Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You still thinking these boys will get drafted? I see Coskey in the late rounds, but Gilmour is not ever mentioned in anything. I'd say he is following in Felhaber's footsteps. Coskey I hope goes in 4th or 5th to Detroit.

Gilmour has a good two way game and hockey IQ. Two things Felhaber lacked. Gilmour's issue is size. So I wouldn't say he's following in Tye's footsteps.

Main things for Gilmour to do in the offseason: hit the weight room and maybe put on 10 lbs and work on making his skating more dynamic.

Last edited:

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Well I hope a team takes a chance on Gilmour. With 26 goals and playing with a line of rookies in a tough west decision, he did well. You would think that scouts take notice to that.

I do like Coskey's chances. He has good size, decent speed, plays with grit, and has the skill.

Maksimov has turned some heads since going to Niagara. He only had 4 goals in Saginaw but made some noise and a name for himself with the new scenery. He should be a third or fourth rounder.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Looks like the Spirit will be signing Caleb Everett tomorrow. The 6'2 175lb defenseman will be a excellent additional. He is coming off winning a National Championship with Compuware and is excited to play in the OHL.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Looks like the Spirit will be signing Caleb Everett tomorrow. The 6'2 175lb defenseman will be a excellent additional. He is coming off winning a National Championship with Compuware and is excited to play in the OHL.

Coskey, Busdeker, Jenkins, and Everett. Seems like we're doing a much better job of attracting American talent the past few years.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Coskey, Busdeker, Jenkins, and Everett. Seems like we're doing a much better job of attracting American talent the past few years.

Its no coincidence that our additions of Devellano and Osgood
are getting the ball rolling with 3 Michigan
players since their arrival.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Here's an idea:

We have lots of picks, two open import spots, and Guelph is gonna need to move Albert Michnac to pick at 4. Seems like a good opportunity to add a quality forward that would be better than an unknown 2 round import pick.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Here's an idea:

We have lots of picks, two open import spots, and Guelph is gonna need to move Albert Michnac to pick at 4. Seems like a good opportunity to add a quality forward that would be better than an unknown 2 round import pick.

15G 24A 39pts and a 98 makes us stronger up the middle Good Idea. What 's the price tag he would be here for 1 year. Maybe a prospect and a 3rd rd pick. Good idea

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
15G 24A 39pts and a 98 makes us stronger up the middle Good Idea. What 's the price tag he would be here for 1 year. Maybe a prospect and a 3rd rd pick. Good idea

Not sure what their goalie situation is but Bonello, a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick would seem reasonable.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Good to see Penman, Prueter, Porco and Baber all going to the Hockey Canada U-17 camp in Calgary. Best of luck boys.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Gustav Lindstrom at 6'2" 185lb gives you an offensive defenseman with a bit more size than Hronek.

Setkov is a bit taller at 6'4" and lighter, more along the lines of Nemo.

I could really like picking up Lindstrom.

As far as Coskey not being drafted,... the physical package is there, but he really did very little with quality playing time to prove draftable. Needs to be edgier and more physical.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Not bad Martin Necas, 1rd pick 12th overall from Carolina, 6'1 180 hope he shows?

I'd say unlikely. Another thing to think about is that he was drafted out of Europe so he's AHL eligible right away. He'll probably stay in Europe one more year then head to AHL in 2018/19. Unless we've already worked out something to get him over here, it looks like a wasted pick because we can't trade his rights until next year but they may hold no real value considering the above mentioned. Idk but Drinkell really needs to get to work on this one.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Theoretically if both our import picks show up in August our lineup could look something like this:

Gilmour-Necas-Coskey
Jenkins-Grondin-Giroux
OA-Porco-Busdeker
Fuoco-Preuter-Katic or Stepien

Mjddleton-Everett
Crawford- Bappart
Davis-Penman

Cormier-Lamour Trade Boello or Cormier plus some guys on the cut list and picks gives us plenty to get a sniper to make sure if Necas is a no show. Strong up the middle is key to us having a decent year.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Gilmour-Necas-Giroux
Kreis-Jenkins-Coskey
Grondin-Porco-Busdeker
Preuter-Katic- Stepien

Middleton-Davis
Crawford- Bappart
Everett-Penman

Cormier-Lamour

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I'm kind of torn with Necas staying to play in the Czech league. Yes, he is playing with adults similar to what Mathews did...but... did you know that the leading scorer on the Kometa team is the Saginaw Spirit's leading scoroer from...2005...Marek Kvapil!!!

The team is composed of many journeymen pro's. Maybe he moves up a league over there.

I still feel that the speed of the higher end OHL teams would provide a better challenge for him and gain better insight as to how he rates playing with players his own age.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I'm kind of torn with Necas staying to play in the Czech league. Yes, he is playing with adults similar to what Mathews did...but... did you know that the leading scorer on the Kometa team is the Saginaw Spirit's leading scoroer from...2005...Marek Kvapil!!!

The team is composed of many journeymen pro's. Maybe he moves up a league over there.

I still feel that the speed of the higher end OHL teams would provide a better challenge for him and gain better insight as to how he rates playing with players his own age.

I agree, he is a 99 and would be playing in the best Junior League in the world. Development is key but does Carolina want him in the OHL.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Now that Necas has signed with Carolina does he play maybe 1 year with Saginaw or does he play in the AHL? Sure would be quite an asset for the team. Where will he develop the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad