If I'm understanding it right, both players have had very good season(s) under their belt some time ago, but have been struggling since.

Idk about Bjugstad, but Pearson only has his shot going for him. Otherwise he doesn't bring much, even tho he tries being involved away from the puck, but he isn't much helpful because he's pretty slow and doesn't win much battles and he also pretty ineffictive with the puck.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think I am inclined to let this roster play out the season without spending more. Let it sink or swim. Of course Duchene would be a nice add, but the roster has too many holes that need plugged and addressed before I would sprnd the expensive cost to acquire a UFA.
Fair enough, you know Pittsburgh's roster far better then me.
I always think Pittsburgh is a cup favorite though, no matter where they are going into the playoffs.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think I am inclined to let this roster play out the season without spending more. Let it sink or swim. Of course Duchene would be a nice add, but the roster has too many holes that need plugged and addressed before I would sprnd the expensive cost to acquire a UFA.
I just wouldn't want to part with our first and we know that's very likely gonna be part of the ask. TBH this team hasn't warranted us to go all in based on our efforts this season. To many points pissed away against bad teams.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rutherford's avoided big name deadline rentals so far in favour of guys with term and, even allowing for his crush on Duchene, I'm not sure why that's changing when he's already spent most of his shopping money already.

And they haven’t worked super well and we’ve only got 3 years left and have already banked 3 Cups so let’s go big and shoot our shot wooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad