Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | The JR Did What ?!?!?! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
While JR was busy ruining this team's chances the next 3 years.....

Vegas getting Stone is badass. Perfectly fair contract as well considering he's a ppg selke level forward.

Nashville not getting such a forward isn't ideal, but Simmonds and Granlund isn't bad.

SJ is about as good as it gets on paper.

Gotta respect Columbus for going all in. Outside of Tampa, the East is still wide open.

Boston needed more.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'll update this with screen caps soon ...

Please don't.

I'm depressed enough as is.

All of this is @ColePens fault. 'Sell my soul' for another cup he said . . .

tenor.gif

'I'd give anything' for the B2B he said . . .

NecessaryShimmeringDingo-small.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sir David Attenborough: "And what we see here, is an old, senile NHL GM, effectively destroying the Cup window for his franchise despite having two of the best players ever to play the game on his roster with, at the very least, two or three years of high quality hockey left."

Seriously though--people will cry "chicken little" about the reactions around here today, but this is unequivocally a terrible day for this team, now as well as into the future.

We had a get out of jail free card with Seattle potentially taking Johnson, if it came to that, assuming we traded them a pick or roster player to do so. But Gudbranson's potentially worse, has years left on his ($4 million a year!) deal, and we still have a bunch of other problems to deal with.

What's happened in the last 6 months, going back to Jack Johnson's signing, is effectively JR seeing a team with a metaphorical broken foot, and he decides to break its arm to take attention away from the foot. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still maintain that Kessel isn't a Penguin come October. I was hopeful, potentially optimistic about the return, but now I am filled with dread thinking about what JR is going to get back for our most valuable, tradeable asset.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Can someone explain to me how this team can afford the D next season?

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
JJ-Gudbranson
Pettersson

That's like 25M in cap space.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I still maintain that Kessel isn't a Penguin come October. I was hopeful, potentially optimistic about the return, but now I am filled with dread thinking about what JR is going to get back for our most valuable, tradeable asset.

Of course he's not going to be a Penguin. He'll be gone to Edmonton for a 2nd round pick and Milan Lucic.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Can someone explain to me how this team can afford the D next season?

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
JJ-Gudbranson
Pettersson

That's like 25M in cap space.

Kessel gone for scraps or Kessel gone for Lucic with Edmonton eating half Lucic's salary.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

If Mario and Burkle were also behind the moves to get "tougher" then we're f***ed because JR isn't gonna get fired for the most recent incarnation of it.

I expect Phil to go this summer. And the return on that trade will determine if this team's window is truly shut.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So which move is gonna be looked at as the end of the Crosby/Malkin era?

I want to say this Gudbranson trade, but I’m thinking the JJ signing is more accurate.

Reactions: Lustaf

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
can we just take this to the nhl and have them void the trades using them as proof that are gm is not in his right mind?:dunno:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Mario and Burkle were also behind the moves to get "tougher" then we're ****ed because JR isn't gonna get fired for the most recent incarnation of it.

I expect Phil to go this summer. And the return on that trade will determine if this team's window is truly shut.
I think it's shut. You just don't win with a blueline that employs Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson. I don't care if you have Dumoulin and Letang as your top pair, or if you have guys like Sid, Geno, Jake, Hornqvist, Rust, Bjugstad and McCann in your top-9. That combination of JJ and Gudbranson is going to be too much to overcome for a couple of aging megastars and a forward corps that's got its own laundry list of issues.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

He won't be.

But, now you're a lot further than a Kessel trade away from a successful retool on the fly.

A LOT FURTHER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad