Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Plug Me In Just Like I was Eddie Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You love that idea of an epic defense. Kessel for Ellis. Guentzel for more D. How did that epic defense of SJS and NSH turn out in the stanely cup finals?

If we had San Jose or Nashville’s D with Crosby and Malkin this team would actually have the cups to be defined as a dynasty.

Even one of Subban, Josi, Vlasic or Burns makes this team downright dominate.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We're in the mess that we are in to no small degree because we didn't have 3 dmen in the Letang/Schultz/Ellis mould and found ourselves in the cacky when we lost one. We also won two cups through having 3 dmen like that with Letang/Daley/Schultz, so its clearly not a bad move.

There's a fair question about whether you need the third one to be as good as Schultz if you have Letang and Ellis, and whether you could retain him in such a scenario, but there's a very definite point to having 3 dmen in that mould on the team. Namely that is seems to make us a hell of a lot better and resilient.

Agreed. The only way it makes sense to move on from Schultz is if you KNOW you have a slightly lesser version of him who makes less. One player that would interest me is Rutta. If after the draft if we knew that we could sign Rutta for 3m ish (I think that's what he'll cost), then if we had Ellis, I'd move Schultz in a heartbeat.

Johnson - Letang
Dumoulin - Ellis
Riikola/MP - Rutta
Riikola/MP

Role with that until you can move JJ, then slide Dumoulin back up. Rutta isn't an exact replacement, but he can move the puck fairly well and can defend.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Agreed. The only way it makes sense to move on from Schultz is if you KNOW you have a slightly lesser version of him who makes less. One player that would interest me is Rutta. If after the draft if we knew that we could sign Rutta for 3m ish (I think that's what he'll cost), then if we had Ellis, I'd move Schultz in a heartbeat.

Johnson - Letang
Dumoulin - Ellis
Riikola/MP - Rutta
Riikola/MP

Role with that until you can move JJ, then slide Dumoulin back up. Rutta isn't an exact replacement, but he can move the puck fairly well and can defend.

Yeah Rutta is definitely someone I’d hope they are interested in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We all know how I feel about Ian Cole, but this should have been done in the summer of 2017 when Maatta’s value was sky high and then we could’ve resigned Cole.

Or we could do it now and ride Riikola instead of Cole. Which is good enough for me.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Martin was never a true top pairing D. He was a more offensively talented Dumo.

Michalek was a better moving Scuderi.

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Both guys with Orpik and Letang were a really good defence, but not enough to make up for the loss of a Kessel.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Rutherford really did choose not to talk contracts with Guentzel last summer I'll be mildly vexed.

Why? You think a GM is negotiating from a strong point when the player in question was 4th in goals and tied for 5th in PO points... despite playing half as many games as the other guys? Then add in his up and down season last year with several dry stretches... and it could easily land Guentzel in a spot where he's getting 6.5m and only playing like a 4m player. Even with a good season this year, odds are that number isn't going that much higher - but at least you know if you do end up paying 7m, that you know you're getting a 7m player and not someone only worth 4m who had a hot POs.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why? You think a GM is negotiating from a strong point when the player in question was 4th in goals and tied for 5th in PO points... despite playing half as many games as the other guys? Then add in his up and down season last year with several dry stretches... and it could easily land Guentzel in a spot where he's getting 6.5m and only playing like a 4m player. Even with a good season this year, odds are that number isn't going that much higher - but at least you know if you do end up paying 7m, that you know you're getting a 7m player and not someone only worth 4m who had a hot POs.

Jake was also only coming off a 48 point regular season. I doubt JR's going to get to negotiate this summer with that kind of (relatively) poor regular season number to argue against.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah. Throwing Dumo, Riikola, and Pettersson down the left side is fine with me. If we get into a good position for a run bring in a vet at the deadline.

How far I’ve come from defending Maatta in the summer of 2016.. :(

I'd still defend Maatta. The main things that have changed for me is the emergence of internal options and our sudden weakness up front, not my view on Maatta himself.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
My point is that San Jose had Burns and Vlasic and Nashville had Subban and Josi. We’ve never had anything close to that outside of 09 with Letang and Gonch.
NarrowSpiffyDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif
Michalek!

Pens had some solid and deep defense in recent memory, like adding Michalek and Martin in one off season. Coaching was the issue, not personel.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I am deeply concerned that GMJR will move a bunch of players to give Sully the team that he wants and that it hurt us both near and long term.

Not sure that concern is founded in reality, but hard to know at this point. Sully loved Hagelin for example, yet JR moved him for a player that can put the puck in the net.

The only obvious move JR has made to appease Sully is the Sprong trade and even then, Sully didn't dictate the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad