Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Plug Me In Just Like I was Eddie Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah Rutta is definitely someone I’d hope they are interested in.

But, that only makes sense if you can move out some bodies - at least 2 of Maatta, Johnson or Oleksiak.

Another #6 Dman? Nah. We got enough
I see Rutta as the type that can potentially play a Kempny type role with Letang ala Carlson.
He's not a #6D. More of a 4/5D who can move the puck and play sound D. Give him a sound partner and you have a good 2nd pairing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really know how JR can make a Maatta trade to improve the 3rd line. Are they actually planning on having ZAR-Cullen/Sheahan-Rust as the 4th line? I doubt it, but you either have to run with that 4th line or trade one of ZAR or Rust to add another top-9 forward.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I don't really know how JR can make a Maatta trade to improve the 3rd line. Are they actually planning on having ZAR-Cullen/Sheahan-Rust as the 4th line? I doubt it, but you either have to run with that 4th line or trade one of ZAR or Rust to add another top-9 forward.
while i'm for trading maatta, I was hoping to get a little more than a 3rd liner.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Why are you doubting that they'd run with that as a 4th line?

Also... maatta and perreault have very similar cap hits iirc.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I would kick the tires with Minnesota for Phil. I would look at Kessel+Maatta/Oleksiak, Sheahan for Spurgeon and Niederreiter and then deal whoever you don’t trade in that deal between Oleksiak and Maatta for an upgrade on the LW for line 3.

Guentzel Sid Niederreiter/Simon
Pearson Malkin Niederreiter/Rust
XX Brassard Hornqvist
ZAR Cullen/Grant Rust/Simon

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wait just a min! Jake, Pearson, ZAR............ hey........ you're not thinking of bumping ZAR down now are you?:eek:

If JR got someone for 3L LW, Sully would just move ZAR to 3L RW over Kessel or move him up, not down...he has “earned” it after all and deserves every one or more of his 18+ minutes a night...

Reactions: Ryder71

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Michalek and Martin are not Vlasic, Josi, Subban or Burns. I’m not even sure if they are Braun.
Subban is overrated, and a terrible teammate from accounts coming out of both Nashville and Montreal. There’s been rumours that the Preds have been looking to move him in the past. Vlasic, Michalek and Martin were all similar talent levels in their prime, coaching played a big role in how the latter two were used here. Letang has been as good or better than Josi when Letang is at his best, and I’d take him over Burns for overall play.

With Letang, the Pens have one of the best defensemen in the game. And in the past they have had some other great pieces back there. For years people were complaining that the Pens focused drafting and free agency on defense, and had no forward support for Geno and Sid. Now it’s been reversed. I’m not saying that the defense can’t and shouldn’t be better, because there’s a lot of money tied up there for little result, I’m saying the Pens have in the past and it didn’t work. Nashville has steller defense and meh offence, hasn’t won anything. The Sharks had Burns/Vlasic, great offense and were perennial playoff chokers. Karlsson has looked terrible on that team as well. I’d take Geno, Sid, Kessel, Jake and Letang, with a patchworked defense over a steller defense and no offensive depth. Because only the latter is a proven way to win.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Riikola is definitely looking like a PMD, but that doesn’t mean he’s an offensive defenseman and sometimes people confuse the two.

I don’t think we have seen his offensive side yet, but he was starting to get some confidence there and join the rush, pinch low, etc the last couple games before he was of course benched again.

His benching surprised you?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Subban is overrated, and a terrible teammate from accounts coming out of both Nashville and Montreal. There’s been rumours that the Preds have been looking to move him in the past. Vlasic, Michalek and Martin were all similar talent levels in their prime, coaching played a big role in how the latter two were used here. Letang has been as good or better than Josi when Letang is at his best, and I’d take him over Burns for overall play.

With Letang, the Pens have one of the best defensemen in the game. And in the past they have had some other great pieces back there. For years people were complaining that the Pens focused drafting and free agency on defense, and had no forward support for Geno and Sid. Now it’s been reversed. I’m not saying that the defense can’t and shouldn’t be better, because there’s a lot of money tied up there for little result, I’m saying the Pens have in the past and it didn’t work. Nashville has steller defense and meh offence, hasn’t won anything. The Sharks had Burns/Vlasic, great offense and were perennial playoff chokers. Karlsson has looked terrible on that team as well. I’d take Geno, Sid, Kessel, Jake and Letang, with a patchworked defense over a steller defense and no offensive depth. Because only the latter is a proven way to win.

I’m not really sure where you lost my point.

My point is that if we had San Jose or Nashville’s defense in either of those cup runs without Kessel we likely still win the cup.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t understand why people think Winnipeg has any interest in Maatta..I see them needing another center but not defense...

If we’re looking for top 6 scoring for Maatta, why not try to get Kapanen back from TOR...they may not have the money to re-sign Gardiner and have plenty of middle forwards they won’t be able to sign...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We all know how I feel about Ian Cole, but this should have been done in the summer of 2017 when Maatta’s value was sky high and then we could’ve resigned Cole.

That would've been intelligent asset management, keep the defenseman who fits you better and flip Maatta to replenish picks/prospects.

It also would've been intelligent asset management to bring up Blueger and sign De Haan instead of doubling down on another year of Riley Sheahan and signing Jack Johnson until I'm dead for the same cap hit.

JR has royally screwed the pooch over the last 16 months. Sullivan, for his part, has added a layer of fresh poop to that crap sandwich.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That would've been intelligent asset management, keep the defenseman who fits you better and flip Maatta to replenish picks/prospects.

It also would've been intelligent asset management to bring up Blueger and sign De Haan instead of doubling down on another year of Riley Sheahan and signing Jack Johnson until I'm dead for the same cap hit.

JR has royally screwed the pooch over the last 16 months. Sullivan, for his part, has added a layer of fresh poop to that crap sandwich.

So is it pancreatic cancer or cirrhosis?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So is it pancreatic cancer or cirrhosis?

giphy.gif

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

This this a million times over. These 3 moves make infinite more sense. I also wouldn't have traded for Ryan f'n Reaves

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This this a million times over. These 3 moves make infinite more sense. I also wouldn't have traded for Ryan f'n Reaves

Kind of hard to keep him when the coach has no use for him.

I am noticing a trend there. If Sully is predisposed to want you gone, you're gone eventually. Reaves. Cole. Sprong. Heck, if he had his druthers, Phil would be gone. And, frankly, but for the fact that even Sully isn't dumb enough to think he'd win it, I'm sure he'd be perfectly thrilled if Geno were playing elsewhere.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kind of hard to keep him when the coach has no use for him.

I am noticing a trend there. If Sully is predisposed to want you gone, you're gone eventually. Reaves. Cole. Sprong. Heck, if he had his druthers, Phil would be gone. And, frankly, but for the fact that even Sully isn't dumb enough to think he'd win it, I'm sure he'd be perfectly thrilled if Geno were playing elsewhere.

I’m convinced Phil shows up in rumors because of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->