TSN: Salary Cap at $81.5 Million

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Lol bush league that it took so long.

NHL is so far away from being considered on the same level as the other big 3 NA sports leagues.

Last year, the NBA cap number for the 2018-19 season wasn't made "official" until June 30th.

Days after the draft, 1 day before the "negotiating window" and a week before free agency began.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Last year, the NBA cap number for the 2018-19 season wasn't made "official" until June 30th.

Days after the draft, 1 day before the "negotiating window" and a week before free agency began.
And they got shit on for it.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Or Edmonton perhaps Nashville, Pittsburgh probably; even with Marleau off the books the Leafs have work to do.
Edmonton doesn't really have any rfas or anything to sign , backup goalie khaira and pool party who wants a trade?

So no real problems other than if they trade for some scoring help

But they will do that knowing what the cap is if they do.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

NBA doesn't have a hard cap do they?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
And they got **** on for it.

And here's what the league was doing after all the complaining...

200.webp

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
To me what's bush league is teams not thinking long term and EXPECTING a particular cap increase when they KNOW it can vary or be less than expected. It's not like the cap dropped, it just went up less, by like $1M. I agree it should have been announced before the draft, but people act like this was done deliberately to hurt certain teams

You are now a GM who is attempting to sign your RFAs who are arbitration eligible. You set a value for their contract that by all metrics is reasonable and will allow for long term cap fluidity. They say, “I won’t accept that; I’ll go to arbitration, take the deal and walk as a UFA.” What do you do as the GM when your position depends upon results? You concede because it’s the only practical option. You’ve now contributed to the league’s cap problems by pursuing the only course in front of you.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Now I do not know the ins and outs of the CBA but I can guess at two reasons for the smaller increase that usual.

-this past year the Canadian dollar has been 3-4% weaker than what it was last year. Less profits made from the seven Canadian teams when money is converted into USD

-the Bruins were the only big market team to go far in the playoffs. Big market teams generate more income which translates to bigger increases in the cap

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Now I do not know the ins and outs of the CBA but I can guess at two reasons for the smaller increase that usual.

-this past year the Canadian dollar has been 3-4% weaker than what it was last year. Less profits made from the seven Canadian teams when money is converted into USD

-the Bruins were the only big market team to go far in the playoffs. Big market teams generate more income which translates to bigger increases in the cap

Biggest think is that the NHLPA has (rightly IMO) decided to stop using the full cap escalator because the escrow payments were getting ridiculous.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

In the last 6 nhl seasons the cap has gone up twice by over $4 mill. 14-15 and 18-19. Jump fro 64.3 to $69 and from $74 to $79.5. Reasons were the recovery from the lockout and Las Vegas new revenue.

But the other years after the recovery from the lockout were from $69 to $71.4, $73, $75. And now $79.5 to $81.5.

$1.6 to $2.4 million. As a percentage of the prior year cap around 2.5%. These are the changes when there isn’t something drastic occurring. Anything new this past season for revenues? No. Not sure why they projected a $3.5 mill jump which would have been a 4.5% increase.

Exchange rate has been pretty stable for a while now.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I personally think the hard cap is the best thing to happen to this league and is the only reason it’s doing well enough for it to expand to 32 teams.

Reactions: Duck Off and klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad