Sabres Trade Targets

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I'm not sure how the salary cap works for the team but my vote goes to getting Palmieri from the Devils, who's reportedly available. INSIDER TRADING: Ducks GM Bob Murray wants to be busy before trade deadline

If Palmieri is in play, Buffalo's lottery protected 1st round pick plus whatever prospect they was not named Cozens or Pekar should be as well. Palmieri would be a huge difference maker here not just for the second half of 2020, but right from the start of the season next year as well. He is EXACTLY the fit we need for #1RW beside Jack. Obv Vesey or Sheary would have to go back with the actual valuable pcs to make the cap work...

Skinner-Eichel-Palmieri
Olofsson-Lazar-Reinhart
Sheary/Vesey-Mojo-Frolik
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
X. Erod

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
If Palmieri is in play, Buffalo's lottery protected 1st round pick plus whatever prospect they was not named Cozens or Pekar should be as well. Palmieri would be a huge difference maker here not just for the second half of 2020, but right from the start of the season next year as well. He is EXACTLY the fit we need for #1RW beside Jack. Obv Vesey or Sheary would have to go back with the actual valuable pcs to make the cap work...

Skinner-Eichel-Palmieri
Olofsson-Lazar-Reinhart
Sheary/Vesey-Mojo-Frolik
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
X. Erod
Lol. Lazar at 2C? Lol. He is a 4th line player at best.

Reactions: Chainshot

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
So we have everything that people are looking for .... Sell Botts, sell.. :(

Our UFAs have next to no value unfortunately... No point buying other expiring deals (unless you can get a negotiating window...), but I dont think Botts is in a true 'sell' position either - if someone offers a 4th/5th for Sheary, Girgs or Vesey - or a 7th for Bogo, take it... But look for value guys that have a year or two left on their deals & try to swing a hockey trade w/ a Miller, Montour, Ristolainen move to fill holes going forward... Time to show you can be a shrewd GM Jason, win (or at least don't lose...) a couple trades here!

**cough**Palmieri**cough**Rakell**cough**Anderson**cough**Kapanen**...

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Lol. Lazar at 2C? Lol. He is a 4th line player at best.

He looked great playing top-9 centre minutes leading up to the ASG break... We're not rife w/ options if you havent noticed - he's probably an equivalent option to what Mojo has done there & better than Erod - and I certainly want to avoid pulling Larsson off the LOG line... It's the only grouping with chemistry & consistency every game.

Lazar has exceeded expectations at every step since he signed here... So why not?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd be pressing hard for Josh Anderson. Aaron Portzline just wrote another speculative piece for the Athletic this morning (the usual paywall applies):

Josh Anderson’s uncertain future, and why the Blue Jackets power forward is surfacing in trade rumors

I'd float Mittelstadt's name out there as a starting point and see if that moves the needle.

I also think there's still a trade to be had with Winnipeg. They're light on defensemen, heavy on forwards, and most importantly have cap space. There's also going to be an expansion decision to be made between Roslovic and Copp. I wonder if we could interest them on a package of Miller + (ERod?) for Copp. Copp only has one point at ES over their last 20 games, seems like a good time to buy low while also providing them some players with term so they can reset for next year when they get healthy.

Mittelstadt as a starting point for Anderson?

That's a tough sell for me. I would be treating Mittelstadt as a very tradeable asset, but one that must return a center.

I'd also be pretty hesitant to trust Josh Anderson, a power forward with a history of shoulder issues, coming off a busted season, from a Torts system that makes average players in to analytics darlings... I don't know.

I would be very interested in taking Anderson in a reclamation type of deal... but I would definitely not use one of our best trade assets to do it.

I like Copp a lot. I'd rather just re-sign Larsson, but if that ship has sailed... then Copp is a good replacement target.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Our UFAs have next to no value unfortunately... No point buying other expiring deals (unless you can get a negotiating window...), but I dont think Botts is in a true 'sell' position either - if someone offers a 4th/5th for Sheary, Girgs or Vesey - or a 7th for Bogo, take it... But look for value guys that have a year or two left on their deals & try to swing a hockey trade w/ a Miller, Montour, Ristolainen move to fill holes going forward... Time to show you can be a shrewd GM Jason, win (or at least don't lose...) a couple trades here!

**cough**Palmieri**cough**Rakell**cough**Anderson**cough**Kapanen**...
I'd take the late picks, move out almost all pending FA. Teams are looking for expiring deals and we can retain.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Mittelstadt as a starting point for Anderson?

That's a tough sell for me. I would be treating Mittelstadt as a very tradeable asset, but one that must return a center.

I'd also be pretty hesitant to trust Josh Anderson, a power forward with a history of shoulder issues, coming off a busted season, from a Torts system that makes average players in to analytics darlings... I don't know.

I would be very interested in taking Anderson in a reclamation type of deal... but I would definitely not use one of our best trade assets to do it.

I like Copp a lot. I'd rather just re-sign Larsson, but if that ship has sailed... then Copp is a good replacement target.

Yep, Anderson would be a seriously major risk; age, injury history, playing style, pending big contract, down season, etc. But he's the exact player arch-type I'm looking for as a complimentary piece in our top 6, and unfortunately there's not many others out there that seem to be available. I'm personally not that high on Mitts, so I was hoping a high ceiling/low floor name would entice them. But if he can be used for bigger trade, I'm all for it.

As for Copp, you recently did a roster projection where you said ideally we could use two Larsson's. So I ask, why not both? :dunno:

Reactions: brian_griffin

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I'd want him if he was younger or we had a better team. He's 3o years old. I see him as rental for a playoff team.

Agreed, however that could potentially be an advantage as well - He's 30, looking for a long term deal on July 1st... Put him on Jack's wing & watch him play the most determined half season of his career a la Skinner in his 40-goal UFA season. If we crash & burn, down the stretch flip him...

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He looked great playing top-9 centre minutes leading up to the ASG break... We're not rife w/ options if you havent noticed - he's probably an equivalent option to what Mojo has done there & better than Erod - and I certainly want to avoid pulling Larsson off the LOG line... It's the only grouping with chemistry & consistency every game.

Lazar has exceeded expectations at every step since he signed here... So why not?
I disagree that he has exceeded expectations. He has met them as a bottom line disturber, checking asset. He does not drive play and would be a drag on Skinner. Mojo was injured then Skinner was injured. When both were healthy along with Vlad, they were effective. Frolik is the obvious Vlad replacement. I agree Mojo should be on the wing on that line and yes their is a dearth of centers, but Lazar is not a top 6 player and has never been a top 6 player. I laugh because of the dearth of talent Botts has assembled at the top. But I do not see Lazar as the answer. I like Palmeiri but he and Sam are too similar to move the needle as far as the acquisition cost. He isn’t enough of, if even, an upgrade to push Sam down the lineup.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yep, Anderson would be a seriously major risk; age, injury history, playing style, pending big contract, down season, etc. But he's the exact player arch-type I'm looking for as a complimentary piece in our top 6, and unfortunately there's not many others out there that seem to be available. I'm personally not that high on Mitts, so I was hoping a high ceiling/low floor name would entice them. But if he can be used for bigger trade, I'm all for it.

I also want to target size/power forward for our wings. So tired of Sheary getting pushed off the puck by a gust of wind.

We could offersheet Anderson in the range of 4.0, and it would cost a 2nd rounder... and at least use it as leverage for a more favorable deal than Mitts as the centerpiece (overpayment)

CBJ has to deal with Dubois and Korpisalo/Merzlikins contracts... if they are already shopping Anderson, then they aren't likely to match an offersheet

As for Copp, you recently did a roster projection where you said ideally we could use two Larsson's. So I ask, why not both? :dunno:

fair enough

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I also want to target size/power forward for our wings. So tired of Sheary getting pushed off the puck by a gust of wind.

We could offersheet Anderson in the range of 4.0, and it would cost a 2nd rounder... and at least use it as leverage for a more favorable deal than Mitts as the centerpiece (overpayment)

CBJ has to deal with Dubois and Korpisalo/Merzlikins contracts... if they are already shopping Anderson, then they aren't likely to match an offersheet

fair enough

What's an offersheet? :laugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I disagree that he has exceeded expectations. He has met them as a bottom line disturber, checking asset. He does not drive play and would be a drag on Skinner. Mojo was injured then Skinner was injured. When both were healthy along with Vlad, they were effective. Frolik is the obvious Vlad replacement. I agree Mojo should be on the wing on that line and yes their is a dearth of centers, but Lazar is not a top 6 player and has never been a top 6 player. I laugh because of the dearth of talent Botts has assembled at the top. But I do not see Lazar as the answer. I like Palmeiri but he and Sam are too similar to move the needle as far as the acquisition cost. He isn’t enough of, if even, an upgrade to push Sam down the lineup.

I don't want Lazar playing with Skinner.

But.

Skinner has a strong history of producing ES offense with bottom 6 checking center types (Derek Ryan, Riley Nash, Victor Rask).

While I don't want Lazar in that spot... I do want Larsson in it.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
So you take issue with the only guy on the list with 30G potential? Because of the Ottawa/Karlsson stuff? He hasn't had any issues in Sunrise. Toffoli is a nice piece, but his offensive output will not match up to his UFA price tag. Granlund would have to a show-me deal for a steal of an AAV to even take a flyer.

I'd take Foligno with Hoffman as well, as he has a different set of intangibles that would make him a nice fit here - and the contract is likely pretty reasonable. But if I can only pick one to help BUF, it's the sniper.
Take away his PP production and he’s a forgettable player. We already have Eichel and Oloffson cashing in on those. Hoffman is not the guy

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Take away his PP production and he’s a forgettable player. We already have Eichel and Oloffson cashing in on those. Hoffman is not the guy

And who exactly is 'cashing in' on PP2??? Want to take a guess why were a -7 on goal differential... The cavernous lack of offensive skill on special teams certainly doesn't help!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Who says no? NHL executives evaluate your trade proposals

14. Buffalo trades Casey Mittelstadt to San Jose for Tomas Hertl
– @Vitali17

No from San Jose. Doug Wilson is ready to deal but I don’t think he’s looking to trade young players who are going to be a big part of the next phase of success for San Jose.

Exec: “San Jose would say no to that. I don’t think our guys love Mittelstadt. Not quite sure what he’s going to become. That’s an easy one.”

This was a really good "Who says no" column by Craig Custance.

This was the only Sabres trade idea in the article. But, plenty of other good ones to look at throughout the league.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bringing up Anderson made me think of another big guy that might develop.
First AHL Season
Brett Murray 38GP, 5G, 12A 17PT and counting
Josh Anderson 52GP, 7G, 10A 17PT

Murray's a couple years older at 22 than Anderson was but it's also a bigger jump from the USHL. Anderson was surrounded by future NHL'ers on the London Knights. It would be nice if one of our crack reporters would ask Botterill if Murray has been offered a contract.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Who says no? NHL executives evaluate your trade proposals

This was a really good "Who says no" column by Craig Custance.

This was the only Sabres trade idea in the article. But, plenty of other good ones to look at throughout the league.

Mitts straight across for Hertl was an easy one to say no to for San Jose. I wish they would've sweetened it a little bit from Buffalo's side to make Custance and the executive think about it.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
How about a Wennberg? He's been a bust, but not terrible. I don't know where he'd fit in - but change of scenery, buy low, could be a low risk move?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How about a Wennberg? He's been a bust, but not terrible. I don't know where he'd fit in - but change of scenery, buy low, could be a low risk move?
meh, another soft perimeter player signed for 3 more years at $4.9aav...think I'll pass unless he came with a wonderful sweetener and only cost us Bogo & ERod, we were lucky to get out of Berglund and now Sobotka, lets not add another.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's obviously our annual summer "Give Away an Early- to Mid-Round Pick for a Washed Player" target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad