TSN: Salary Cap at $81.5 Million

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I saw a few people here still getting all worried about whether a contract takes a guy straight to ufa. I assume some gms still worry about this idea too.

why?

in the old days... rfa used to get paid less than ufa… but that doesnt happen anymore. the top 20-30 rfa signing contracts in the past 2 years have been paid more than ufa. so its an outdated idea that ufa make more.

and... is it really a concern that a player will leave as an ufa? honestly how many premium ufa have left their team when their team was willing to pay them? take marner in Toronto for example... does anyone truely believe he wants to leave?

the guys in tampa could have left and were offered more money... they didnt want to leave

Ottawa is a dumpster fire so of course everyone wants to leave there... if they try to force their young guys to sign extra years its just going to be a disaster anyhow

signing a guy to 27 and ending in ufa or signing him to 28 and ending in ufa really is almost no difference at all. make your team desirable... treat the player right... and the player will resign anyhow

honestly if you intend to resign the player again anyhow... signing him to a 7 year deal at 27 that takes him to 34 is probably a hell of a lot smarter than signing him to a 8 year deal at 28 and potentially being stuck until 36 anyhow.

people are still using the old system to do their thinking. things changed 2 years ago. rfa no longer get paid less than ufa. weve all seen that we dont want to be paying 35-36 year old players 8-10 million dollars.

give a guy like marner the short deal he wants now... chances are his next deal wont be much more expensive... tell him hes getting what he wants now on the short deal but he might need to return the favor on the next deal [although honestly I think the cba is going to get rid of 7 and 8 year deals anyhow]

sadly for fans who think players are willing to take less on 5 year deals than they are on 8 year deals... I see no evidence of that. if anything I think players are showing evidence they want more on short term deals. look at edler in Vancouver this week. or look at marleau and thornton in san jose recently. these guys are getting upset at the shorter term offers and saying they want the top dollar anyhow.

it just comes down to bargaining power... who wants to stay and who wants to keep. the gms over the past decade have collectively decided to sign their top rfa to the longest contracts possible and this has put all the bargaining power to the players. meanwhile the ufa talent pool has really dried up. so the very few players that make it to ufa have bargaining power too.

basically if a player is good and teams want them... then they have bargaining power. and even the players that arent that good still have arbitration in their corner.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
You also haven't signed Marner yet. Plus, you dealt away your 1st rounder next year to rid yourself of Patrick Marleau for a 7th.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You have approx. 6.7M in cap left after signing Johnsson and Kapanen. So, currently 11 forwards under contract and you'll have to pony up at least 10M to sign Marner. You've also got 5D under contract and are basically guaranteed to lose Gardiner to UFA. You had a team that wasn't anywhere near good enough to win a Cup last year and you are losing guys off of it without the ability to add anyone.

So, if we start the clock now... you've lost a first round pick because of cap space. Let's keep watch on what UFA/RFA players you lose over the next couple years when you give Marner 10-11M just like Matthews.

I am a Blues fan. lol

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I am a Blues fan. lol

Fine... THEY have 6.7M left with 11 forwards and Marner being locked in on 10m+ as well as 5D under contract.
Add Marner and they're about 3M over the cap with 12 forwards, 5D, and a starting goalie.

Deal Zaitsev and you've got another D spot to fill and about 1M in cap space. Another big move will have to take place.

Toronto has already lost a 1st due to cap reasons. Those "losses" are going to start to rack up pretty soon. Particularly if Dermott stays an effective top 4D and they feel the need to do anything to augment that defense core or add a remotely capable backup to Freddy Andersen so he doesn't die by January.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
*Football

Why do Americans insist on calling American football, only football? Football is the biggest sport on the planet. The thing you're talking about is played by one county and it's mostly played with hands.

1. The term “football” has nothing to do with playing a sport using your feet - it was originally a generic term for any sport placed on foot (as opposed to on horseback.)

2. As such there were originally a number of sports that all fell under the “football” umbrella. In England the two most popular were association football (or assoccer, which was later shortened further to soccer) and rugby football (or rugger); other countries like America and Australia also developed their own homegrown football sports. Eventually the word “football” came to be associated with the most popular such sport in each country: in England that was association football, so that became known simply as “football” and that term was dropped from “rugby football” which became known as “rugby”. In America, however, our homegrown sport was the most popular, so that became “football” for us and we continued calling association football “soccer”. So as you see, not only does our choice of terminology make perfect sense, but our term (soccer) for what most of the world now calls “football” actually predates the use of “football” by itself to refer to that sport.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
1. The term “football” has nothing to do with playing a sport using your feet - it was originally a generic term for any sport placed on foot (as opposed to on horseback.)

Since SNL generally goes to youtube and makes copyright complaints to get their videos pulled this was the next best thing I could find.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
*Football

Why do Americans insist on calling American football, only football? Football is the biggest sport on the planet. The thing you're talking about is played by one county and it's mostly played with hands.

Who really cares about this? Stop. Do you think some rando on HFBoards can do anything about it?

Reactions: Devonator

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
*Football

maxresdefault.jpg

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
sadly for fans who think players are willing to take less on 5 year deals than they are on 8 year deals... I see no evidence of that. if anything I think players are showing evidence they want more on short term deals. look at edler in Vancouver this week. or look at marleau and thornton in san jose recently. these guys are getting upset at the shorter term offers and saying they want the top dollar anyhow.

What in the world...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->