Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | The JR Did What ?!?!?! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I want to expand on the Murray Broduer comparison. In 94-95 Broduer was the 3rd youngest player on the Devils and their roster or "core" if you will..late 20's and early 30's. Very similar to the current make up of the current Pens. They had a couple of disappointing seasons but weren't done winning cups. But eventually they made necessary adjustments to get their next 2 cups.

I get it though..different team philosophy and a much, much different era in the 90's and early 2000's. And in no way am I saying Murray is or will be Broduer. But My point is there is a similar make up, Its not over yet. And As long as we make the right personnel adjustments we can still have success with Murray

Reactions: DegenX

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I want to expand on the Murray Broduer comparison. In 94-95 Broduer was the 3rd youngest player on the Devils and their roster or "core" if you will..late 20's and early 30's. Very similar to the current make up of the current Pens. They had a couple of disappointing seasons but weren't done winning cups. But eventually they made necessary adjustments to get their next 2 cups.

I get it though..different team philosophy and a much, much different era in the 90's and early 2000's. And in no way am I saying Murray is or will be Broduer. But My point is there is a similar make up, Its not over yet. And As long as we make the right personnel adjustments we can still have success with Murray

If anything these past two years do us a favor after next season because Murray’s contract likely gets in the 4-5 mil range.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
I have no issues with MM... I think he is still the real deal
Remember he is the ONLY rookie to have won the cup twice

Maybe he has more injuries than a normal player but that doesnt help a guys momentum

Oh and if you havent lost a parent, you dont know how that impacts someone... I lost my father nearly 5 years ago and I still struggle every day with it

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Oh and if you havent lost a parent, you dont know how that impacts someone... I lost my father nearly 5 years ago and I still struggle every day with it

I'm sorry to hear you still struggle. I lost my mom (she was only 54)to cancer over a year and a half ago. And I have only been emotional the day of. I haven't been emotional about it since. I'm not sure whether or not I struggle..either i tune it out or I'm ok. I feel like I'm ok but it is still new to me to grasp to say whether or not it hits me years from now

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd like to see us target Jaden Schwartz this off-season.

Could be ripe for the picking, and he's exactly the type of player who would thrive here.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re Murray's consistency - very few NHL starters have more than 6 quality starts out of every 10 (defined as at least average save percentage iirc). If even the guys in red hot form can't manage better than that, you've got to accept that a lot of games Murray just won't have a great save percentage.

What do you guys think Pettersson gets? $3.25??

I would like to rubbish this post but given how he keeps racking up the assists and how Rutherford often jumps straight to the big numbers for players he likes, I can no longer totally rule that out.

That said - this one keeps coming up and when you look at the numbers for what RFA dmen with no arbitration rights make, estimates like these are very generous to him. I mean, a contract like that is putting up there with Josh Morrissey, Brandon Montour and Darnell Nurse. I don't think he merits that comparison yet.

Reactions: Riptide

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Could be ripe for the picking, and he's exactly the type of player who would thrive here.

Zucker is the guy likely to move who would fit here. Don't think he'd cost a ton either looking at the return for Nino and Coyle.

Schwartz is struggling but he's still one of their few legit offensive talents.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Man the one trade I think that really started JR's weird transition of this team is the Reaves one. I didn't like giving up Sundqvist and it sucks more seeing him finally coming into his role this year.

This is the trade that mark moving away from youth and speed. It was the start of getting tougher and heavier.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Zucker is the guy likely to move who would fit here. Don't think he'd cost a ton either looking at the return for Nino and Coyle.

Schwartz is struggling but he's still one of their few legit offensive talents.

Zucker is fine, but Schwartz would be something else.

Not sure how available he'd be.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Man the one trade I think that really started JR's weird transition of this team is the Reaves one. I didn't like giving up Sundqvist and it sucks more seeing him finally coming into his role this year.

This is the trade that mark moving away from youth and speed. It was the start of getting tougher and heavier.

We have a 2 in 1 with McCann and Bjugstad...get a grip because Sundy isn't better than those 2.

Reactions: Riptide

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
We have a 2 in 1 with McCann and Bjugstad...get a grip because Sundy isn't better than those 2.

Did I say he was better then them? He is better than anyone on the fourth line we have. And Id take him over ZAR too. Just because he isn't better than the two you picked doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

I also just think that trade mark a moment where JR changed his philosophy.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Did I say he was better then them? He is better than anyone on the fourth line we have. And Id take him over ZAR too. Just because he isn't better than the two you picked doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

I also just think that trade mark a moment where JR changed his philosophy.

So what if he doesn't like the 4th line center role? He isn't a fit there if he wants more playing time.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017

Shwartz is my wet dream for Geno's ideal partner, him or Zucker. 2 totally attainable targets for JR in the offseason.

blondu

Jun 3, 2016
So 17 games till it's over.. and some members were bashing jr, mm, kessel etc.. theres still 34 points, even philly could win the division. Im 90% sure we'll make the playoffs

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
So what if he doesn't like the 4th line center role? He isn't a fit there if he wants more playing time.

Idk if he likes it or not. Hes the third best center on the blues so they have no choice right now. He’s playing like an average third line center.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Re Murray's consistency - very few NHL starters have more than 6 quality starts out of every 10 (defined as at least average save percentage iirc). If even the guys in red hot form can't manage better than that, you've got to accept that a lot of games Murray just won't have a great save percentage.

I would like to rubbish this post but given how he keeps racking up the assists and how Rutherford often jumps straight to the big numbers for players he likes, I can no longer totally rule that out.

That said - this one keeps coming up and when you look at the numbers for what RFA dmen with no arbitration rights make, estimates like these are very generous to him. I mean, a contract like that is putting up there with Josh Morrissey, Brandon Montour and Darnell Nurse. I don't think he merits that comparison yet.
Because of the same people that lock out seasons... The average player is now about 6 mill. I'm liking MP... He'll have a bad game here and there but I think hes solid as a 4 or 5.

JJ and Olli need to go so Gudbranson can play as a 6. Then bring in a true #4 to play with Schultz and the D is set with Addison and Prow on the way.

I really hope they bite on Minnetonka Dmen in this draft and go full in on Minnesota players in 2019. Some very good players coming.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Because of the same people that lock out seasons... The average player is now about 6 mill. I'm liking MP... He'll have a bad game here and there but I think hes solid as a 4 or 5.

JJ and Olli need to go so Gudbranson can play as a 6. Then bring in a true #4 to play with Schultz and the D is set with Addison and Prow on the way.

I really hope they bite on Minnetonka Dmen in this draft and go full in on Minnesota players in 2019. Some very good players coming.

And the guys I listed are solid as a 3. All of them had an ATOI of 20 minutes plus last season before they signed new deals. And I think at least some of them had arbitration rights.

I fully agree about Pettersson having a strong season and looking to have a bright future but he's not that guy yet. And neither should be his pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad