Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliarclee

Nov 12, 2013
My cousin Alex was just drafted by the Spirit. Hopefully he turns out to be a good player for your team. His dad Alfie was drafted in the first round by the Canadians in 82, but was never really able to stick up in the NHL. I'm sure I will be stopping in from time to time to see how he is doing.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
My cousin Alex was just drafted by the Spirit. Hopefully he turns out to be a good player for your team. His dad Alfie was drafted in the first round by the Canadians in 82, but was never really able to stick up in the NHL. I'm sure I will be stopping in from time to time to see how he is doing.
If you're really close to him make sure you say that this whole board would welcome him to the team/league ;) Also tell him how the ohl is a second-to-none junior league :naughty: His projected career path/abilities fit better with the ohl :D

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Blade Jenkins, Alex Turcotte, and Bode Wilde..... I hope you guys can get these guys to come over in 2 years, cuz you guys would have a great team in 2018.

Heliarclee

Nov 12, 2013
If you're really close to him make sure you say that this whole board would welcome him to the team/league ;) Also tell him how the ohl is a second-to-none junior league :naughty: His projected career path/abilities fit better with the ohl :D

I'll see what I can do. Lol

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Blade Jenkins...Blade Jenkins...Blade Jenkins...

That's all I ever here out of Saginaw fans. Hey, maybe this kid will develop into a phenom one day but at present he has 12 or more players with better point production and 5 to 6 who can skate rings around him.

I also get tired of those who say the NTDP program hasn't given him a shot. Trust me he has practices weekly to prove his justification for greater playing time and that hasn't happened as yet.

Is he capable of being the player that Saginaw drafted...hell yes, but there is much work to be done at present.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Congrats on what should be a very good draft. I do not know much of D Duncan Penman or know when/if Turcotte will report. However, the picks of Porco, Prueter, and Stepien appear be top notch.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Congratulations to the Spirit on a great draft! If everyone reports, it might set the team up for a nice run.

I'm also excited to see a pair of Sault Ste. Marie products in Porco and Baber playing on the same team. I won't be missing any Spirit games for the next few years!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Congratulations to the Spirit on a great draft! If everyone reports, it might set the team up for a nice run.

I'm also excited to see a pair of Sault Ste. Marie products in Porco and Baber playing on the same team. I won't be missing any Spirit games for the next few years!

Always do like taking kids from Northen Ontario. Seem to play with a bit more edge and show a little more hustle.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Always do like taking kids from Northen Ontario. Seem to play with a bit more edge and show a little more hustle.

We don't have the skill players of metropolitan areas due the population, so Northern kids always play harder and with a little more sandpaper than their Southern counterparts. I hope that those two do good things with the Spirit.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Looks like a successful job done by DD, Angelo Nasato, Brian Prout, Ben Goodman, Frank Robinson, Dustin Turner and Steve Hillier in the tedious yet rewarding scouting of this years draft. These are all unsung men who spend countless hours in rinks all over Ontario and parts of the USA. Just want to acknowledge all scouts for the hard work.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Wouldn't count on it

Part of the pitch had to be the chance to play for a legendary coach. No Red wouldn't make recruiting U of M commits "a bit" easier? I'm not saying it's going to exponentially improve the efforts of teams to sign these guys, just a little bit. To flat out say no it won't at all seems a bit out there.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Firebird's 2nd Rnd pick and 23rd overall, D Marcus Gertz, had committed to Ohio State this past fall, but is from Macomb, MI and he sounds as if he is going to report to Flint. Each situation is different. Some kids commit to the University while some kids commit to a coach. If he was committed to University of Michigan, it may be a different story. I guess we will see what happens with a couple Saginaw picks and the Flint pick.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw has 9 players taking part in the up coming OHL gold cup.

Alliance
Aiden Prueter
Stephane Crevier
Mason Millman

GTHL Blue
Jospeh Kennedy
Duncan Penman
Nicholas Porco (POY)

NOHA
Camaryn Baber (POY)

OMHA Red
Dalton Bancroft
Ryan Stepien

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Spirit posted a clip on twitter showing renovations taking place in the locker rooms. Nicer facilities are always good for recruiting.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Marco Bombino: "#Oilers 3rd rounder Markus Niemeläinen has signed a 2-year contract with HPK in Liiga. Spent the past two seasons with OHL's Saginaw Spirit."

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
It is a big loss for the Spirit, yet I feel it is the best move for him. He needed to start playing around bigger bodies in his move up into the pro ranks.

Tough loss indeed!

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
It is a big loss for the Spirit, yet I feel it is the best move for him. He needed to start playing around bigger bodies in his move up into the pro ranks.

Tough loss indeed!

I wonder if the OHL Draft would have been different if this information came out a few weeks ago. We have chosen lots of forwards in this draft.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
For sure SagFan . I had just though when I read this. When is the Euro draft? More Hronek type Dmen needed!

I had commented on this back when...

02-22-2017, 11:48 PM
swoopster
my "helmets"

vCash: 500

First I should be looking up his DOB to see if he has another year. I personally think he would benefit from one more year of junior play. If he stays, that limits the Spirit to one European to add to their squad next season, because Honek will be gone.

If he decides to move up, a European league would suit him better and give him a chance to fill out and develop. He is not ready,in my opinion, to move up into the Oilers AHL team, maybe a ECHL club.

Last edited by swoopster: 02-22-2017 at 11:57 PM.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Opening Day starting lineup? This will change as there will be some surprises I am sure after rookie camp.

Kries - Gilmour - Giroux
Busdeker - Jenkins - Coskey
Porco - Grondin - Katic
Fuoco -Prueter - Stepien

Middleton-2017 Import
2017 Import -Davis
Crawford - ????

Cormier
Lamour

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
My line up is very similar but I added in Phillips, Penman, and Everett to round out the D. Spilt the import picks. One D one forward. Boomhower (U18 draft) for extra body.

Kries - Gilmour - Giroux
Busdeker - Jenkins - Coskey
Porco - Grondin - Katic
Import -Prueter - Stepien
Fuocco Boomhower

Middleton-Import
Crawford-Davis
Penman-Phillips
Everett

Cormier
Lamour

Status