Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | And the riot squad, they're restless, they need somewhere to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t doubt that? One part their opinion of him and one part the likelihood of a trade that would make sense or force them to.

I think the high chance of being traded group is fairly small, though.

I wouldn't necessarily make your conclusion.

Thing is, Jake is on a near minimum wage deal for the rest of this year and next.

For the production and cap hit, there's no practical (as in something someone would give) that's going to make sense.

Reactions: Peat and Saints11

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wouldn't necessarily make your conclusion.

Thing is, Jake is on a near minimum wage deal for the rest of this year and next.

For the production and cap hit, there's no practical (as in something someone would give) that's going to make sense.

I think that’s what I said earlier? Vaguely. I said someone like Barzal or nothing.

PartyatMarios

Jul 2, 2010
JG Pageau is still the 3C I want. He is a D to play against and gritty as hell. Not sure how to get him though.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
JG Pageau is still the 3C I want. He is a D to play against and gritty as hell. Not sure how to get him though.

I’d imagine it’s Sheary + pick. If they don’t like Sheary I doubt we’re getting him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Posted in another thread but probably gets more eyes/respones here:

When you play around with line combos now that Sprong is up and happen upon something like this which Sully could've been utlizing:

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Jake-G-Phil
Hags-Sheahan-Sprong
Simon/ZAR/DiPauli-Rowney-Rust

FeelsBadMan.
When Rust gets back. Sully just needs to DO IT!

Basically need Rust back to fill the pk'ing void then kick Kuhnackl anywhere, waive him, whatever and play better youth. Reaves as #13.
Turn a Hags or Sheary into a Kane type.
Get an ace 2-way 3C...
Things maybe start turning around/back to 4 lines deep.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This team has trouble scoring goals, so why trade away a player who can actually score? That goes for Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong et al. At best, it'd be a lateral move. Trading Sheary for Pageau is a lateral move. Plug one hole, create another. Trading Letang makes more sense, since he is not a goal-scoring defenseman and his bad defense overshadows his offensive contributions now. Trading Hagelin is a must. Trading Rowney or Kuhnhackl makes sense, because you have to take Sullivan's toys away. Trading Hornqvist makes some sense only because of his contract situation.

If we trade our scorers, then we will be looking for scorers immediately after trading them.

So, to conclude, don't trade Guentzel, Sheary and Sprong.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This team has trouble scoring goals, so why trade away a player who can actually score? That goes for Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong et al. At best, it'd be a lateral move. Trading Sheary for Pageau is a lateral move. Plug one hole, create another. Trading Letang makes more sense, since he is not a goal-scoring defenseman and his bad defense overshadows his offensive contributions now. Trading Hagelin is a must. Trading Rowney or Kuhnhackl makes sense, because you have to take Sullivan's toys away. Trading Hornqvist makes some sense only because of his contract situation.

If we trade our scorers, then we will be looking for scorers immediately after trading them.

What we should do is trade for Cullen, he's having a rough season with Minny but if we could bring back the Cullen, Kuhn, Rust line that would be a start in the right direction for the 4th line and bottom 6 scoring. Go back and get what worked, then work on going for a 3C, then an LW for L2. Pageau and Maroon or Z.Smith.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I don’t believe Guentzel, Sheary, Sprong and Kessel should make up 2/3rds of our top 9 wingers. One too many.

I would trade Sheary for Pageau in a heartbeat. Ottawa probably doesn’t though. He has one less point than Sheary and much, much better at preventing goals.

We are having trouble scoring but we’re having a harder time stopping the opposition from scoring.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
What we should do is trade for Cullen, he's having a rough season with Minny but if we could bring back the Cullen, Kuhn, Rust line that would be a start in the right direction for the 4th line and bottom 6 scoring. Go back and get what worked, then work on going for a 3C, then an LW for L2. Pageau and Maroon or Z.Smith.

I think people need to come to grips with the idea that Cullen may be simply losing it... he is the wrong side of 40... its extremely rare to not hit a cliff long before that age... its possible he is just done...or quickly on his way there

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kinda surprised how quiet things are around the Pens since they shot down that Letang rumor. The team is so listless. Guess JR is hoping Sprong can help and/or doesn't like the prices right now.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Kinda surprised how quiet things are around the Pens since they shot down that Letang rumor. The team is so listless. Guess JR is hoping Sprong can help and/or doesn't like the prices right now.

I think JR would have made a trade 1 month ago if he could have. Seems like hes having a problem finding a fit.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
People need to understand Cullen is in a totally different scenario in Minnesota. What Cullen has his skating even at 40. That's all he needs. He didn't lose his playmaking or any other abilities. On line 4 he'll more than be fine.

It is the easiest move they can make. It allows them to do whatever they want.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think JR would have made a trade 1 month ago if he could have. Seems like hes having a problem finding a fit.

What is slowing things down is all these injuries. Things were fine while they didn't have any LTIR injuries and Schultz was just placed on LTIR.

Makes it harder to do trades having to send out equal salary.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think JR's been eyeing more impactful possibilities.
Kane, whatever MTL is doing, what ever OTT is gonna do, maybe Bjugstad.
If COL inquired about Cole, he probably wanted Wilson and Sakic countered with a signed Cole+upper/top asset.
TOR, same sorta deal but for a UFA Bozak.
LV, probably an Eakin or Lindberg and the same sorta deal.
JR would rather spend the upper/top assets on the more impactful possibilities i mentioned.

Spending assets on Cullen won't change much. Certainly won't make them a contender this season alone so it's pointless. JR has to shift into building to win in '19. I wouldn't say he screwed up this season cuz i consider having all your top assets still and no anchor contracts a win but struck out on really fixing things(whether the prices were too high or whatever) and he and Sully screwed up not utilizing what he has on the farm.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Trading Sheary for Pageau is a no-brainer if Ottawa were to agree to it (which they won't).

As for Sheary's offense, the guy's been a ghost for huge stretches of both Stanley Cup runs. Meanwhile, Pageau seems to find another level in the playoffs.

With Guentzel, Sprong, and Kessel, Sheary's kind of redundant at this point.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Think JR's been eyeing more impactful possibilities.
Kane, whatever MTL is doing, what ever OTT is gonna do, maybe Bjugstad.
If COL inquired about Cole, he probably wanted Wilson and Sakic countered with a signed Cole+upper/top asset.
TOR, same sorta deal but for a UFA Bozak.
LV, probably an Eakin or Lindberg and the same sorta deal.
JR would rather spend the upper/top assets on the more impactful possibilities i mentioned.

Spending assets on Cullen won't change much. Certainly won't make them a contender this season alone so it's pointless. JR has to shift into building to win in '19. I wouldn't say he screwed up this season cuz i consider having all your top assets still and no anchor contracts a win but struck out on really fixing things(whether the prices were too high or whatever) and he and Sully screwed up not utilizing what he has on the farm.

Cullen is better than Rowney so if the cost is a 4th or something similar then I don’t see a problem. He’s got to make multiple trades. If Cullen wants to come here that should be a pretty easy one at the deadline.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, I agree. We definitely need a shakeup but prices probably aren't great and our recent rash of injuries doesn't make trades easy to do either.

I did see a Friedman interview yesterday where he praised Yohe, Mackey etc. He said they do a good job and mentioned their reports about Letang not being available but Friedman believes the Pens have entertained the idea of moving Letang and that he believes Letang is available depending on the return. He said the Pens would want at least one and maybe even two momentum changing forwards in return for him. Seems unlikely but who knows.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Posted in another thread but probably gets more eyes/respones here:

When you play around with line combos now that Sprong is up and happen upon something like this which Sully could've been utlizing:

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Jake-G-Phil
Hags-Sheahan-Sprong
Simon/ZAR/DiPauli-Rowney-Rust

FeelsBadMan.
When Rust gets back. Sully just needs to DO IT!

Basically need Rust back to fill the pk'ing void then kick Kuhnackl anywhere, waive him, whatever and play better youth. Reaves as #13.
Turn a Hags or Sheary into a Kane type.
Get an ace 2-way 3C...
Things maybe start turning around/back to 4 lines deep.

If we go that way, I am ok with the roster if the only move then is to get a 4C upgrade.

There is no way I want Rowney anchoring that 4th line. You're only as good as your weakest link and Rowney is terrible as the link there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If we go that way, I am ok with the roster if the only move then is to get a 4C upgrade.

There is no way I want Rowney anchoring that 4th line. You're only as good as your weakest link and Rowney is terrible as the link there.

I mean if you get your 3C Rowney moves to #13 in my scenario...
My lines were just what Sully/JR could've been running with ever since Sheahan came here.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Then who of any value are you willing to part with? I think Sheary is very likely to be traded. Our number one pick may be a casualty also. Hagelins value is terrible and Rowney and Kuhn would be throw ins on any deal at best.

I don't view Sheary and Guentz the same at all. Guenzt for all intents and purposes is untouchable, Sheary not so much. I like Sheary but we need other components to help solidify our line up. As I don't see Letang getting traded, he won't leave.

Last edited:

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Matt Cullen isn't going anywhere. He is from Minnesota. He publicly stated that he would end his career in Minnesota. His wife wanted him to move back home. She is also from Minnesota.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if all talks dying has to do with injuries?

Or maybe JR just dont see a move that will bring us over the top (or even Into the playoffs), and dont wanna gut the team if we aint winning anyway?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Trading Sheary for Pageau is a no-brainer if Ottawa were to agree to it (which they won't).

As for Sheary's offense, the guy's been a ghost for huge stretches of both Stanley Cup runs. Meanwhile, Pageau seems to find another level in the playoffs.

With Guentzel, Sprong, and Kessel, Sheary's kind of redundant at this point.

Sheary's playoff record is pretty, pretty, pretty spotty.
  • 0 goals vs WSH (2016)
  • 0 goals vs TBL (2016)
  • 0 goals vs CBJ (2017)
  • 0 goals vs WSH (2017)
  • 0 goals vs OTT (2017)
As for being a ghost - absolutely! And I don't mean just like shooting% but there were times in last year's run where he was an absolute rally killer and he couldn't even cycle the puck with Sid & Jake.

The thing to remember with Sheary is he'll be 26 this Summer, which isn't old but it's not like, if we traded him, we'd be giving up the best years of his career. They're likely either already gone or we're in the midst of them. It's quite likely that, especially in coming years, we'll all be pretty sour on this contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad