Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Nathan Beaulieu (2yrs, $2.4m AAV)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not a fan of Nate's agent asking for playing time in the Associated Press. Kind of thing that could cause resentment among the other defensemen who are competing for minutes. It is also second guessing the coach and dictating to the GM.

Dahlin & Pilut will be around next year for less money combined than 3rd pairing Nate is making currently. Nate wouldn't be in line to replace Bogo on the right side in 20/21 either & Risto seems entrenched in the top 4.

Really can't see any leverage this agent thinks he has, healthy Hunwick & Nelson are signed through next season and could split time with Marco & McCabe. Some random Amerk could be ready as well.

Interested in how his teammates react to this, would they confront Nate directly who he should replace? Would they brood about it? What about the other 20 players in the system who are in contract years, should they all demand playing time?

Waive him. If 1% of my perception is 1% true, Nate isn't worth bothering about.
1st bold Hunwick should either be bought out or trade-dumped in the offseason, waived to Roch after camp, or only planned on being a #8 depth for BUF if he's up all year. He should not be counted in a plan to be the 1st replacement on the left side.

2nd bold Even if he's a malcontent, make the guy play out his contract.
Why waive an NHL caliber depth d-man without attempting to get a pick or player in trade?

Bitching about playing time is so high-school (or I guess NFL, too).

Doesn't really seem unreasonable to me. I'm sure like any player, he wants the opportunity to showcase himself in a contract year. Has his future to think about here... especially since he's been pretty decent this year all things considered.

That being said, whoever blabbed to the media is a jerk.
Only way it could make sense is if there was a possible trade (unknown to most or all of the rest of the clubs) which fell through because Botterill or his counterpart wanted more / better assets, and the agent wants other GMs to know. It's a lazy way to try to gain leverage he (agent / Beaulieu) really lack regardless.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Beaulieu is a funny player. When he's on, I absolutely love him. Skates like the wind, tough as nails. Has both those qualities in spades over other D on this team.

But when he's off, oh my goodness, it's like he checks his brain at the door. To be fair though, I've seen way more On than Off with him this year.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
No he didn't get benched for one play. He played a very bad game against Tampa. If you don't think so then go back and watch the game again.
We can agree to disagree. While Tampa wasn't his best game, he played fine until the crucial giveaway. He's much more of a difference maker than either Scandella or Beaulieu.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Risto is far better and plays 25+ minutes a game. If Risto got 17 minutes a game I am sure he would make far less mistakes too.

I would be happy with a 4th. Especially since its finally time Guhle gets inserted into Buffalo next year. Beaulieu makes nearly 2 and a half mil and even with a minimal raise it is too much for what he brings.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I can’t blame Beaulieu for wanting a trade if he’s not going to Be a regular. Based on the #s game Buffalo Is not going to bring him back.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
It must be tough seeing guys that have regular spots like Risto and Scandy make a mistake that he gets benched for.

I doubt those are the guys he has a problem playing behind. Pilut and/or Nelson are probably much bigger annoyances.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
It must be tough seeing guys that have regular spots like Risto and Scandy make a mistake that he gets benched for.
I'm actually frustrated by the whole thing. I think we need the depth that we have at D right now. Yes Beaulieu absolutely being one of them.

Injuries happen. We need them all.

Having said this, I have disagreed with the consensus here on the pecking order of our D the entire year. I've been far less critical of Housley in this regard. Pilut has looked very good for the most part and shows a lot of promise, but honestly, to be annointing him anything at this point, seems just silly to me.

Now if Housley would just sit down with me on the forward combinations. that's a completely different story!

Reactions: brian_griffin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Random aside: I looked at Beaulieu's Hockey Fights profile, and he fought Paquette twice in seven-month span (and spanning two seasons). I remember he went after Paquette at the end of the 1st period in the game that ended our 10-game winning streak and got himself a 10-minute misconduct. Guy really does not like Cedric Paquette. Neither do I.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Risto is far better and plays 25+ minutes a game. If Risto got 17 minutes a game I am sure he would make far less mistakes too.

I would be happy with a 4th. Especially since its finally time Guhle gets inserted into Buffalo next year. Beaulieu makes nearly 2 and a half mil and even with a minimal raise it is too much for what he brings.
I'm not convinced at all that Guhle is going to be an NHLer. I have significantly more faith in Borgen, frankly.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
New-age Chris Butler is all Pysyk will ever be. I'd rather deal Beaulieu for a pick or a center for Rochester.
Pysyk would be wonderful in this system. He gets the puck out and isn't needed to be an offensive threat. Salaries are similar, Tallon noted he wanted to get more physical and Beaulieu is an RFA so Florida has team control.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Borgen very well might cement a spot on the Sabres before Guhle. He's been very good for Rochester, I think he's been playing on their top pairing. When he gets up here he'll be pushed to be more aggressive offensively. Guhle should make it as well, I keep thinking they should experiment with him at forward. Chris Taylor was on with Howard Simon yesterday and talked very positively about Guhle's progress as well as Alex Nylander's.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Pysyk would be wonderful in this system. He gets the puck out and isn't needed to be an offensive threat. Salaries are similar, Tallon noted he wanted to get more physical and Beaulieu is an RFA so Florida has team control.
Good points, well made. I'm not opposed to such a deal, just putting it out there that Pysyk is a good #5 at very best.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
If you can get a mid round pick he's collateral at this point. With the influx of left-handed defensemen on the roster, if you can get value move on from him. He's been passed easily by Pilut and Hunwick plays more of a 200 foot game. So there's no reason to not look at it. Unless we're able to move Scandella.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
What would be the point? We are carrying 8 dmen right now. Nelson on IR makes it 9 dmen. We don’t need another NHL dman.

The point could be a right handed defensemen to balance out the line pairings with ease possibly. However, I'm in the same camp as those who want to move him for a pick or long term asset.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If you can get a mid round pick he's collateral at this point. With the influx of left-handed defensemen on the roster, if you can get value move on from him. He's been passed easily by Pilut and Hunwick plays more of a 200 foot game. So there's no reason to not look at it. Unless we're able to move Scandella.
Nonononononononononononononono.....

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The point could be a right handed defensemen to balance out the line pairings with ease possibly. However, I'm in the same camp as those who want to move him for a pick or long term asset.

We have 8 dmen and will have 9 and when Nelson is healthy. Another move will have to happen when he returns. Swapping Beaulieu for another depth dman doesn’t really gain us anything even with him being a righty.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yeah, Hunwick is like K-Mart in Rain Man.
tenor.gif

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What would be the point? We are carrying 8 dmen right now. Nelson on IR makes it 9 dmen. We don’t need another NHL dman
They're carrying 8 defensemen right now, sure, but one of them never plays and only seems to still be on the roster because they forgot they can put him on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad