GDT: Sadly, another Washington Capitals Gameday is upon us (7:30 PM against Toronto)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Much like Kuznetsov and Edmundson this may be one of those "addition by subtraction" moments.

Things are looking up!

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
What was he even trying to do? I love playing with an edge, but that's not playing with an edge. Honestly can't even be mad if they throw the book at him.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It's hard to conjure up an explanation to this one beyond the obvious. This hissy fit, retaliatory element has been noticeable in Wilson's game this season. The amount of blow out losses the team has had probably contributes something to it.

Considering his history, if he gets away with 5 games, that would be a good outcome.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
What was he even trying to do? I love playing with an edge, but that's not playing with an edge. Honestly can't even be mad if they throw the book at him.
Some might say he was policing the game and acting as a deterrent.

[Deterrent to a possible Caps comeback, you ask?]

• Wow
Reactions: twabby

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not a full apples to apples comparison, but this was considered a $5,000 fine. The optics of Wilson’s look worse obviously but I don’t think 5 game suspension worthy if Trouba was only handed out a fine. Like I said in my previous post, Wilson hasn’t been fined or suspended since 2021. Previous suspension history shouldn’t factor into their decision

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Frustration and lack of discipline with emotion during the heat of the moment and being in the middle of a playoff race, imho. He knows better to do that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Well then.

Oh for f***'s sake! It was an idiotic careless accident not a flagrant home-run swing. And it cost the team dearly. This is as stupid as anything I've seen in the NHL this year.

Much like Kuznetsov and Edmundson this may be one of those "addition by subtraction" moments.

Things are looking up!
giphy.gif

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Oh for f***'s sake! It was an idiotic careless accident not a flagrant home-run swing. And it cost the team dearly. This is as stupid as anything I've seen in the NHL this year.

giphy.gif
I mean... He pulled his arm back to hit him with full force. In the face. With his stick.

Hit him in with enough force that the stick bent around his face on impact.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I really don't understand what Tom was trying to do there. Really dumb play, but I'm not convinced there was intent to injure, especially when you see Tom's reaction after he realized what he'd done.

Reactions: Calicaps and Block

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In all seriousness I think the thing that should be concerning is that a big part of the reason they signed him to a 7 year, $45.5 million contract extension that goes into effect next year is because of his purported leadership and locker room presence.

For a team that is in the thick of a playoff race and with two top 6 wingers already ailing with injuries you'd think a leader would not get himself suspended for maybe 5+ games with only 14 remaining. Imagine the pressure Oshie and Protas must now feel to potentially return early from injury because Tom Wilson threw a temper tantrum and they're lacking NHL bodies to play up front.

It seems to me that maybe Tom Wilson isn't the leader this team needs!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
In all seriousness I think the thing that should be concerning is that a big part of the reason signed him to a 7 year, $45.5 million contract extension that goes into effect next year is because of his purported leadership and locker room presence.

For a team that is in the thick of a playoff race and with two top 6 wingers already ailing with injuries you'd think a leader would not get himself suspended for maybe 5+ games with only 14 remaining. Imagine the pressure Oshie and Protas must now feel to potentially return early from injury because Tom Wilson threw a temper tantrum and they're lacking NHL bodies to play up front.

It seems to me that maybe Tom Wilson isn't the leader this team needs!
Always free to express your opinion but the hat0raid Wilson agenda is..

200w.gif

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Willson does seem to have these brain explosions every now and again where he crosses the line.

He probably didn't "intend" for his stick to hit Gregor in the face, but he sure as hell wound up and swung hard enough to intend to hit him somewhere.

I don't really know how people can defend this (apart from blind homerism). Reverse the scenario and ask yourselves how you'd feel if one of OUR players got hit like this - by a player on another team who generates similar outrage, dislike, hatred among fanbases. Maybe a Kadri or Marchand. How about Trouba (or any Ranger at all lol)?

It was a stupid and reckless thing to do. The only thing now is for DOPS to spin the wheel of justice and see what random outcome results from it.

Reactions: Hivemind and twabby

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The in person vs phone hearing is so silly. Just do them all over the phone! How does showing up in person do anything, is that meant to be part of the punishment? Do they get a lawyer or something

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
The in person vs phone hearing is so silly. Just do them all over the phone! How does showing up in person do anything, is that meant to be part of the punishment? Do they get a lawyer or something
A union rep at least. They are potentially about to tell a guy he may lose close half a million dollars in salary. You would think it would a little more formal than phone call lol.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I just would like to know if being in person has any substantive change impact on the decision. I look at like HR if you got a meeting with them on something the outcome is most likely already decided.

Storey Time Alert: Reminds me when I had a PIP with my 2nd job out of college because my boss decided she wanted me gone. Full disclosure even when I interviewed she said if I want you gone I will make your life miserable until you quit. I knew the PIP was BS but I was like I'm going to crush this PIP (not reading the tea leaves since being young still). So I crush the PIP. Took a two week vacation in December. Come back on Jan 2nd and had a schedule meeting with HR my boss and others. First thing they said was Jason you did everything we asked you to address/improve in the PIP and you did. But....Its just not going to work out. Lulz.

Since my brain is wired to prepared for at least a couple of angles I was ready. I immediately countered with could I rather just resign which stunned them a bit until finally the said I wouldn't be eligible for unemployment. But in my mind I was like looking for another job I'd rather not have been fired. Was luckier than some having my parents to fall back on.

Last edited:

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
A union rep at least. They are potentially about to tell a guy he may lose close half a million dollars in salary. You would think it would a little more formal than phone call lol.
They've already said they're doing a Zoom call :laugh: so it won't genuinely be "in person".

I guess the union rep will attend the meeting as well.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I don't really know how people can defend this (apart from blind homerism). Reverse the scenario and ask yourselves how you'd feel if one of OUR players got hit like this - by a player on another team who generates similar outrage, dislike, hatred among fanbases. Maybe a Kadri or Marchand. How about Trouba (or any Ranger at all lol)?

I don't really see anyone arguing that it wasn't a stupid or at least a careless play. It's being prosecuted as if this was a premeditated attempt to hurt the other guy and I personally don't see intent to injure here. I think there should be some accountability for negligent plays like that, but there must also be a difference in degree in punishment between intentional and unintentional outcomes.

Reactions: Block and Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad