Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Nathan Beaulieu (2yrs, $2.4m AAV)

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
If I were less emotionally stable, Beaulieu would be the type of player that had me seriously considering a jump from my top porch onto the icy ground below.

I have such an intense quasi-rational hatred for him that I find myself laughing at the ridiculousness of my own opinion.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Apparently he has requested a trade

Ok :dunno:

giphy.gif

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Not a fan of Nate's agent asking for playing time in the Associated Press. Kind of thing that could cause resentment among the other defensemen who are competing for minutes. It is also second guessing the coach and dictating to the GM.

Dahlin & Pilut will be around next year for less money combined than 3rd pairing Nate is making currently. Nate wouldn't be in line to replace Bogo on the right side in 20/21 either & Risto seems entrenched in the top 4.

Really can't see any leverage this agent thinks he has, healthy Hunwick & Nelson are signed through next season and could split time with Marco & McCabe. Some random Amerk could be ready as well.

Interested in how his teammates react to this, would they confront Nate directly who he should replace? Would they brood about it? What about the other 20 players in the system who are in contract years, should they all demand playing time?

Waive him. If 1% of my perception is 1% true, Nate isn't worth bothering about.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
There is obviously more to it. If you go on merit by level of play, he’s ahead of Scandella.

So I wonder if he has a shit attitude in practice or rubs the staff the wrong way in some other regard.

In his head, I’m curious who he thinks he should be playing over, as it stands. Is he salty about Pilut?

Reactions: Chainshot

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Wasn’t he just hurt and out for an extended period of time? I had assumed he was just working his way back into the lineup.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Pilut was awful rough last night. But this fan base just loves the shiny and new.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Pilut was awful rough last night. But this fan base just loves the shiny and new.
?

Is this the typical Buffalonian who thinks all players should be gritty and blue collar? Yes, he got hit and knocked down a few times.

Pilut is consistently outstanding, and makes the little plays that help get the puck out of the zone or kept in the offensive zone. Not sure what you're seeing. Of course he's going to make mistakes, but his positive play far outweighs any negatives.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
?

Is this the typical Buffalonian who thinks all players should be gritty and blue collar? Yes, he got hit and knocked down a few times.

Pilut is consistently outstanding, and makes the little plays that help get the puck out of the zone or kept in the offensive zone. Not sure what you're seeing. Of course he's going to make mistakes, but his positive play far outweighs any negatives.
He got benched his play was so bad last game he played. You just proved the other poster's point about shiny new toy.

I think you are mixing up Dahlin with Pilut.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Doesn't really seem unreasonable to me. I'm sure like any player, he wants the opportunity to showcase himself in a contract year. Has his future to think about here... especially since he's been pretty decent this year all things considered.

That being said, whoever blabbed to the media is a jerk.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Scandella has proven to be a good player as recently as last year.

Beaulieu is just bad. Hopefully we trade him for anything of value & both parties can move on.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ultimately he should be traded anyway. He's not a starter if this roster gets to Cup contending level. Top four should be good enough that McCabe-Bogosian (Borgen or some other replacement of Bogo at some point) is the 3rd pairing. Since it hurts the team to trade Hunwick now, Beaulieu and probably Scandella should BOTH get traded before next season.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Doesn't really seem unreasonable to me. I'm sure like any player, he wants the opportunity to showcase himself in a contract year. Has his future to think about here... especially since he's been pretty decent this year all things considered.

That being said, whoever blabbed to the media is a jerk.
I mean, not for nothing but he's had 26 games to showcase himself and in a lot of them he's showed not very much. Sometimes he seems like he can be a fairly good bottom pair guy, and sometimes he shows that he can't reliably be that.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
He got benched his play was so bad last game he played. You just proved the other poster's point about shiny new toy.

I think you are mixing up Dahlin with Pilut.
No, I'm not mixing up anything. Pilut is playing very good hockey. He got benched for one bad play at a crucial time, yes. That said, there's no way he should be benched for Nate Beaulieu or Marco Scandella. He's literally the only player that can turn Risto into a respectable possession player. I don't think that can be discounted.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I'd rather see Bowyou over Scandella... I like that Bowyou has a physical edge somewhat, and I think he's more of a "gamer" than Scandella

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No, I'm not mixing up anything. Pilut is playing very good hockey. He got benched for one bad play at a crucial time, yes. That said, there's no way he should be benched for Nate Beaulieu or Marco Scandella. He's literally the only player that can turn Risto into a respectable possession player. I don't think that can be discounted.
No he didn't get benched for one play. He played a very bad game against Tampa. If you don't think so then go back and watch the game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad