Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Not a good showing last night in Windsor.

2 things that will keep this team from achieving success this year:

Goaltending- DD did a good job at drafting a goalie we needed, terrible job getting paper work done in three months so he can play in Canada. Not sure of the process, but searching this morning, we may be the only ones with import problems.

Coaching- DD and Smith have done a great job getting talent here in Saginaw, but this coach cannot do it. It is obvious the players have no respect for him and his moods. He lost the team mentally last year and it coninues even after game 3. Coach Smith really has no clue. I've heard DD, Garber and Goose talk sonmich about good character kids they want, I wish that applied with the coach, Coach Lazery should have this team, players gravitate towards him!

Solution- I guess we have to be patient with paper work process, Lamour can handle the main duties until then. But big solution is give this coach 10 games, if 5 wins or under, hit the road jack! This is the only year to go deep in playoffs! Next year we lose our top guys. Coskey, Wilde to AHL, possible lose Busdeker, Gilmour, Webb, Davis, O'Grady.

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If we don't start to look well coached means we are not. TS should not coach he was horrible in Kitchener and have said this many times. He lost the dressing room before and will lose it again. He is a good assistant coach but it ends there. I hope after we start playing better that Lazary gets his chance. Smith plays his favorites and that's what causes the trouble. Not to mention being out coached on the road. For the teams sake I will gladly eat crow pie if I am wrong. With all the talent they can't start the year losing this creates friction in the dressing room.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
If we don't start to look well coached means we are not. TS should not coach he was horrible in Kitchener and have said this many times. He lost the dressing room before and will lose it again. He is a good assistant coach but it ends there. I hope after we start playing better that Lazary gets his chance. Smith plays his favorites and that's what causes the trouble. Not to mention being out coached on the road. For the teams sake I will gladly eat crow pie if I am wrong. With all the talent they can't start the year losing this creates friction in the dressing room.

I will share that crow pie too if I am wrong, but history doesn't lie. In Kitchener and Hamilton he lost the room. I hope we don't wait too long. It's only game 3, but this is continuing from last season.

DD needs to speak with leadership group, Lazery and some billets to find out more about what is happening at the arena, I will bet he would be shocked!!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not a good showing last night in Windsor.

2 things that will keep this team from achieving success this year:

Goaltending- DD did a good job at drafting a goalie we needed, terrible job getting paper work done in three months so he can play in Canada. Not sure of the process, but searching this morning, we may be the only ones with import problems.

Coaching- DD and Smith have done a great job getting talent here in Saginaw, but this coach cannot do it. It is obvious the players have no respect for him and his moods. He lost the team mentally last year and it coninues even after game 3. Coach Smith really has no clue. I've heard DD, Garber and Goose talk sonmich about good character kids they want, I wish that applied with the coach, Coach Lazery should have this team, players gravitate towards him!

Solution- I guess we have to be patient with paper work process, Lamour can handle the main duties until then. But big solution is give this coach 10 games, if 5 wins or under, hit the road jack! This is the only year to go deep in playoffs! Next year we lose our top guys. Coskey, Wilde to AHL, possible lose Busdeker, Gilmour, Webb, Davis, O'Grady.

Highly unlikely Coskey goes to the AHL unless he has a huge year and gets signed to an ELC by a team. Wilde can't go to the AHL next year because he's not old enough. So NHL or OHL for him next year.

The other guys you listed are easily replaceable by the progression in development by your younger players: Porco, Perfetti, Prueter, Baber, Stepian, Goldowski, Penman, Millman, etc. It's not like any of those guys you listed are major game breakers anyways, and there is a good chance that at least 3 of them will be back for an OA season in the OHL. Saginaw has got a pretty good window open, and it'll be extended if they can continue adding quality talent in the 2nd round and beyond as they have done recently.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Highly unlikely Coskey goes to the AHL unless he has a huge year and gets signed to an ELC by a team. Wilde can't go to the AHL next year because he's not old enough. So NHL or OHL for him next year.

The other guys you listed are easily replaceable by the progression in development by your younger players: Porco, Perfetti, Prueter, Baber, Stepian, Goldowski, Penman, Millman, etc. It's not like any of those guys you listed are major game breakers anyways, and there is a good chance that at least 3 of them will be back for an OA season in the OHL. Saginaw has got a pretty good window open, and it'll be extended if they can continue adding quality talent in the 2nd round and beyond as they have done recently.
Bode can go to the AHL since he was drafted out of the NTDP, not the O.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Bode can go to the AHL since he was drafted out of the NTDP, not the O.

Hm, true. Still very unlikely he ends up in the AHL next year. He'd need a good spot to open up for that to happen (because the Islanders would probably prefer for him to get serious ice time) and he'd need a pretty big year in the OHL to earn an ELC. Leafs sent back Bracco for a second year despite lighting up the OHL in his rookie year, and wingers are far more likely to earn early ice time opportunities than defensemen like Wilde.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Hm, true. Still very unlikely he ends up in the AHL next year. He'd need a good spot to open up for that to happen (because the Islanders would probably prefer for him to get serious ice time) and he'd need a pretty big year in the OHL to earn an ELC. Leafs sent back Bracco for a second year despite lighting up the OHL in his rookie year, and wingers are far more likely to earn early ice time opportunities than defensemen like Wilde.

I can't see defensemen Dobson and Wilde both 2000 born NYI prospects playing AHL next year. One maybe both just don't see it.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I can't see defensemen Dobson and Wilde both 2000 born NYI prospects playing AHL next year. One maybe both just don't see it.

Well I know for sure Dobson can't because he was drafted out of the CHL.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Nice comeback!! Got a point!

Why was Coskey, Gilmour and Michnac benched in first period? Anyone see? Guelph scored 4 goals while they were benched for half the first period.

Wilde showed signs of why he is a highly touted player! He dances around some guys tonight.

Coskey, after he was benched, showed that it's possible he could reach the 80 point mark this year.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If they can get even a little defense they'll be fine. Have the fire power. Just have to commit to limiting turnovers and playing in both ends top to bottom. Good job getting a point tonight though.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
First period was bad in several ways no effort, no defense, no forechecking and no Coskey, Michnac, and Gilmour. Benched for most of the first period they ended up with Gilmour and Coskey scoring a pair of goals each. A very quick whistle wich prevented a goal from being scored or we have 2pts.
Wilde showed some wicked talent at times but the defense as a whole played bad for the first half of the game. Everett's injury really noticable might need to pickup another quality D?
Same with the forwards we need a Tippett, Robertson, Saigeon, McLeod type. Time to consider a trade we have prospects and picks to make it happen.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Who would you trade?

I'd say Grondin can't be happy with playing time. He may want out.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Who would you trade?

I'd say Grondin can't be happy with playing time. He may want out.

I would have to agree with Grondin as he would probably of the bubble players get the best return. To go for a guy like Tippett or Robertson would a young guy like Preuter and 3-2nds 2-3rds do it? Grondin being worth 1-2nd and 1-3rd?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Whatever trade happens (if it happens), I hope its soon and we don't wait until Christmas.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
NHL Central Scouting North American Players "players to watch list" in the OHL have 2 Saginaw Spirit. Everett and Porco were listed as being drafted in rounds 4, 5 and 6. They were 2 of 44 OHL players. London lead the way with five.
Goldowski, Penman, Millman should have good TOI to prove themselves and maybe catch the eye of some team. We will see where they are in January?

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Barrie fan here! What are your guys expectations this year for the Spirit? Playoffs? 50-50 team?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Barrie fan here! What are your guys expectations this year for the Spirit? Playoffs? 50-50 team?

Don't let the our record fool you this is a top 4 club in the West. We have a blend of vets and youth when it comes together we'll be OK. A have a feeling our GM will be making some moves when he feels the time right. See who is playing well, chemistry between players, and then make decisions. Lots of prospects and picks to trade up and acquire elite talent.

Reactions: Colts 5656

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I agree, the early season record does not indicate anything yet.

DD has done a great job getting the talent here. On paper, Saginaw is one of the top teams in West. It should be a very exciting year.

BUT

I just don't think the players have or will respond to Coach Smith. His atttide and arrogance does not work. I think DD has made a huge error in hiring this guy with his past track record. It won't work!

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I agree, the early season record does not indicate anything yet.

DD has done a great job getting the talent here. On paper, Saginaw is one of the top teams in West. It should be a very exciting year.

BUT

I just don't think the players have or will respond to Coach Smith. His atttide and arrogance does not work. I think DD has made a huge error in hiring this guy with his past track record. It won't work!

Since he was hired in Saginaw was a bad dream for me. I watched every game he head coached for 2 years in Kitchener for personal reasons and he is not our guy. I'm sorry if this offends any Smitty fans but he should have this team pumped up and ready to beat anyone and by now the team should be responding.How long due you wait till you know their is a better coach than him out there? Again ilI' eat **** and I hope he proves me wrong ? All I want is the best for the team. My point is their is a better coach just waiting.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Porco makes it 3-1 scoring a short-handed goal for his 2nd of the game giving him 5 goals in5 games. He has equaled last year's goal total wich took him 57 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad