Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Let's hope you are right but we still need another D and potentially RW for the upcoming year....assuming there is one

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
With pick #112 Saginaw picks Albin Grewe, 19 year old forward from Sweden. 3rd Rounder #66 overall to the Wings last year.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Doesn't look like he got a lot of love from his SHL team either. Maybe Detroit sends him out way to get decent time?

That would be my thought. There would be your RW for Cole and Ryan. The quoteables on his Eliteprospects page have me intrigued to say the least.

Last edited:

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Should be fun to see Grewe play in Sagnasty. From what i remember hearing about him when drafted, is a Bertuzzi/Marchand type player. Small, but feisty, gritty, with skill.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Perfetti-Suzuki-Grewe
Bloom-Beck-Codd
Duhart-Baber-OA
OA-Fleming-Klein

Millman-Smith
Mancini-OA
Schlueting-Mintyukov/Jovanovic

Lennox
Oke
Andrekos

Just a rough draft of what a roster could look like next season. OA spots up for grabs between Antropov, Katic, Goldy, King any others the Spirit might bring in. One problem might be on D, all the D we would have would be LHD

Last edited:

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Perfetti-Suzuki-Grewe
Bloom-Beck-Codd
Duhart-Baber-OA
OA-Fleming-Klein

Millman-Smith
Mancini-OA

Lennox
Oke
Andrekos

Just a rough draft of what a roster could look like next season. OA spots up for grabs between Antropov, Katic, Goldy, King any others the Spirit might bring in. One problem might be on D. If Smith doesnt return, all the D we would have would be LHD

Why wouldn't Smith return?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Well if there was any question on Ilya returning, that is now out the window. He signed a 1 year deal in the KHL with Dinamo Minsk.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Some highlights:

Dude can move. Stepped around several guys in the video and that was basically all star teams. He's going to have no problem possessing the puck forever in the offensive zone.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Watched his 8 min highlight reel.....so now I've seen him play for a full 8 min...lol

Pros
- Fearless
- Great Forecheck
- Solid Wheels
- Good on Boards
- Good Zone Entry
- Aggressive Attitude

Cons
- Shoots from Anywhere/Everywhere
- Very Basic Hands
- Underwhelming Shot

Overall, I do like him and think he will be a great addition to Saginaw new year......just don't know how I would utilize his skills, what role he will play. Many more Pros than Cons which is nice to see. Will add a nice edge with his aggressive attitude.

Remember before slamming me.....I've only seen him play 8 minutes !!

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Perfetti-Suzuki-Grewe
Bloom-Beck-Codd
Duhart-Baber-OA
OA-Fleming-Klein

Millman-Smith
Mancini-OA

Lennox
Oke
Andrekos

Just a rough draft of what a roster could look like next season. OA spots up for grabs between Antropov, Katic, Goldy, King any others the Spirit might bring in. One problem might be on D, all the D we would have would be LHD

I like the overall feel to your line-up but immediately give one of those OA spots to King. King brings size, experience and toughness to the Team that will be much needed. So based on that it looks like our D is set (assuming they sign Jovanovic).

Lots of questions of Forwards starting with OAs. Can we really take OAs but only use them on the third and fourth lines? Being 4th or 5th year guys I would expect them to land on the first and second lines like most other Teams. The problem I have is that I dont see any of them suitable for those spots. And what about Duhart....do you think he will be happy with third line status? I think he is a second liner on most team so does he ask for a trade?

The pickup of Grewe really could change which forwards we keep verse trade.

Thoughts??

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I like the overall feel to your line-up but immediately give one of those OA spots to King. King brings size, experience and toughness to the Team that will be much needed. So based on that it looks like our D is set (assuming they sign Jovanovic).

Lots of questions of Forwards starting with OAs. Can we really take OAs but only use them on the third and fourth lines? Being 4th or 5th year guys I would expect them to land on the first and second lines like most other Teams. The problem I have is that I dont see any of them suitable for those spots. And what about Duhart....do you think he will be happy with third line status? I think he is a second liner on most team so does he ask for a trade?

The pickup of Grewe really could change which forwards we keep verse trade.

Thoughts??

Yeah I left OAs blank for who will fill those spots because of all the uncertainty that is going on. If the AHL cant play for instance does Saginaw get a few players back that maybe they weren't expecting. Or if the OHL starts late maybe some of the OAs take thier ED Package and get started on school like Gilmour.

As for lines I think we really need to look at the top 3 lines and the 4th line differently. Top 3 can be roatated about constantly with the 4th line subbing in for some energy. I think last year Laz played the top line heavy, 2 and 3 about equal and the 4th came in as an energy line.

I think if Grewe comes in hes going to want that line 1 spot. If not he has his pro deal in Sweden. Plus I think you need a tougher guy on the wing to deal with any nonsense with cole and ryan. Last year coskey was great at taking a number and would run a guy later. Grewe seems like he can do the same and put up similar numbers.

As for Duhart I know nothing about what he wants. I think a good line might be him, Beck, and Codd. All 3 have been skating with coach AJ in Detroit so they probably have some report together. Worth a look. If its 2nd or 3rd line I'm sure playing time wont be that far off

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Grewe signing offical for next year. Other teams gonna have to keep their heads up playing Saginaw for sure. Looks like both our imports love to hit from what I've seen.

Reactions: Rinkrat2019

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Another great pick up. Saginaw was going to need to get guys like Grewe and Beck for basically free this offseason because they don’t have a lot in the cupboard to makes trades with. Not a lot of picks and won’t be trading Fantilli. So if they plan on contending, as Drinkell has mentioned, what they have is what they’ll get to work with. Right now it’s looking decent enough. Good top six, but a lot of that is growth dependent. Decent blue line that’s has a good mix of mobility/offense and traditional. And Lennox can be a guy to ride for 50+ games if he can keep healthy. I think they need to add one more of these free upgrades though if they’re really serious and it should be on the back end. I’d keep an eye on one Eamon Powell, the draft in October and NCAA hockey in general.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I agree with you completely....Powell would be a very interesting pick up.

I do wonder who you have pencil'd in for your Top 6 as you mentioned above....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad