Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | And the riot squad, they're restless, they need somewhere to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
So sheary/hagelin/cole gone this deadline/offseason and sign hornqvist?

Other than that will they make any other moves? I doubt it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So sheary/hagelin/cole gone this deadline/offseason and sign hornqvist?

Other than that will they make any other moves? I doubt it.

What team would touch Hags without incentive with a 10 foot pole?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So, Reaves to L3 and a Kuhn-Rowney-Sprong L4.

I'd like to say I couldn't see Sully doing that.

I'd be lying if it did.

Yeah the line combos for practice should be quite interesting. It’s great that Sprong is up but at the moment we can only get one balanced winger combo (Jake/Sheary-Hornqvist).

Sprong’s just going to have to shoot every time he gets in the O zone (that’s not a bad thing though)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I realized something when talking about Sheary on the trade board, his season would look a lot better if his most common linemates (Rust, Crosby, Sheahan and Hornqvist) would actually score some goals at ES. His goal totals are actually not bad, he's on pace for 21 goals total, 17 of which are at ES. That's not bad at all. His problem is that he's on pace for like 10 assists, and that's because his linemates can't score goals. Crosby (3), Rust (1), Sheahan (2) and Hornqvist (4) have 10 5v5 goals combined, and those guys have played a ton with Sheary. That's also hurting Guentzel too, although it's less bad with him because he plays a good amount with Kessel and Malkin too (who aren't struggling as much at ES).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah the line combos for practice should be quite interesting. It’s great that Sprong is up but at the moment we can only get one balanced winger combo (Jake/Sheary-Hornqvist).

Sprong’s just going to have to shoot every time he gets in the O zone (that’s not a bad thing though)

I just want Sprong to be put into a situation where (a) he doesn't feel the need to force things offensively, (b) gets the with time and space and where he has a chance to shoot it, and (c) is insulated defensively.

Sully has to try to do all of it with his combos and then just let the kid play without having to worry about what happens if he makes a mistake.

Eh, who the hell am I kidding? This is Despres 2.0 waiting to happen, and the trade for Lovejoy 1.0 is inevitable.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I realized something when talking about Sheary on the trade board, his season would look a lot better if his most common linemates (Rust, Crosby, Sheahan and Hornqvist) would actually score some goals at ES. His goal totals are actually not bad, he's on pace for 21 goals total, 17 of which are at ES. That's not bad at all. His problem is that he's on pace for like 10 assists, and that's because his linemates can't score goals. Crosby (3), Rust (1), Sheahan (2) and Hornqvist (4) have 10 5v5 goals combined, and those guys have played a ton with Sheary. That's also hurting Guentzel too, although it's less bad with him because he plays a good amount with Kessel and Malkin too (who aren't struggling as much at ES).

I'm not sure that Geno and Phil as a combo have been all that great at ES. Great individuals. Not a great combo in the sense that the possession and production from the combo at ES doesn't match what one would expect from a more naturally complementary union of two great players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure that Geno and Phil as a combo have been all that great at ES. Great individuals. Not a great combo in the sense that the possession and production from the combo at ES doesn't match what one would expect from a more naturally complementary union of two great players.

I agree with that, my point was more so they actually have produced at ES this year, which can't be said about Sheary's most common linemates. I don't think they're great at ES, they're just better than the **** that Sheary has had to play with. Kessel and Malkin have 13 5v5 goals combined, the best of the mentioned group is 7 between Crosby and Hornqvist.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with that, my point was more so they actually have produced at ES this year, which can't be said about Sheary's most common linemates. I don't think they're great at ES, they're just better than the **** that Sheary has had to play with. Kessel and Malkin have 13 5v5 goals combined, the best of the mentioned group is 7 between Crosby and Hornqvist.

I followed what you were saying about Sheary.

EDIT: Would've expected more than 13 5 on 5 goals from Geno and Kessel. Kind of makes my point about those two (I know you agreed with it, just making a note here).

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Sprong is the first piece :)

source.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's pretend for a second that Sprong sticks with the Penguins and doesn't get traded (not saying he will or won't, just assume he won't for this). Does that impact who you want to be the 3rd line center here? As in, does Sprong sticking maybe change your desires for a 3C from a Pageau type of 2-way center to a Brassard type of offensive center? Or does it have no impact at all?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Let's pretend for a second that Sprong sticks with the Penguins and doesn't get traded (not saying he will or won't, just assume he won't for this). Does that impact who you want to be the 3rd line center here? As in, does Sprong sticking maybe change your desires for a 3C from a Pageau type of 2-way center to a Brassard type of offensive center? Or does it have no impact at all?

By the looks of things we probably won’t get too much of a choice about what 3C is available.

If Sprong stays up the winger mix becomes even more important. He’s more of what we have. I’d assume if he stays Sheary is on the block (probably is anyway).

Pageau probably still wins out for me. Signed longer, cheaper, great defensively and we’ll have the wingers to make it a scoring line (not that Pageau is bad offensively)

GuentzelPlayoffSnipe

Jun 2, 2017
Stayed up late in the UK to watch the game last night and that must have been a final jllt to JR to make a move, but any move will only be meaningless if Sid starts engaging. He cruised through last night's gamem

As I am not from Pittsburgh, are the media likely to call the players out for a lack of effort? Winning 2 cups in a row gives you such high expectations.

Looks like its all on the Steelers to bring some success to Pittsburgh this year, I am sure Tomlin will manage to mess that up.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

No, it also doesn't impact that they still need a LW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

No, because I wanted a Brassard type anyway for Kessel.

And, I wanted a LW for Geno and figured Rust would be on his RW.

If Sprong is the RW with Geno (or Sid), I'm not sure it changes the type of 3C I want, because the 3C was for Phil.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
IF Sprong excels, it makes Sheary or Rust expandle for an upgrade on C/LW.

Centre needs an upgrade. LW doesn’t have to be an upgrade, just different.

Yeah if Sprong can stay up, in a perfect world we could just have Rust on the 4th line. Our line up could get back to what it was used too.

Sheary + for a 3C
Hagelin + for a heavier style LW
Cole for same style LW
Late pick for Cullen at the deadline
Hunwick and Sheahan for a good 4th line LW and a #5/6 RHD

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

Yeah if Sprong can stay up, in a perfect world we could just have Rust on the 4th line. Our line up could get back to what it was used too.

Sheary + for a 3C
Cole for same style LW
IF we know Cullen is coming back, I’d packaged Sheary+Sheahan+pick for Brassard. Cap wise works.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sheary + for a 3C
Cole for same style LW

I think you may be valuing some Pens assets a little higher than some might . . . :popcorn:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I think you may be valuing some Pens assets a little higher than some might . . . :popcorn:

I didn’t mention names on the other side though just style.

The 3C is important though but Sheary + a 1st I’d imagine could get someone quite a bit better than Sheahan.

Phil wouldn’t need a great LW just someone good at the things he’s not.

If Geno has Sprong (and he works out) his LW needs to be similar to Phil’s. They wouldn’t have to be as high end if we are splitting Phil/Geno up. Someone’s getting the easier match up.

The other moves are depth ones we wouldn’t be looking for better value. Just different.

JR needs more hipster in him right now because we just need to be different ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad