TSN: Salary Cap at $81.5 Million

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Maybe I missed a memo? I thought I saw that he had turned down 11... but he's going to sign for 10 now?

I think if it was for the max 8 year term... Leafs would of went to 11.

Marner apparently doesnt want to sign for 8 years. Someone had tweeted that.

So he may sign less years but money is probably still in the 10 range then. Thats just more me guessing though.

Maybe hes thinking matthews money... so thats why there is no deal. Sure seems like its possible that someone offer sheets.

I could see someone offering around 10.5 and leafs matching. If its higher they take the 4 first rounders.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
That's why there's Article 49 in the CBA.

Everyone who talks about teams making more profits seem to think that teams are interested in maximizing profits. [Massive spoiler: they're not.]

Besides, profits have nothing to do with what players get paid in aggregate. It's revenues that determine that - and, I know this is going to come as a shock to people - teams aren't interested in maximizing revenues, either.
Yes, in a Disney wonderland.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
You are incorrect that he turned down 11, or that he was even offered it. You have been duped by poor reading comprehension and were happy to latch on to the info blindly so you can join in on participating in the Leafs hate. It’s a common hobby so don’t feel too bad.

Good lord at the persecution complex. Slow your roll there dude.

Given that where there's smoke, there's usually fire and the numerous reports that he's looking for Matthews money/term ... attributing my comment to "leafs hate" and "poor reading comprehension" seems a bit overboard. I get that it sucks to hear if you're a leafs fan, but it's pretty common speculation at this point. Acting like its something I made up just to ruin your morning is being deliberately obtuse

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Maybe I missed a memo? I thought I saw that he had turned down 11... but he's going to sign for 10 now?

No it was never reported that Mitch was offered 11 or even turned down 11. The whole $11m figure came from Friedman literally saying he doesn’t know if Marner was offered $11m. In that bit, Friedman went on to say where Leafs and Marner are at the point in negotiations where they are only held up on term. But that was construed as saying “Marner turned down $11mx8”. Overall poor reading comprehension by the general public.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Good lord at the persecution complex. Slow your roll there dude.

Given that where there's smoke, there's usually fire and the numerous reports that he's looking for Matthews money/term ... attributing my comment to "leafs hate" and "poor reading comprehension" seems a bit overboard. I get that it sucks to hear if you're a leafs fan, but it's pretty common speculation at this point. Acting like its something I made up just to ruin your morning is just deliberately obtuse

Except it’s all completely unsubstantiated. You wouldn’t be able to track most of this info back to anyone reporting anything came from someone close to the negotiations. Like I said many are happy to jump on board though. Smoke, fire, etc... all very entertaining :laugh:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I remember when the smoke and fire told us that Nylander wasn’t budging from $8.5m but then it turned out “Dubas collapsed” in the final minute and gave him $7m.

If the same thing happens here Marner will be signing his $10mx6 and we’ll all be moving on to Matthews fleeing Toronto in a few years. I smell smoke already.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No it’s not . The NHLPA held it up . It could have been 85 million but the players don’t like the escrow so the lower the cap the lower the escrow .

Blame it on Marner . He does want to be a Leaf so he got the NHLPA to keep the cap down so the Leafs can’t sign him .

Now that’s thinking out side of the box !

Joking of course . It sucks for the Oilers as well but all teams are playing on a level field so I don’t have an issue
the scheduling of that decision was negotiated as part of the CBA, I'd like to see if scheduled for before the draft after the next CBA. My motivations here are less about fairness between teams and more about making the draft the best spectator event for the fans as possible, the 1st round was pretty disappointing to watch.

I think it did also favour the teams selling cap space, it was already known that there was more teams needing it than selling but I think that made it more of a pinch

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
What a complete and utter joke the nhl is becoming. A whooping 2 million dollar cap increase.

Well the previous caps were inflated due to the escalator. We're now actually closer to the true cap which should be like 80 million.

LOL. Why would we care? The Leafs have lots of cap room.

Wait you guys already signed Marner?

Noone in the whole world cares about American football and baseball.

Then again Soccer revenues make the NFL and MLB look like the NHL.

10 million for marner

I could definitely see Marner signing for 10 or even 9 but for a 4 year contract. That would take him straight to UFA right?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well the previous caps were inflated due to the escalator. We're now actually closer to the true cap which should be like 80 million.

I could definitely see Marner signing for 10 or even 9 but for a 4 year contract. That would take him straight to UFA right?
Well,,,,, he can sign what we offer or sit the season out or sign a offer sheet. It's his call.

I have no issue with us getting 4 unprotected 1rsts for him.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Ok there. Keep telling yourself that

LOL. Um............Once Marner signs, who is left to sign????

Any big RFA's left? Any big RFA's for next year? Who?

Better look again, Chief. The core will be SET for the next bunch of years, with only smaller deals to come, to move forward monies to defence, or whatever they're planning.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
LOL. Um............Once Marner signs, who is left to sign????

Any big RFA's left? Any big RFA's for next year? Who?

Better look again, Chief. The core will be SET for the next bunch of years, with only smaller deals to come, to move forward monies to defence, or whatever they're planning.

If u don't see holes, you're not looking objectively.

Fire Stan Bowman

May 28, 2019
Just stop. You're not going to change anyone's view. Especially because you're WRONG. I'm from America, I follow the NBA and NHL VERY closely (you can test me on both) and I KNOW the NBA is better than the NHL. Calling it the WWE of basketball means, I'm not going to be baited into an argument with you, since I can already see you won't budge. But suffice to say, during the NBA Draft Adam Silver wasn't booed like Gary Bettman. That's just the beginning of all you need to know. And for the record, I'm not a fan of Toronto. Be it basketball or hockey. So I don't have any skin in this game.
dude i coach highschool basketball, my entire family were coaches. my life is basketball, i love it but the last thing the NHL wants is to become anything like the NBA. as a whole the NHL is more competitive, better role models for kids to look up to, the fans are way better in the NHL.. the analysts and commentators do a way better job explaining and teaching the game.. all the coaches i talk to too will say the same exact thing, they all tell their players to watch any other basketball but the nba. the only reason people say the NBA is better is because there are way more basketball fans than there are hockey fans so of coarse the NBA is going to be more profitable.. imagine if ESPN had the rights to the NHL and all you saw on commercials and shows were stuff about hockey games. idk about hockey in Canada but most people that watch the nba regularly and buy jerseys are people who never played past the grade school level and im not exaggerating

sakux

Feb 5, 2013

*Football

Why do Americans insist on calling American football, only football? Football is the biggest sport on the planet. The thing you're talking about is played by one county and it's mostly played with hands.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If u don't see holes, you're not looking objectively.

LOL.

Uh, I see a young team STACKED with talent, and needing only a few kids to come up and comeplete the picture.

Leafs are already one of the Cup favourites. Once a kid like Sandin or Liljegren or Rosen becomes a regular, there's VERY little else that needs to be done.

WOO HOO!!!!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
LOL.

Uh, I see a young team STACKED with talent, and needing only a few kids to come up and comeplete the picture.

Leafs are already one of the Cup favourites. Once a kid like Sandin or Liljegren or Rosen becomes a regular, there's VERY little else that needs to be done.

WOO HOO!!!!

A Stanley cup favorite with massive holes on defense that hasn't made it through the first round, and wont have the cap to add key pieces.

They're a good team, on the verge of being a great team. But they aren't there yet, and it's going to be difficult to get there.

Reactions: MessierII

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
LOL.

WOO HOO!!!!

You are a real glass half full type of guy aren’t you? Lmao

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I admit that it's often just in response to all the super negative comments in here.

Got to make it fun somehow. :)

Touche’

Yes, while I am sure the leafs wish they were in a little better shape cap wise, to say they are in a “cap hell” would probably be stretching it a little. Marner is the only MAJOR contract they have left. If they can’t make it work then there are plenty of other names that would be on the chopping block before trading Marner would be an option.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Touche’

Yes, while I am sure the leafs wish they were in a little better shape cap wise, to say they are in a “cap hell” would probably be stretching it a little. Marner is the only MAJOR contract they have left. If they can’t make it work then there are plenty of other names that would be on the chopping block before trading Marner would be an option.

They are in cap hell, because even if they lock up Marner, there are massive holes on that D that they can't address due to lack of cap space. And they'll have to be taken to the woodshed on value to get rid of Zaitsev or someone else. They're likely losing Gardiner and won't have a ton of cap room to replace him either. So the D that already wasn't good enough is losing a decent piece. Sure, it's a better cap hell than what Detroit has been dealing with in terms of paying really bad players too much money, but they're still looking pretty close to tapped out with a roster that hasn't won anything of note yet.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
They are in cap hell, because even if they lock up Marner, there are massive holes on that D that they can't address due to lack of cap space. And they'll have to be taken to the woodshed on value to get rid of Zaitsev or someone else. They're likely losing Gardiner and won't have a ton of cap room to replace him either. So the D that already wasn't good enough is losing a decent piece. Sure, it's a better cap hell than what Detroit has been dealing with in terms of paying really bad players too much money, but they're still looking pretty close to tapped out with a roster that hasn't won anything of note yet.

I guess our definitions of cap hell are different then. I consider cap hell being that you end up losing one or multiple high profile UFA or RFA because of cap space which the leafs haven’t done yet. They have had to move lower tier players at the cost of signing their RFA’s. I just don’t see cap “hell”. Cap issues? Yes. “Hell”? No.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I guess our definitions of cap hell are different then. I consider cap hell being that you end up losing one or multiple high profile UFA or RFA because of cap space which the leafs haven’t done yet. They have had to move lower tier players at the cost of signing their RFA’s. I just don’t see cap “hell”. Cap issues? Yes. “Hell”? No.

You also haven't signed Marner yet. Plus, you dealt away your 1st rounder next year to rid yourself of Patrick Marleau for a 7th.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You have approx. 6.7M in cap left after signing Johnsson and Kapanen. So, currently 11 forwards under contract and you'll have to pony up at least 10M to sign Marner. You've also got 5D under contract and are basically guaranteed to lose Gardiner to UFA. You had a team that wasn't anywhere near good enough to win a Cup last year and you are losing guys off of it without the ability to add anyone.

So, if we start the clock now... you've lost a first round pick because of cap space. Let's keep watch on what UFA/RFA players you lose over the next couple years when you give Marner 10-11M just like Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad