Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Perfetti at 14th right now, that will depend on his development, if he can be a 1st rder same as Porco this year that is why we need that top forward so the young guys have better match ups to develop. Plus learning from players with experience and leadership helps everyone. The you..ng guys watch like hawks.

You mean Porco as a 1st rounder in the NHL draft? I think that is a long shot. I think even the 2nd round is wishful thinking. He looks like a 3-5 round guy, much like Jenkins was, although more likely to be in the higher end of that range than Jenkins was.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I'm genuinely happy for him. A change of scenery and new opportunities that come with it can be very benificial for some players in some cases.

But if your excited ellipsis is implying that we royally screwed up on letting him go...I don't know about that. Hopefully he can consistently look like the power forward that we thought he could be.

Don't be overly concerned........he really hasn't been great with the Petes so far. If he can continue to play the way he did last weekend then, yes, the change of scenery has been good for Grondin AND the Petes.

My guess is that his biggest issue all along has been consistency, so we will see how things go. He started as the 3rd line center when he arrived, but has spent more time on the 4th line more recently due to his inconsistent play.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Took a look at the prospects in the system and put together a quick top ten list. Included signed players that aren't regulars yet. Definitely a US/NCAA heavy pool right now.

upload_2018-11-30_8-31-27.png

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Took a look at the prospects in the system and put together a quick top ten list. Included signed players that aren't regulars yet. Definitely a US/NCAA heavy pool right now.

View attachment 159919

Just wanted to add on Lennox. His 3.74 gaa doesnt look great for JR A. But his team is awful at 5-16. I'd go more off of his save percentage as an indicator of future success.

As for the NCAA commits, I could see Smith (from Saginaw) and Mazur (attended camp this year but just physically to small) eventually jumping ship and coming to town. Doubt we see Turcotte.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Just wanted to add on Lennox. His 3.74 gaa doesnt look great for JR A. But his team is awful at 5-16. I'd go more off of his save percentage as an indicator of future success.

As for the NCAA commits, I could see Smith (from Saginaw) and Mazur (attended camp this year but just physically to small) eventually jumping ship and coming to town. Doubt we see Turcotte.

Yeah I think it works out to something like 44 shots a game is what Lennox putting up with in Brantford. A 0.918 is impressive under that kind of constant pressure.

Reactions: bcspragu

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Yeah I think it works out to something like 44 shots a game is what Lennox putting up with in Brantford. A 0.918 is impressive under that kind of constant pressure.

Saw Lennox last weekend in Sudbury and he looks like an OHL goalie. He didnt look like a scared rookie and he couldnt be blamed for either goal.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Expect one (or some ) of the following to be traded within days.

Porco
Busdeker
Stepien
Prueter
Gilmour
Millman
Katic
And a bunch of draft picks.

One (or two ) big name players will be on our roster soon.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I wouldn’t doubt it. The replacement of your coach recently certainly signals management has serious expectations.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
As of noon today, this is what I have heard of potential players that Saginaw are interested in. Take it for what you want, but not a bad source.

Hamilton – Saigeon, Mattinen
Kingston – Neumann , Brahaney
OS – Suzuki , Phillips
Kitchener – Garreffa, Damiani

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
IMO, only the Hamilton or Owen Sound deals would put your team into a serious contender to win it all.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I personally would be all over the OS deal. Not sure what OS would want. I know a ton of future picks, but what players would go from Saginaw.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As of noon today, this is what I have heard of potential players that Saginaw are interested in. Take it for what you want, but not a bad source.

OS – Suzuki , Phillips
Talk about a spitball list? Are you the ohlinsider?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
IMO, only the Hamilton or Owen Sound deals would put your team into a serious contender to win it all.

I say you guys are out of your minds! They would need another top level puck handling Dman and a goal scorer...and they will give up too much, cause Ottawa is loaded and London is a threat on our side of the brackett.

BTW if it wasn't for Prosvetov standing on his head last night, Sarnia would have beaten them. I was there.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I don’t think your GM is going to go crazy with additions unless it’s for players that can return next year as well. Most of the core players will be returning, the young players will have had a full year of development and the team will have a nice selection of OA’s. If you can get a great ‘00, like Dellandrea, then go for it, but ‘99’s won’t be the smart use of assets imo.

That being said, if the Spirit are going for it all this year, there’s no better place to look than Owen Sound. The Spirit has an opening OA spot so, in addition to Suzuki and Phillips, the Spirit ought to add OA Kevin Hancock to the deal (he’s magic with Suzuki). IMO the deal would look something like this:

To Saginaw: Nick Suzuki, Markus Phillips, Kevin Hancock

To Owen Sound: Aiden Preuter, Duncan Penman, Danny Katic, OS 2nd ‘19, BAR 2nd ‘20, SBY 2nd ‘20, SAG 2nd ‘22, LDN 3rd ‘19 SAR 3rd ‘19, PBO 3rd ‘20, SAR 3rd ‘20, WSR 5th ‘19, BAR 5th ‘20 *SAG 2nd ‘20, *SAG 3rd ‘21

*conditional based on OA year from Markus Phillips
(Maybe more conditional picks based on the remote chance that Suzuki returns as an OA)

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I don’t think your GM is going to go crazy with additions unless it’s for players that can return next year as well. Most of the core players will be returning, the young players will have had a full year of development and the team will have a nice selection of OA’s. If you can get a great ‘00, like Dellandrea, then go for it, but ‘99’s won’t be the smart use of assets imo. ...

DING DING DING...I like your thinking!

What happens if Wilde or Prosvetov get hurt. They, at this point, are weak behind those two. As much as I'd like to have seen an Eliot and Robertson 9 too late on that ), it makes no sense to shoot the moon and give up way to much, Hell Salitrini , an OA, went to the Gens for two 2nds and a 4th.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

OS – Suzuki , Phillips

Last time you claimed this it didn’t exactly work out that way...

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don’t think your GM is going to go crazy with additions unless it’s for players that can return next year as well. Most of the core players will be returning, the young players will have had a full year of development and the team will have a nice selection of OA’s. If you can get a great ‘00, like Dellandrea, then go for it, but ‘99’s won’t be the smart use of assets imo.

That being said, if the Spirit are going for it all this year, there’s no better place to look than Owen Sound. The Spirit has an opening OA spot so, in addition to Suzuki and Phillips, the Spirit ought to add OA Kevin Hancock to the deal (he’s magic with Suzuki). IMO the deal would look something like this:

To Saginaw: Nick Suzuki, Markus Phillips, Kevin Hancock

To Owen Sound: Aiden Preuter, Duncan Penman, Danny Katic, OS 2nd ‘19, BAR 2nd ‘20, SBY 2nd ‘20, SAG 2nd ‘22, LDN 3rd ‘19 SAR 3rd ‘19, PBO 3rd ‘20, SAR 3rd ‘20, WSR 5th ‘19, BAR 5th ‘20 *SAG 2nd ‘20, *SAG 3rd ‘21

*conditional based on OA year from Markus Phillips
(Maybe more conditional picks based on the remote chance that Suzuki returns as an OA)

That deal won't ever happen but I'd take that all day, everyday

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Expect one (or some ) of the following to be traded within days.

Porco
Busdeker
Stepien
Prueter
Gilmour
Millman
Katic
And a bunch of draft picks.

One (or two ) big name players will be on our roster soon.
This looks like a Hamilton Lineup, they desperately need help on defence and the rest are area kids except Buzz decker and Gilmore I believe. Something has to happen here.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Last time you claimed this it didn’t exactly work out that way...

You are right, but I did know that Petes were involved and Grondin was going somewhere. I just didn't know those two would hook up. So you don't have to believe this as I am not sure, I am merely stating what I have heard.

There will be a couple of top players come in, and a couple of long time regulars leave.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Gilmour
Busdeker
Of these two I can see as I feel both could benefit from a change a scenery. So to me they are swapable players and maybe adding in a pick or so, but nothing dramatic. Damm shame because Gilmour looks lost out there. Busdecker comes down the ice and shoots from bad angles, something he has done since he first arrived here.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Of these two I can see as I feel both could benefit from a change a scenery. So to me they are swapable players and maybe adding in a pick or so, but nothing dramatic. Damm shame because Gilmour looks lost out there. Busdecker comes down the ice and shoots from bad angles, something he has done since he first arrived here.

I would agree to some point.

Busdeker has taken a ton of non effective shots. You can tell especially when he gets demoted to the third or fourth line, he wants to do it all so he can move up the roster. He plays much different when playing on top line.

Gilmour does look lost when playing with Coskey or Michnac, but I would say it is those guys who are lost and others have no clue what they are doing. Coskey and Michnac or free wheeling, roam all over, shoot wherever type of player. Having Perfetti on the line who has hockey IQ will help Gilmour as they can think the same. I still think he should be with Jenkins who also is a smart player.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I wasn't saying either is potentially getting traded. I was informing the other poster on how to spell their names correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad