TSN: Salary Cap at $81.5 Million

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Roughly $14M available with Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson to re-sign, and with holes on defense and in desperate need for a competent backup goalie. And Marner is going to take up most of that available cap space. Yeah, nothing to worry about there.

Nothing at all, actually.

Zaitsev is on his way out to give us even more cap space, and we have one of the best teams in the league, with tons of young talent locked up long-term. Plus we have lots of good young talent like Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen and Bracco on their way up.

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Nothing at all, actually.

Zaitsev is on his way out to give us even more cap space, and we have one of the best teams in the league, with tons of young talent locked up long-term. Plus we have lots of good young talent like Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen and Bracco on their way up.

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Guess you missed the Dubas interview today where he mentioned he'll be looking for a similar, right shot defenseman to replace Zaitsev and that the Leafs don't intend on rushing prospects into the lineup. He's well aware the defense is weak and is going to try to address it, and he'll have to get creative in doing so because three of their regular blueliners are set to depart.

Reactions: CPTN71

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Guess you missed the Dubas interview today where he mentioned he'll be looking for a similar, right shot defenseman to replace Zaitsev and that the Leafs don't intend on rushing prospects into the lineup. He's well aware the defense is weak and is going to try to address it, and he'll have to get creative in doing so because three of their regular blueliners are set to depart.

I think he’s the only Leaf fan that feels the Leafs are in great shape cap wise right now. We’ll see if he feels the same way in a few weeks.

Reactions: Devonator

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

So?

That doesn't suggest ANYTHING to worry about. LOL. That only suggests that they need to move one player, and then sign everyone that they want to.

I know many of you don't like it, but there's nothing to "worry about" in Toronto. They have one of the best teams in the league, and are locking up all their young players just fine thank you.

Y'all told us over and over and over about all this "cap hell" we'd be in. One super late 1st gets traded and presto.............zero "cap hell".

Sorry to disappoint. :)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So?

That doesn't suggest ANYTHING to worry about. LOL. That only suggests that they need to move one player, and then sign everyone that they want to.

I know many of you don't like it, but there's nothing to "worry about" in Toronto. They have one of the best teams in the league, and are locking up all their young players just fine thank you.

Y'all told us over and over and over about all this "cap hell" we'd be in. One super late 1st gets traded and presto.............zero "cap hell".

Just gotta make sure you avoid Boston in round 1 next year.

Feb 24, 2017
Now I do not know the ins and outs of the CBA but I can guess at two reasons for the smaller increase that usual.

-this past year the Canadian dollar has been 3-4% weaker than what it was last year. Less profits made from the seven Canadian teams when money is converted into USD

-the Bruins were the only big market team to go far in the playoffs. Big market teams generate more income which translates to bigger increases in the cap
People here love “upsets” and seeing the big boys fall in the playoffs, but hoo boy do they not love the taste in their mouth after that when revenues suffer.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So?

Very true.

For about five minutes until Marner signs his new contract.

JonathanK81

Aug 3, 2005
The OC
you guys are just sucking the nba right now cuz you won the finals and it was new and awesome, nobody in america who follows the NHL and NBA closely thinks the NBA is better than the NHL.. absolutely the salary cap should have been set by now, that blows my mind

yeah thats cuz nba fans are people who dont know anything about basketball and go to the YMCA and start shooting shots 10 feet behind the 3 point line during pick up games.. yeah the nba might make more money but if youre a true fan of basketball you know the NBA is the WWE of basketball

Just stop. You're not going to change anyone's view. Especially because you're WRONG. I'm from America, I follow the NBA and NHL VERY closely (you can test me on both) and I KNOW the NBA is better than the NHL. Calling it the WWE of basketball means, I'm not going to be baited into an argument with you, since I can already see you won't budge. But suffice to say, during the NBA Draft Adam Silver wasn't booed like Gary Bettman. That's just the beginning of all you need to know. And for the record, I'm not a fan of Toronto. Be it basketball or hockey. So I don't have any skin in this game.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Noone in the whole world cares about American football and baseball.

He specified "NA." When it comes to revenue (especially revenue), press attention, cultural significance, and as businesses, etc., whether "the whole world" cares is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
So?

Presto? you have $13.5m in cap space and a roster of 16 players, unless you're willing to sacrifice Marner what fantasy land are you on to think you're not in "cap hell"?

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
Why Benning couldn't wait to see this number before giving up his picks for Miller is beyond me, full panic move and im a big JT miller fan

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Roughly $14M available with Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson to re-sign, and with holes on defense and in desperate need for a competent backup goalie. And Marner is going to take up most of that available cap space. Yeah, nothing to worry about there.
More like $7 or 8M left... if the reports of kapanen and johnsson resignings are true ($3-3.5M per season, each).

Hexy

Jun 27, 2015
Caldaro
More like $7 or 8M left... if the reports of kapanen and johnsson resignings are true ($3-3.5M per season, each).

Maybe I missed something, but Leafs cap situation isn't as catastrophic as people are saying.

When Nathan Horton returns to LTIR Leafs will have 18.8 Mio. $ in cap space. If they get rid of Zaitsev they'll have 23.3 Mio $.
Marner (10 Mio), Kapanen (3.4 Mio) an Johnsson (3.4 Mio) will need roughly 16.8 Mio, so the Leafs are left with 6.5 Mio for the Zaitsev-replacement + 2-3 hole fillers on defense.

It's not gonna be easy, but it's manageable.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Maybe I missed something, but Leafs cap situation isn't as catastrophic as people are saying.

When Nathan Horton returns to LTIR Leafs will have 18.8 Mio. $ in cap space. If they get rid of Zaitsev they'll have 23.3 Mio $.
Marner (10 Mio), Kapanen (3.4 Mio) an Johnsson (3.4 Mio) will need roughly 16.8 Mio, so the Leafs are left with 6.5 Mio for the Zaitsev-replacement + 2-3 hole fillers on defense.

It's not gonna be easy, but it's manageable.

Brown carries a small margin of dead-weight as well but chiselling out more by removing a second solid PKer in Brown might be getting a bit greedy.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Presto? you have $13.5m in cap space and a roster of 16 players, unless you're willing to sacrifice Marner what fantasy land are you on to think you're not in "cap hell"?

Well for starters , you are missing 5.3 million in ltir for horton

so now we are at 18.8 million in cap scape

We are bringing up Rosen ,Borgman as out 6th,7th D = 1.45m cap hit
mikheyev will slot in up front =925k

Kappy + johnsson =7 million cap (max),,maybe as low as 6.4m

those 5 = 8.97 million in cap and bring our roster to 21

leaving 10 million for marner and a 22 man starting roster.

i don't see a cap hell here.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Teams not knowing what their financial constraints are for next season until after an event that is typically a catalyst for a lot of trade activity shouldn't happen, that's the Bush league part

No it’s not . The NHLPA held it up . It could have been 85 million but the players don’t like the escrow so the lower the cap the lower the escrow .

Blame it on Marner . He does want to be a Leaf so he got the NHLPA to keep the cap down so the Leafs can’t sign him .

Now that’s thinking out side of the box !

Joking of course . It sucks for the Oilers as well but all teams are playing on a level field so I don’t have an issue

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Its essentially a good thing at this moment since the cap rising too much would hurt parity because theres already small market teams with internal caps below the actual cap.
That's why there's Article 49 in the CBA.

You might be right, but definitely not nonsense. We would see McDavid level talents getting 20+ mil a year if the league and teams in average would make more profits.
Everyone who talks about teams making more profits seem to think that teams are interested in maximizing profits. [Massive spoiler: they're not.]

Besides, profits have nothing to do with what players get paid in aggregate. It's revenues that determine that - and, I know this is going to come as a shock to people - teams aren't interested in maximizing revenues, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->