GDT: Sadly, another Washington Capitals Gameday is upon us (7:30 PM against Toronto)

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I don't really see anyone arguing that it wasn't a stupid or at least a careless play. It's being prosecuted as if this was a premeditated attempt to hurt the other guy and I personally don't see intent to injure here. I think there should be some accountability for negligent plays like that, but there must also be a difference in degree in punishment between intentional and unintentional outcomes.
Well the mains already hate Wilson so it's easy for them to fire up the grill and hope for a 10+ game suspension.

I agree with the bolded. I think he's going to get 4 games. It's almost impossible to know what DOPS will do but Rielly got 4 for crosscheck to face of RIdley Greig (deliberate) and that idiot Rempe got 4 for elbowing Siegs in the head (which I am certain was deliberate but DOPS seemed to give him the benefit of the doubt). I feel like this is going to be the same kind of punishment. Two won't be viewed as enough but 6+ is going to be too many.

Reactions: TheSmokingMan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think he gets 6.

It's right on the edge of what you can give him realistically, and he's going to get the max. Anything more than that and you'd figure he has a good chance to win an appeal. Even if it were to be 6, that's ~40% of our remaining season which just sucks.

On the positive note, i'm eager to see Frank finally getting a shot at the NHL-level. That should really help our team speed. I also like giving a guy like Protas perhaps a bigger PK slot in Wilson's absence.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Well the mains already hate Wilson so it's easy for them to fire up the grill and hope for a 10+ game suspension.

I agree with the bolded. I think he's going to get 4 games. It's almost impossible to know what DOPS will do but Rielly got 4 for crosscheck to face of RIdley Greig (deliberate) and that idiot Rempe got 4 for elbowing Siegs in the head (which I am certain was deliberate but DOPS seemed to give him the benefit of the doubt). I feel like this is going to be the same kind of punishment. Two won't be viewed as enough but 6+ is going to be too many.

I hope it's only 4 games. With his reputation and the animosity towards Wilson around the league, I could see the DOPS caving to the pressure and giving him 10+.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I don't really see anyone arguing that it wasn't a stupid or at least a careless play. It's being prosecuted as if this was a premeditated attempt to hurt the other guy and I personally don't see intent to injure here. I think there should be some accountability for negligent plays like that, but there must also be a difference in degree in punishment between intentional and unintentional outcomes.
For this specific play, I think you have to consider it intent to injure because of how he pulls back. If he had just kind of swatted him with the stick from at his side or a little in front of himself, ok.. that's careless. But the way he winds up to whip it around his body like that goes beyond negligence towards malicious intent.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
And I love Tom Wilson, I just think that's clearly a guy trying to take something out on another guy's face with his stick, you know?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He'll get suspended, but I see why he did it. The other guy was trying to spear him in the face.

• Haha
Reactions: Acallabeth

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Tom Wilson takes bad penalties. He’s never really improved in this area. He’s always been a poorly disciplined player. It’s been especially evident this year where he takes bad penalties in key moments of the game. Now it’s a bad penalty, potential suspension, at a key moment of the season.

It’s okay to say - hey Tom maybe be better about this shit

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tom Wilson takes bad penalties. He’s never really improved in this area. He’s always been a poorly disciplined player. It’s been especially evident this year where he takes bad penalties in key moments of the game. Now it’s a bad penalty, potential suspension, at a key moment of the season.

It’s okay to say - hey Tom maybe be better about this shit
It is….it just doesn’t mean shit coming from the select few that are always up his ass.

I think it’s safe to say he HAS been better in this area for what….the last 3 years….shit happens sometimes.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
What is safe to say is that a 45 million dollar man (who is 3rd among our active forwards in goals, points and cap hit) can't act like a 4th liner on an ELC.
Our playoff push relies on the other teams losing already, no reason to complicate it by dependence on DOPS as well.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I'm not turning on Tom. I'm trying to be realistic here. Given his history, they're not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I am disappointed, sure. It was a dumb and selfish thing to do at a critical point in the season when everyone is counting on him to be a leader on and off the ice.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not defending Wilson's stick swing
but
he's had 1 suspension in 6 years (2021, then 2018 )
so not like he's been "gooning" it up on the reg

Those who dislike him and the game he plays will clutch onto his past 15 years from now…you think 3 years abates their distaste?

Reactions: Calicaps

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Willie has morphed from being the type of physical deterrent that apparently most NHL players who have voiced an opinion on the general subject have endorsed, to a less physical presence who demonstrates a tendency for random acts of retaliation for personal affronts. In his defense, some of this change is likely attributable to DOPS' reactions to his physicality. The rest of it, idk. Fat cat syndrome?

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Not defending Wilson's stick swing
but
he's had 1 suspension in 6 years (2021, then 2018 )
so not like he's been "gooning" it up on the reg
He missed a lot of that period due to an injury that had him skating pretty tentatively for a while and avoiding contact that he would have previously sought out.

I do give him some credit for avoiding disciplinary action, but he's just not the wrecking ball he once was in general.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He missed a lot of that period due to an injury that had him skating pretty tentatively for a while and avoiding contact that he would have previously sought out.

I do give him some credit for avoiding disciplinary action, but he's just not the wrecking ball he once was in general.
Not to mention the whole COVID thing cancelling a lot of games in that span, as well.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Those who dislike him and the game he plays will clutch onto his past 15 years from now…you think 3 years abates their distaste?
We are in a playoff race. He needs to control himself. Unfortunately, he cannot. He is the one that deserves all the blame. The game was over.

Now we f***ing have to watch Matthew f***ing Phillips.

No way this dude deserves any letter on his jersey.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We are in a playoff race. He needs to control himself. Unfortunately, he cannot. He is the one that deserves all the blame. The game was over.

Now we f***ing have to watch Matthew f***ing Phillips.

No way this dude deserves any letter on his jersey.
Lol….opinion noted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad