Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | And the riot squad, they're restless, they need somewhere to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's quite likely that, especially in coming years, we'll all be pretty sour on this contract.

I'm not gonna say never - made that mistake with Hagelin - but Sheary's contract is still okay value, although I'd like to see more assists from him. But that's partially on the team. I doubt he declines steeply from ages 26-28.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The thing to remember with Sheary is he'll be 26 this Summer, which isn't old but it's not like, if we traded him, we'd be giving up the best years of his career. They're likely either already gone or we're in the midst of them. It's quite likely that, especially in coming years, we'll all be pretty sour on this contract.

While that's very true... that still doesn't change the fact that he's still our 3rd most skilled winger on the team, and that without him, having a true 3 line attack is going to be very very hard. Unless of course the plan is to put Guentzel with Crosby, Kessel on the 3rd line, and then whatever's left with Malkin. But most of us usually bitch about that when it happens about how whomever suggests it clearly hates Malkin.

I mean if we did a Sheary+ for Pageau (or some other semi comparable C)

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
XXXXX - Malkin - XXXXX
Hagelin - Pageau - Kessel
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Reaves
Rowney

XXXXX = Rust, and someone else. Now if that someone is any good, then it's not a big deal... but I somehow suspect that that person will not be someone we'd be all that happy with, and that at the end of the day, we will see a lineup (the 'ideal' one) closer to the 2016 one vs the 2017 one with regards to the forward lines.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's an important thing to understand about Conor Sheary.

He's a complimentary winger. That plays a north-south style. You know who he would do well with if he didn't f***ing stink right now? Crosby. Guys like Sheary, teams look at and say, ok well he's a gunner, if you put him with talent, he will succeed, but you can't expect him to be a 3rd line winger and be that depth scorer, he's basically a Michael Ryder lite.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Here's an important thing to understand about Conor Sheary.

He's a complimentary winger. That plays a north-south style. You know who he would do well with if he didn't ****ing stink right now? Crosby. Guys like Sheary, teams look at and say, ok well he's a gunner, if you put him with talent, he will succeed, but you can't expect him to be a 3rd line winger and be that depth scorer, he's basically a Michael Ryder lite.

Not entirely sure about that. Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist looked pretty good together the few times they got to play together. Can't remember if they produced (probably not), but they looked very competent and effective. Sheary isn't going to carry a line, of that there's no question. But I do not think he has to be with high end talent to be effective. You'll get more out of him with higher end players, but I don't think he would be wasted on his own line - one would just have to adjust ones expectations for him.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Montreal is willing to deal Pacioretty who has struggled this year(believe he hasn't scored in a month) Could be a good time to somewhat buy low on a guy that has been an elite goal scorer.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m still surprised Jimmy hasn’t made a significant trade at this stage when we are in such a free fall.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I’m still surprised Jimmy hasn’t made a significant trade at this stage when we are in such a free fall.
It’s not NHL18 when you can make trades whenever you want . . . 1)you have to have a dance partner and 2) your dance partner isn’t on the same schedule as you.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s not NHL18 when you can make trades whenever you want . . . 1)you have to have a dance partner and 2) your dance partner isn’t on the same schedule as you.
Some of you guys act like there are only 2 or 3 other teams out there. There are 30 trade partners. If it’s so difficult to make trades during the regular season, then why did we start the season with so many holes on the roster? Why haven’t we at least tried to address our poor bottom six? Why aren’t we at least making small upgrades over guys like Kuhn, Reaves or Rowney? A lot of our current issues could have been dealt with in July.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Some of you guys act like there are only 2 or 3 other teams out there. There are 30 trade partners. If it’s so difficult to make trades during the regular season, then why did we start the season with so many holes on the roster? Why haven’t we at least tried to address our poor bottom six? Why aren’t we at least making small upgrades over guys like Kuhn, Reaves or Rowney?
You also act like JR isn’t trying to make trades. He is. Trades don’t happen in 5 minutes.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You also act like JR isn’t trying to make trades. He is. Trades don’t happen in 5 minutes.
It shouldn’t take 6 months to make an upgrade or 2 on your fourth line, I’m sorry. I can understand the time required to find a solid 3C, but there is no reason why our fourth line is still such a joke halfway through the season.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It shouldn’t take 6 months to make an upgrade or 2 on your fourth line, I’m sorry. I can understand the time required to find a solid 3C, but there is no reason why our fourth line is still such a joke halfway through the season.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just think the brass believe it's better off for kids to develop/learn in the A. JR/Sully and their usage of Reaves, etc. points to knowing this roster isn't good enough. So they give it a go while the kids develop, with the intention to re-tool at some point. It's just taken much longer than they've expected. I don't think it was imperative to them that this current roster secure a playoff spot. It was a "hey, if they do well while we do a much needed re-tool, then great. If they don't? Theres a potential high pick/trading asset and much needed rest there waiting for us on the other side."

The only flaw here for me is they should've brought the kids up earlier to potentially get the most out of what they have already+possibly make a run at things with that jolt of enthusiasm. It's still not gonna be enough though without a 3C BUT it was worth a shot.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

If you solve the 3c issue, then my extension you solve your fourth line issues as well. Getting a good 3c pushes Sheahan down, so the 3c dilemma is kind of the lynch pin of it all.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
That’s fair and I agree with that. 4th liners that fit our system shouldn’t be hard to find.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Trades early on hardly happen. Waiting closer to the deadline brings cost of trading down.

Believe it or not, it's still early. Plenty of time to make a trade and for this team to turn it around.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trades early on hardly happen. Waiting closer to the deadline brings cost of trading down.

Believe it or not, it's still early. Plenty of time to make a trade and for this team to turn it around.

Now this I don't agree with. Currently we're out of a playoff spot, so there should be a sense of urgency in getting a deal done to improve the team, much sooner than later. If we wait much longer the season could be lost.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

So, what does that mean if your top lines are underperforming?

The 4th line doesn't fix 5 on 5 scoring.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you solve the 3c issue, then my extension you solve your fourth line issues as well. Getting a good 3c pushes Sheahan down, so the 3c dilemma is kind of the lynch pin of it all.
Do you really think a combination of Sheahan, Rowney, Kunhackl and Reaves will be that much better than what we have now? That combination is still unacceptable. Do you think Sheahan will produce playing with these idiots? You are in serious trouble if Sheahan is the offensive juggernaut on a line.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Now this I don't agree with. Currently we're out of a playoff spot, so there should be a sense of urgency in getting a deal done to improve the team, much sooner than later. If we wait much longer the season could be lost.

Plus if you are buyers at the TDL prices to acquire go up not down because you are bidding against other teams.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So, what does that mean if your top lines are underperforming?

The 4th line doesn't fix 5 on 5 scoring.
See, I hate this argument. If this team was playing well I’d still want the bottom line to be overhauled. This line brings nothing to the table, it’s a liability. You are never going to get that timely goal with this line.
What makes it even worse is the fact that the third line is struggling as well.
It shouldn’t be hard to find better players than Kuhn, Rowney and Reaves. If you can’t, then the gm and every scout should be fired. Why wouldn’t you address this obvious weak spot? Hell, even try picking up some guys off of waivers if you don’t think we have any solutions in the AHL. But refusing to address this and stubbornly starting these pathetic players in every game is a terrible strategy.

At some point, winning back to back isn’t enough to justify all of the shortcomings of this team since June.

Last edited:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017

That goes away once #87 starts playing like the #87 we all know.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Do you really think a combination of Sheahan, Rowney, Kunhackl and Reaves will be that much better than what we have now? That combination is still unacceptable. Do you think Sheahan will produce playing with these idiots? You are in serious trouble if Sheahan is the offensive juggernaut on a line.

I know that if Sheahan remains on that third line full time we're sunk. I'd rather have an issue worrying about a 4th line that may play eight or ten mins a game as opposed to 3c when you're looking at a good 15 plus minutes game in and game out. If we could get a guy like Brassard that solves a lot of issues IMO. And the ones it doesn't can be remedied far easier if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad