Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | The JR Did What ?!?!?! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was at my ex's place at the time, I had her into watching it. We were hoping for Dumba since she was Filipino and he was the first nhl player to be Filipino descent. We could have had Forsberg and Dumba. Lol

I never thought fwd. I kept saying Shero was going all in on the blue line because it was stocked full of blue line talent like the league had not seen in years.... and this was Shero who loved defenseman and never touched Euro fwds unless it was late rounders.

Easiest prediction I ever made.

When he passed on Trouba I was shocked as hell though. He was everything I thought Shero would covet in a blue liner.

DP busted, but man he was fun to watch in juniors. Did some insane shit.

Reactions: Burn and NEPA

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Murray has yet to show he is that guy. Injuries and not able to play consistently is not a top goalie. MAF had issues but man he was a rock compared to Murray. Like the kid, but until he can play as a number 1 Pens will be more inconsistent as a team. GMJR is not in a typical position in that Mario want to maximize Sid and Geno and shortcuts just have limitations. NO way JJ is signed for 5 years. No way any GM doesn't hold a tougher line on a smallish RW whose game is to take a beating. But the facts are Pens have cap issues and will need to retool and end the approach of trying to win with used parts. Prefer players who can get better vs the get guys who have no upside with cost. More of Bjugstad, McCann, Rust type, Jake, Reese, Blueger and less Pearsons,JJ, Cullen. Pens have a nice core with those guys and trading high cost payers whose best days are behind them is the way to go.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Murray has yet to show he is that guy. Injuries and not able to play consistently is not a top goalie. MAF had issues but man he was a rock compared to Murray. Like the kid, but until he can play as a number 1 Pens will be more inconsistent as a team. GMJR is not in a typical position in that Mario want to maximize Sid and Geno and shortcuts just have limitations. NO way JJ is signed for 5 years. No way any GM doesn't hold a tougher line on a smallish RW whose game is to take a beating. But the facts are Pens have cap issues and will need to retool and end the approach of trying to win with used parts. Prefer players who can get better vs the get guys who have no upside with cost. More of Bjugstad, McCann, Rust type, Jake, Reese, Blueger and less Pearsons,JJ, Cullen. Pens have a nice core with those guys and trading high cost payers whose best days are behind them is the way to go.

Biggest issue is your first comment. Murray. Can break down each goal all certain people want to stick up for him, blaming the defense(can do that for basically every goalie in the league) but letting up 4+ and blowing leads late in losses is the main reason we are where we are at. Theres breakdowns or guys out of position just about every goal scored in the league. Never seen so many excuses made for a goalie than Ive seen on here for Murray.

Yeah its great he won us those 2 cups(Fleury apart of the 2nd one but I dont believe he beats Nash) and we will never forget that but we also have a problem now having to wonder if the rest of this era is ruined because of another young goalie.

If he continues this play they cant accept that going forward.

Goaltending was the "main" reason we won those cups and its the main reason we lost last year and now where we are. And by mentioning that it doesnt mean our defense is great. We know they have issues...they also did during both cups.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Biggest issue is your first comment. Murray. Can break down each goal all certain people want to stick up for him, blaming the defense(can do that for basically every goalie in the league) but letting up 4+ and blowing leads late in losses is the main reason we are where we are at. Theres breakdowns or guys out of position just about every goal scored in the league. Never seen so many excuses made for a goalie than Ive seen on here for Murray.

Yeah its great he won us those 2 cups(Fleury apart of the 2nd one but I dont believe he beats Nash) and we will never forget that but we also have a problem now having to wonder if the rest of this era is ruined because of another young goalie.

Goaltending was the "main" reason we won those cups and its the main reason we lost last year and now where we are. And by mentioning that it doesnt mean our defense is great. We know they have issues...they also did during both cups.

Dear lord get some perspective please.

This site and Penguins fans in general are so obnoxious when it comes to goaltending. Both Murray and DeSmith have had good years this year. Goaltending is way down the list of problems with this team.

Reactions: td_ice

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

So wait, why isn't the biggest issue the breakdowns in the defense?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Murray is a bum. I'll keep harping it.

Since the start of LAST season, of any goalie with at least 75 starts, he ranks 20th out of 27 qualified net minders in SV%.

His goals against is 21st out of 27.

His quality starts is 19th.

Keep using the same tired MAF routine "oh, it's all on the defense".

The fact of the matter is since the Nashville series, Murray has been among the worst starting goalies in the league.

I want the kid to turn it around but we now have more than a years worth of largely crap play on our hands and I for one, do not trust him anymore. Constantly in net during blown leads, more than a handful of times goals against that are quite weak. Last year in the playoffs he was at best average and that's being generous. And he's been hurt more than any goalie I've ever seen in my life time.

Even when our D isn't playing like shit I have little to no confidence we'll win with him back there. Much like peak beach ball MAF days.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Since the start of LAST season, of any goalie with at least 75 starts, he ranks 20th out of 27 qualified net minders in SV%.

The fact of the matter is since the Nashville series, Murray has been among the worst starting goalies in the league.

I want the kid to turn it around but we now have more than a years worth of largely crap play on our hands and I for one, do not trust him anymore. Constantly in net during blown leads, more than a handful of times goals against that are quite weak. Last year in the playoffs he was at best average and that's being generous. And he's been hurt more than any goalie I've ever seen in my life time.

Even when our D isn't playing like **** I have little to no confidence we'll win with him back there. Much like peak beach ball MAF days.

Oh wow, congrats Murray had a bad year last year. Why don't you only look at his stats from this year, where he's above average in save%? You couldn't screech about "SHOULD HAVE KEPT FLEURY!!!!!!!!!!!!" if you'd have even a shred of honesty.

Posters like you genuinely make posting on this site suck. You're calling Murray a "bum" because of a selective sample size just because you want to **** on Murray, it's just pathetic.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With that said... after this season they really need to take a look at evaluating and retooling #3-#6 defenseman.

Tanger and Dumo are good for 1/2.

But our guys 3-6 are all making a decent amount of coin for the performances they give. Honestly out of the bunch I dont think we have a solid #3 (maybe Schultz on a good day?)
Schultz - and it's a pretty easy call.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Even when our D isn't playing like **** I have little to no confidence we'll win with him back there. Much like peak beach ball MAF days.

Yeah, since the start of last season when he was contending with injury and the death of his father.

No other variables at play there. Fair and balanced assessment.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I agree we go as our goaltending goes. Murray was a big reason we won the last two Cups and it is the reason we lost in OT to the Caps last year. The thing is Fleury was definitely not the answer for us. He literally lost us several years of playoffs from his bad play. I am glad he finished strong in his last playoffs with us because he is a great guy but he was not the answer. Murray goes on long stretches on elite play each year but the problem with him is staying healthy and also staying consistent at that high level. He is the best chance we have though because he can play at that elite level. We just need to hope he is on that hot streak at the start of the playoffs like his first two playoff years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you need your goalie to be playing at a Vezina level for you to win games, that just tells me your team isn't very good. If average goaltending isn't good enough to get you wins, you need to change the rest of the roster instead of whining that average isn't good enough. You have Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel on this team, average from Murray should be enough.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
“Murray is a bum”. Well, we have a new high mark this morning. Murray is the Gudbranson of goalies.

Murray winning two Cups playing elite level. He has got on stretches each year of the same elite level. Last year when he came back after his father died he was lights out for at least a 10+ game stretch and then he got the concussion and was never the same. This year he went on another 10+ game stretch when he was the best in the game. He has that level and we are just going to have to hope he can be in his groove when the playoffs start. At least he had that level to get to. Only a handful of goalies can reach that level.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Dear lord get some perspective please.

This site and Penguins fans in general are so obnoxious when it comes to goaltending. Both Murray and DeSmith have had good years this year. Goaltending is way down the list of problems with this team.
That doesn’t mean it isn’t a big issue. It just shows how poorly this roster is constructed when your pathetic goalies aren’t your biggest problem. This team has a lot of problems.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
That doesn’t mean it isn’t a big issue. It just shows how poorly this roster is constructed when your pathetic goalies aren’t your biggest problem. This team has a lot of problems.
Pathetic? What's the biggest problem? Injuries maybe? Unless you think our D can go along the way it is now...

Problems are mean to be solved, you don't seem to be part of the solution.

Keep on blowing it though if that gets you through.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pathetic? What's the biggest problem? Injuries maybe? Unless you think our D can go along the way it is now...

Problems are mean to be solved, you don't seem to be part of the solution.

Keep on blowing it though if that gets you through.
I’ve been saying it since we released Niemi that we need to sign a veteran goalie. JR recognized we had the need but he failed to address it after Niemi sucked. There have been plenty of goalies available over the last 2 off seasons, but JR fell for DeSmith.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I’ve been saying it since we released Niemi that we need to sign a veteran goalie. JR recognized we had the need but he failed to address it after Niemi sucked. There have been plenty of goalies available over the last 2 off seasons, but JR feel for DeSmith.
You should try to focus a tad less on goalies to get the big picture, just saying.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You should try to focus a tad less on goalies to get the big picture, just saying.
The goalie issue is the easiest to fix though, or at least try to fix. JR has created a dumpster fire on defense that won’t be good until contracts are moved out.

Why not try to fix one area of the team that is crap and a much easier fix than the other weaknesses that will take years to resolve?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Your the Gudbranson of posters! Actually I do t want to insult Gudbranson because he has just got here so let me revise that and say you are the Glass/Adams of posters. Murray Wilson two Cups playing elite level. He has got me on stretches each year of the same elite level. Last year when he came back after his father died he was lights out for at least a 10+ game stretch and then he got the concussion and was never the same. This year he went on another 10+ game stretch when he was the best in the game. He has that level and we are just going to have to hope he can be in his groove when the playoffs start. At least he had that level to get to. Only a handful of goalies can reach that level.
I was being sarcastic in the post you are quoting. MM has a very high level. There is video evidence and hardware to prove it. He has been a bit inconsistent, referencing his personal situation and injuries like you mentioned. He is far from a bum.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
there is no excuse for any pens fan to go into any game assuming either goalie is going to lose us the game, at this point in the season. you can count the number of losses this year that either murray or desmith deserve significant blame for on one hand

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I was being sarcastic in the post you are quoting. MM has a very high level. There is video evidence and hardware to prove it. He has been a bit inconsistent, referencing his personal situation and injuries like you mentioned. He is far from a bum.

Sorry dude, my bad. Guess I need to stop skimming and read all the posts.:laugh:

Reactions: Nakawick

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Murray simply has not shown to be a top goalie as to availability and a level of play that is top 10. I did not question his ability just he has yet to play the number of games a top goalie normally starts in a season. Until he is that 55 to 60 game guy, he is not a goalie that one can depend on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Murray simply has not shown to be a top goalie as to availability and a level of play that is top 10. I did not question his ability just he has yet to play the number of games a top goalie normally starts in a season. Until he is that 55 to 60 game guy, he is not a goalie that one can depend on.

If your expectations of a starting goalie are "a top goalie", the problem is you having ridiculous expectations.

Reactions: td_ice

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If you need your goalie to be playing at a Vezina level for you to win games, that just tells me your team isn't very good. If average goaltending isn't good enough to get you wins, you need to change the rest of the roster instead of whining that average isn't good enough. You have Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel on this team, average from Murray should be enough.

Average should be fine in the RS...some games we haven’t gotten average from Murray or CDS...you’re looking overall on the season when you say that and not at individual games...average with this team in any given game should be enough, depending on when the goals are given (situational goaltending has to be really good)

When you look at the POs however, and we’ve discussed this before, your goalie has to outplay the other goalie and more often than not, through NHL history, the Cup winning goalie had a .920 save % or better....go look at last year for the Caps....Holtby was bad and Grubbs was giving them very good goaltending in the RS, and then Holtby played at a .920 save % in the POs and needed to do so to outplay the other goalies...just reality that above average goaltending is needed to advance to the SCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad