Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Letang had one point in those 8 games and that on the power play, a period in which we only scored 4 PP goals total in about 40 odd minutes of trying while conceding 2. I'm going to guess he wasn't playing tremendously well, particularly as he was on ice for 3 of the 5 PK goals we conceded in this period. Losing special teams 7-4 is probably a big part of our poor record in that time. Hell, that's a bigger differential that we lost 5v5 in that time (14-16).

That said, yes, Sid was pretty awesome (apart from the PP). And our bottom 6 was pretty poor. A 5v5 shooting percentage of 6.01 was a huge part of our woes then... although that was partially on some great opposition goaltenders.

They've spent as much time away from each other as together since Cullen got back, and have been better away from each other too, so no biggie there.

So you’re good with moving Brassard for picks and rolling Sheahan and Cullen?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The joys of being hurt when the team was playing like trash. If only everyone could be so lucky.

Yep. Then we just had Malkin in God mode with (iirc) 19pts in 10 games.

Dunno if I’d call that Malkin “god mode”.. tbh.

I’m just curious of some realistic trades where we are a better team moving out Brassard. Give me some centers that cost 3 mil that are “better fits”.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I'd move Brassard to Malkin's wing and test drive Sheahan at 3c for a good handful of games long before I'd ever feel comfortable banking on what they had last season working again this season. And even then I think I'd rather find someone else to give it a go. Fakas, Danault, Filppula, etc. The shitty thing is, is that other than Ottawa (and all I'd really want would be Pageau), the teams with center's who I'd be interested in are all in the PO race. Maybe that's a good thing if you're dangling Brassard, but I don't think there's too many options out there for him that we'd actually like.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Honestly? Don't know. I think 90% of the time you'd never notice the difference, but on a cup contender I'm more inclined to be worried about that 10% than the picks' value. And what odds do I put on him becoming Big Game Brass again at the right time and vindicating everything in the end?

I'm not at all happy with what he's doing but at the same time, I'm pretty risk adverse. Actively hunt for 3Cs? Oh gods yes. But hurl him into the abyss and roll around with Cullen and Sheahan? I dunno. Probably not unless I need the space/assets. Ask me again in a month.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd move Brassard to Malkin's wing and test drive Sheahan at 3c for a good handful of games long before I'd ever feel comfortable banking on what they had last season working again this season. And even then I think I'd rather find someone else to give it a go. Fakas, Danault, Filppula, etc. The ****ty thing is, is that other than Ottawa (and all I'd really want would be Pageau), the teams with center's who I'd be interested in are all in the PO race. Maybe that's a good thing if you're dangling Brassard, but I don't think there's too many options out there for him that we'd actually like.

Yeah, I mean maybe you get Filppula, but you’re willing to move Brass for Filp straight up?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd move Brassard to Malkin's wing and test drive Sheahan at 3c for a good handful of games long before I'd ever feel comfortable banking on what they had last season working again this season. And even then I think I'd rather find someone else to give it a go. Fakas, Danault, Filppula, etc. The ****ty thing is, is that other than Ottawa (and all I'd really want would be Pageau), the teams with center's who I'd be interested in are all in the PO race. Maybe that's a good thing if you're dangling Brassard, but I don't think there's too many options out there for him that we'd actually like.

As I said in the post game, I don’t trust Sheahan’s offensive abilities in crunch time much like I don’t trust Brassard getting pure D starts. But you have enough usage with both of them and Cullen / Grant as your 4C to have a solid bottom six right now.

If Brassard gets streaky. It works out.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he asks out with the way he is used.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Dunno if I’d call that Malkin “god mode”.. tbh.

I’m just curious of some realistic trades where we are a better team moving out Brassard. Give me some centers that cost 3 mil that are “better fits”.

I think if you move Brassard now-ish, the futures you get can be repurposed by the trade deadline to land a big fish on D. And I can easily live with Sheahan and Cullen (+Blueger coming up?) in the meantime. Sheahan isn't as good as Brassard but seems to fit better with Kessel.

If we keep Brassard, I want to try some experimentation with Malkin on Brassard's wing. I know he got some even-strength points yesterday, but I'm really worried about Malkin. He's my favorite player, but he is 32 and even great players decline. Just watching Geno, you get the sense that he is now wondering if this is just a "funk" or if he is now on the decline himself. I've often thought that as Malkin ages, he may be more impactful/helpful as a winger than a center. IDK if it's just my pet theory, but if we keep a 2C in Brassard around...may as well try it?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Their plan has to be to either give Brass a good look at 3C with good linemates, and if it doesn't work, then trade him or move him to LW. I'd have to think the move to LW or trade is coming within a few games if he keeps being an anchor at 3C.

Cutting his ice time to 11-12 minutes and making him a de facto 4C is untenable, he'll completely give up then, and isn't suited to the role anyways. So we can't get to that point with him.

Something has to give with the situation in January, or we won't like the outcome at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No, not a chance. Despite how he's played here, he has more value then that. Something around Faksa or Danault however would get me thinking.

I mean, if we can get a 23-25 year old long term 3C, I’m moving Brassard every day of the week.

I just think realistically, you can move Brassard for a 1st to a contender, or a low end prospect and a pick. Then you have to package something else for another C.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sully and JR have pretty much said/implied they don’t know what else to do for Brassard so he has Kessel and Pearson and it’s up to him to work it out now.

If not I bet they’ll be looking elsewhere outside the team if it it doesn’t fit soon.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he asks out with the way he is used.

I've said this before (possibly in this thread)

Brass was never a long term guy in Pitt from both ends:

- Pens were never going to give him major coin/term, even if he set the world on fire
-Brass I'm certain would want a bigger role and is not interested in staying even if he COULD get max term from Pittsburgh

But JR didn't care because he needed 1.5 yrs from Brass to bridge/address the long term 3 and 4 C situation he had. He absolutely was not going to suffer through another Mckegg situation at the bottom of the roster

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've said this before (possibly in this thread)

Brass was never a long term guy in Pitt from both ends:

- Pens were never going to give him major coin/term, even if he set the world on fire
-Brass I'm certain would want a bigger role and is not interested in staying even if he COULD get max term from Pittsburgh

But JR didn't care because he needed 1.5 yrs from Brass to bridge/address the long term 3 and 4 C situation he had. He absolutely was not going to suffer through another Mckegg situation at the bottom of the roster

So why are we so worried about him?

Like I said, he’s not straight up winning games, but at this point in 15-16 neither was Bonino. And even at this level he’s just another Sheahan.

And let’s be honest. Aside from people wanting to push an agenda he cost nothing.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
This thing about our record with Brassard is like when we signed Mark Eaton in 2013 and then rattled off 15 straight wins and people were saying he was the key. Except I'm pretty sure it was a meme back then.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So why are we so worried about him?

Like I said, he’s not straight up winning games, but at this point in 15-16 neither was Bonino. And even at this level he’s just another Sheahan.

And let’s be honest. Aside from people wanting to push an agenda he cost nothing.
If DB played the way he's capable of no one would think of moving him. What bothers me is his lack of effort and non-attention to detail. If he were going all out and back checking or ringing shots off the pipe and not getting the desired result, that's one thing. But he's playing as if he wants out. For his sake and the teams I sincerely hope he comes around. That'd be the best outcome for everyone. But at this point I have my doubts.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This thing about our record with Brassard is like when we signed Mark Eaton in 2013 and then rattled off 15 straight wins and people were saying he was the key. Except I'm pretty sure it was a meme back then.

I guess?

I think it is more that people are acting like we have a gaping hole at 3C that needs fixed and it seems like it just is an underperforming player that has 3 points in his last four games since getting some consistent linemates, but people expecting him to be ratcheting off a 40 pt pace when he’s typically playing 11-15 minutes a game.

I think the issue with Brass is they are using him like a 4th liner and when you examine his production it is right along the lines of a decent 4th liner.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I mean, if we can get a 23-25 year old long term 3C, I’m moving Brassard every day of the week.

I just think realistically, you can move Brassard for a 1st to a contender, or a low end prospect and a pick. Then you have to package something else for another C.

Brassard isn't getting a 1st.

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Most likely not, because Rutherford doesn’t want to move him for futures. Guarantee a team like Buff or Montreal would give us a 1st for him.

This is why I don’t think he’ll be moved unless there’s some long term deal he’ll sign with someone in the next six weeks wherein we can get a roster player back. As a rental, all we’ll get is a pick or prospect that doesn’t help us this year...we’re not getting someone’s young 3C signed for the next couple years for him...

Reactions: EightyOne

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Agreed. That's my issue with those suggesting we move Brass. I think he has value, but it's to a contender that wants a 2C, not to a team with a young 3C with potential. The best case is flip Brass for futures and use futures+ for the player you want.

Reactions: EightyOne

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

He would. He's a good hockey player and has a long history of 2C production. He just hasn't been able to find a 3C fit here. I still think he's been fine here on the whole, but disappointing for what JR gave up. GM's looking to acquire him ca probably look past his statistical performance here and see that he isn't given prime offensive minutes.

1st + decent prospect is probably the price.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That would be terrible. I'd rather keep Brassard and hope "Big Game Brass" shows up in the playoffs than roll the dice with Sheahan and Cullen being good enough to carry the bottom six center load in the playoffs.

If they move Brass, it's got to be for someone who is a high end 3C but can add more defense than Brass. IMO, we don't have that type of player in-house.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That would be terrible. I'd rather keep Brassard and hope "Big Game Brass" shows up in the playoffs than roll the dice with Sheahan and Cullen being good enough to carry the bottom six center load in the playoffs.

If they move Brass, it's got to be for someone who is a high end 3C but can add more defense than Brass. IMO, we don't have that type of player in-house.

And I don’t see that as a possibility unless your packaging him for a 1st and then adding someone like Addison.

I’d rather just target legitimate D help and roll the dice on Brassard.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And I don’t see that as a possibility unless your packaging him for a 1st and then adding someone like Addison.

I’d rather just target legitimate D help and roll the dice on Brassard.

Yep, I think adding that one more legit top four defender is a much bigger need than finding a replacement for Brass at 3C.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah a team would have to be stupid, desperate, and well, stupid to give up a 1st for Brass.

H2AjoTc.jpg

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad