GDT: Sadly, another Washington Capitals Gameday is upon us (7:30 PM against Toronto)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Tough loss, but it happens. Leafs are a good team, shame their off-night was yesterday. Lindgren had another poor game but if he gives up 11 goals in 4 games then i'd prefer it was 7 goals in 1 game and 4 in the other 3 games.

Interesting to see if Lindgren can bounce back from this. He's the reason they are still in the hunt and if he can't, they are down and out quickly.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're still one slight wobble from picking ~13th. Love the progress Lapierre and Miro have shown in some respects but ultimately, as this one showed, impact talent is often decisive. Maybe not in the playoffs so much if teams aren't well balanced but this team sorely needs high-end skill that can take over.

Ovechkin can still bring it. But...who else can elevate like that? Carlson all-around is still not that guy, as we've seen in past years. Maybe with a more consistently formidable forward core he could work himself back into it but his age, athletic/stamina limitations and their inability to manage his TOI better work against it. He just sort of crumbles in these stretch games.

They're trying to make better plays and play hard for one another but are still likely a few pieces short. PHI/DET and the rest aren't that great so maybe it's still enough. But it's definitely not too late for them to fade a bit, in part due to the tough schedule, and wind up in position to net a pretty strong talent (say Eiserman if he slides).

Reactions: Rockingred12

Kuz

May 11, 2015
They're still one slight wobble from picking ~13th. Love the progress Lapierre and Miro have shown in some respects but ultimately, as this one showed, impact talent is often decisive. Maybe not in the playoffs so much if teams aren't well balanced but this team sorely needs high-end skill that can take over.

Ovechkin can still bring it. But...who else can elevate like that? Carlson all-around is still not that guy, as we've seen in past years. Maybe with a more consistently formidable forward core he could work himself back into it but his age, athletic/stamina limitations and their inability to manage his TOI better work against it. He just sort of crumbles in these stretch games.

They're trying to make better plays and play hard for one another but are still likely a few pieces short. PHI/DET and the rest aren't that great so maybe it's still enough. But it's definitely not too late for them to fade a bit, in part due to the tough schedule, and wind up in position to net a pretty strong talent (say Eiserman if he slides).
I feel like Leonard is the kind of guy that can take over games with his tools. Catton also looks very interesting as a C prospect, but he is probably gone when we pick.

Dont think there is any clear 1st line players in the area we will pick, but might be some potential 1st pairing defencemen. Caps have gambled on several players falling because of problems with injuries/illness in their draftyear lately (Miro, McMichael, Lapierre) so they might do that again on a guy like Kiviharju or Jiricek.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I feel like Leonard is the kind of guy that can take over games with his tools. Catton also looks very interesting as a C prospect, but he is probably gone when we pick.

Dont think there is any clear 1st line players in the area we will pick, but might be some potential 1st pairing defencemen. Caps have gambled on several players falling because of problems with injuries/illness in their draftyear lately (Miro, McMichael, Lapierre) so they might do that again on a guy like Kiviharju or Jiricek.
Eiserman could be that level player. Leonard can but they need someone as good or better to solidify the nucleus. As much as Lapierre and Miro have brought an initial spark I'm not sure they're on that level. Lapierre is a bit light all-around and Miro doesn't have the burst you'd like. Maybe he works at it and develops it. McMichael can be crafty. Protas is a horse. But they need someone that can stir their drink offensively more routinely. Catton and Iginla can be that...or at least someone I'd sooner bet on.

At least in terms of potential to add a higher-end talent I'd much rather they're in position to add a slider like Eiserman, Catton, Iginla or maybe Helenius than to dip into more of an unknown play with KIviharju or Jiricek. I'm not sure they're better than Sandin ultimately. Better skaters maybe but probably not true top pair guys unless their hockey IQ is really elite. I'd likely sooner add Brandsegg-Nygard to as a higher floor guy and another at least workmanlike type winger that can finish. Ideally they'd add a true solidifying C/D talent but outside of Catton sliding or a big fade down the stretch that may be a reach.

They don't have any cupcake games remaining really so if they make it they'll have earned it. BUF/OTT have enough firepower to where those ought to be challenging anyway. They've got Detroit twice to make their case head-to-head. CAR twice, BOS twice. Have to think they'll continue to need some help to make it.

Reactions: Rockingred12

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Eiserman could be that level player. Leonard can but they need someone as good or better to solidify the nucleus. As much as Lapierre and Miro have brought an initial spark I'm not sure they're on that level. Lapierre is a bit light all-around and Miro doesn't have the burst you'd like. Maybe he works at it and develops it. McMichael can be crafty. Protas is a horse. But they need someone that can stir their drink offensively more routinely. Catton and Iginla can be that...or at least someone I'd sooner bet on.

At least in terms of potential to add a higher-end talent I'd much rather they're in position to add a slider like Eiserman, Catton, Iginla or maybe Helenius than to dip into more of an unknown play with KIviharju or Jiricek. I'm not sure they're better than Sandin ultimately. Better skaters maybe but probably not true top pair guys unless their hockey IQ is really elite. I'd likely sooner add Brandsegg-Nygard to as a higher floor guy and another at least workmanlike type winger that can finish. Ideally they'd add a true solidifying C/D talent but outside of Catton sliding or a big fade down the stretch that may be a reach.

They don't have any cupcake games remaining really so if they make it they'll have earned it. BUF/OTT have enough firepower to where those ought to be challenging anyway. They've got Detroit twice to make their case head-to-head. CAR twice, BOS twice. Have to think they'll continue to need some help to make it.

Wanted it or not, Eiserman is propably too far out of reach at this stage. Might aswell go for it and figure out later if it's worth it to trade up but unless they miss and win the lottery, Eiserman is too far out of reach. Caps are 4 points ahead of Sabres and have 2 more games remaining. Eiserman is never going to get past Sabres and unless we are out of it by then and tank the h2h games vs. Sabres, we aren't finishing below them.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Not down at all about the loss. The recent road trip and even this game and now how they finish the rest of the season will only serve to benefit the young corps that's on this team (McMichael, Lapierre, Miroshnichenko, Protas, AA, Fever, Sandin). They'll learn what it takes to be a playoff team and playing against talented teams. They'll learn from this and it'll make them better. Very optimistic about the future of the Caps with Carberry behind the bench and this young corps and what else may be waiting in the wings.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

I'll have to touch the third rail on this one. Now here's a projection from My NHL Draft (this is strictly one person's opinion), but based upon their recent play, I see the Capitals ending just outside of the playoff bubble, thus drafting around 13th or later. All that being said and I know there's some that feel strongly against this kid, I'd go for Trevor Connelly. One scout has him as the second best forward behind Celebrini. Then you have this from the Hockey Writers Trevor Connelly – 2024 NHL Draft Prospect Profile
With the following from the article (Note Bob McKenzie's ranking of him), he's labeled as a top 6 forward with great skating ability and offensive skills, plus he plays the LW :

Trevor Connelly​

2023-24 Team: Tri-City Storm (USHL)
Date of Birth: Feb. 28, 2006
Place of Birth: Tustin, CA, USA
Ht: 6-foot-1 Wt: 161 pounds
Shoots: L
Position: LW
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2024 first-year eligible

Rankings​

My NHL Draft Projections

Konsta Helenius
Ht/Wt:5'11"/180 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Taapara (Liiga)

Zeev Buium
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/185 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: US NTDP

Cole Eiserman
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/196 lbs
Position:LW
Team: US NTDP

Carter Yakemchuk
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/190 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: Calgary (WHL)

12 *
Zayne Parekh
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/170 lbs
Team: Saginaw (OHL)

Tij Iginla
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/186 lbs
Position:C/LW
Team: Kelowna (WHL)

Adam Jiricek
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/175 lbs
Team: Plzen (Cze)

Michael BrandseggNygard
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/194 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Mora (Allsvenskan)

Liam Greentree
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/210 lbs
Team: Windsor (OHL)

Igor Chernyshov
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/192 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Dynamo (MHL)

18 *
Aron Kiviharju
Ht/Wt:5'10"/170 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: LPS (Liiga)

Emil Hemming
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Team: TPS (Fin U20)

20 *
Sacha Boisvert
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/180 lbs
Position:C
Team: Muskegon (USHL)

Michael Hage
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/190 lbs
Position:C
Team: Chicago (USHL)

Beckett Sennecke
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/181 lbs
Team: Oshawa (OHL)

Ryder Ritchie
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/174 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Prince Albert (WHL)

Trevor Connelly
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/161 lbs
Position:C/LW
Team: Tri-City (USHL)

Reactions: Neil Racki

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wanted it or not, Eiserman is propably too far out of reach at this stage. Might aswell go for it and figure out later if it's worth it to trade up but unless they miss and win the lottery, Eiserman is too far out of reach. Caps are 4 points ahead of Sabres and have 2 more games remaining. Eiserman is never going to get past Sabres and unless we are out of it by then and tank the h2h games vs. Sabres, we aren't finishing below them.
Very hard to handicap where Eiserman may go. You'd think he's still a top 10 talent but...one can say that about 13 options at this point. Catton should go top 10 but will he? Buium? Iginla? Helenius? Really hard to project how that will fall for teams. The Caps very likely won't finish below Buffalo but Buffalo could easily pick ~8th and opt elsewhere.

All that separates the Caps from 13th is two points and tie-breakers. So still very close to being in a good spot thanks to DET falling off and MIN/STL making a push out West. They may not wind up in Eiserman territory but Helenius/Iginla/Buium aren't too shabby either. (FWIW I'd take MBN over Connelly. Beyond the off-ice stuff he's such a light player currently that there's additional risk.)

Of course they're making their push and putting everything into making the playoffs. Doing so would validate so many of their decisions over the past year. But, if not, hopefully they do land in that consolation prize territory at least. They may not fall off considerably but that gap shrinking may allow for a soft landing.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Screw TANK, as it too late to actually get a top 15 pick(16-32 picks will amount to no better than a 2nd/3rd line player and maybe even some busts, as this is a much weaker draft from last season). OV will reach 30, as I'm noticing a big surge from him. He's stepping up, but others have to step up too.

One thing you can almost always count on, however, is some team in the top 10 screwing up and making a huge reach, allowing teams drafting after them to reap the rewards. Case in point Ryan Leonard last year, a guy who should have gone in the top 5 and fell to us at #8, thanks to the antics of Montreal and Arizona.

The higher the draft pick the better IMO. So much better than being a speedbump to a high seed
team in the first round of the playoffs.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I can’t figure out what else he was trying to do there? Like, he just swung his stick and hit him in the face. Dumb play, still trying to figure out what he was trying to do or if it’s just another one of those out of control Tom Wilson moments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad