Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Too be fair, the leading scrorer on that team had a whooping 16 pts. So if he was getting a lot of bottom six minutes, 5 points would be about what his production should be around based on what most 3rd/4th liners contribute to their team's overall goal/point output.

Basically, it's hard to write off the kid straight away based on a stat line. Like you said, let's wait and see what he can do.

Obviously, I don't want to see you guys landing ALL your draft picks but I don't mind seeing you steal a Michigan kid from UofM. As far as production...he was the 4th overall pick and ranked by most I saw pretty high. I'm sure he didn't spend a year in Plymouth learning how to suck. You should have a pretty good one on your hands.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Obviously, I don't want to see you guys landing ALL your draft picks but I don't mind seeing you steal a Michigan kid from UofM. As far as production...he was the 4th overall pick and ranked by most I saw pretty high. I'm sure he didn't spend a year in Plymouth learning how to suck. You should have a pretty good one on your hands.

If we get all of Jenkins, Goldowski and Wilde, you guys can get Barrett and Farabee and we can have ourselves a nice civil war. North vs south. Lol

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Getting lost in all of this is the tremendous signing of Nicholas Porco. Although exciting, the Jenkins talk is taking away from Nick's signing day. I like everything about this kid; his size, hands, scoring ability, and his confidence. I expect him to have a very good OHL career.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If we get all of Jenkins, Goldowski and Wilde, you guys can get Barrett and Farabee and we can have ourselves a nice civil war. North vs south. Lol

I wish. I'd much prefer the two teams facing off in the Western Conference Finals every couple years rather than battling for the last couple playoff spots as they've done so far. I think both franchises have brighter futures ahead and the enhanced (from Sag-Plymouth) rivalry will eventually benefit both organizations. The Jenkins and Porco signings should definetly help the Spirit move forward as will the upgraded facilities.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I wish. I'd much prefer the two teams facing off in the Western Conference Finals every couple years rather than battling for the last couple playoff spots as they've done so far. I think both franchises have brighter futures ahead and the enhanced (from Sag-Plymouth) rivalry will eventually benefit both organizations. The Jenkins and Porco signings should definetly help the Spirit move forward as will the upgraded facilities.

Porco has 2 goals and the last goal he scored was in OT at the OHL Gold Cup today.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Congrats to DD and management team. Signing 2 first round picks in a week. I would expect after camp, a few second round picks be signed. Roster could look very different on opening day.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
OHL Gold Cup Scoring 3G 5A 8PT for N. Porco putting him second leading scorer. Prueter had 4pt and Baber Millman had 3 each not a bad showing from the rookies.
Edit-Dalton Bancrort had 3Pt as well

Last edited:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Any Spirit fans remember Chase Stewart? He will be playing in the Memorial Cup for the Saint John Sea Dogs.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Any Spirit fans remember Chase Stewart? He will be playing in the Memorial Cup for the Saint John Sea Dogs.

A lot of fans remember him well. Guy would run over anyone that looked at him crosseyed. I for one was sad to see him leave. Loved his grit. Glad to see he got himself a championship with the Sea Dogs.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw set to announce signing of Duncan Penman tomorrow. That'll make 3 signees before rookie camp even. Usually they don't have any signed til after. Won't be able to make it out to camp this year as I'm on the other side of the state now so hopefully someone else posts some thoughts if they make it out.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Saginaw set to announce signing of Duncan Penman tomorrow. That'll make 3 signees before rookie camp even. Usually they don't have any signed til after. Won't be able to make it out to camp this year as I'm on the other side of the state now so hopefully someone else posts some thoughts if they make it out.

2 from the '17 draft or 3?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017

Another Saginaw player that found success with new scenery! I hope he has much success in Memorial Cup. Fan favorite when he was here.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I'm a big fan of Chase's, but the OHL especially this year would have been a horrible fit for him. Outside of his toughness and physical play he is just average and with the 3 fight rule and increase of suspension for hits he would have had a hard time playing his game without a lot of suspension time.

Best thing for his game was going to the Q where he could play a physical role on a contender and not worry about ohl discipline policies

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Per the Spirit on various social media outlets, they signed both Duncan Penman and Aidan Prueter today. Have to think that 4th 16 yr old spot now will be a battle between Baber and Stepien.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Just reading online about the NHL 2017 Combine results, and it got me thinking about our own players.

Does anyone have any idea if any of our own players will go. Lots of mock drafts don't have them going. But I was wondering if anyone has any inside views.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
One thing I have learned about the draft over the years is the amount of guys who are on the "Central Scouting List", and the amount drafted are always full of surprises. Rounds 6-7 are players that scouts know who could be developing into their bodies or simply are not getting required ice time. Regardless something has to stand out for them to get drafted. It is not easy as they have to project what they will be like in 2 years. Dont be to surprised if Coskey and Gilmour both go near the last couple rounds each possess their own different set of skills.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Former Spirit players Ed Pasquale and Filip Hronek won the AHL Calder Cup Championship last night with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Former Spirit players Ed Pasquale and Filip Hronek won the AHL Calder Cup Championship last night with the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Sadowy as well. It was actually cool because right after he got his turn with the cup he handed it to Hronek. Spirit to Spirit. That atmosphere there was UNREAL.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
To bad Pasquale got so little playing time in the Calder Cup Playoffs. I think he could have performed just as good as Coreau. I understand Hronek only getting in two playoff games because the Griffins were stacked at "D", but make no mistake, he will be a very good one.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Sorry I missed Sadowy. I only mentioned players that played in at least 1 playoff game.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
One thing I have learned about the draft over the years is the amount of guys who are on the "Central Scouting List", and the amount drafted are always full of surprises. Rounds 6-7 are players that scouts know who could be developing into their bodies or simply are not getting required ice time. Regardless something has to stand out for them to get drafted. It is not easy as they have to project what they will be like in 2 years. Dont be to surprised if Coskey and Gilmour both go near the last couple rounds each possess their own different set of skills.

You still thinking these boys will get drafted? I see Coskey in the late rounds, but Gilmour is not ever mentioned in anything. I'd say he is following in Felhaber's footsteps. Coskey I hope goes in 4th or 5th to Detroit.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
You still thinking these boys will get drafted? I see Coskey in the late rounds, but Gilmour is not ever mentioned in anything. I'd say he is following in Felhaber's footsteps. Coskey I hope goes in 4th or 5th to Detroit.

Hopefully like all drafts guys are scouted and if a scout likes a player who is off the CS list he keeps it close to his vest. Gilmour had more points than Stephens in his 2nd year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00