Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Nathan Beaulieu (2yrs, $2.4m AAV)

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
What would be the point? We are carrying 8 dmen right now. Nelson on IR makes it 9 dmen. We don’t need another NHL dman
In my imaginary world, it would allow us to move out Scandella for futures.

Dahlin Bogo
Pilut Risto
McCabe Pysyk

Nelson/Hunwick/Borgen/Guhle/Tennyson

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He needs to acquire a few good D-men anyway (in the off-season), but not because of trading away two of the worst four D-men out of nine. Who carries nine healthy D-men?

Most teams need to be 9 or 10 D deep for when injuries hit throughout the season.

11 D have suited up for the Sabres this season and we are a little over halfway through the season.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Risto is far better and plays 25+ minutes a game. If Risto got 17 minutes a game I am sure he would make far less mistakes too.

I would be happy with a 4th. Especially since its finally time Guhle gets inserted into Buffalo next year. Beaulieu makes nearly 2 and a half mil and even with a minimal raise it is too much for what he brings.

Guhle isnt ready, may never be

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Most teams need to be 9 or 10 D deep for when injuries hit throughout the season.

11 D have suited up for the Sabres this season and we are a little over halfway through the season.

Then the only course of action is to send Pilut down and carry 8 healthy D-men. Obviously injuries change the equation. I see four guys (Scandella, Beaulieu, Nelson, Hunwick) that won't stick around more than a year and one month from now. Keeping extra guys for a playoff run is good, but not next year with those four. Those guys will be trash to rely on if Buffalo makes the playoffs next year, and I assume improvements will be made by then. With that in mind, this TDL is the best time to unload at least one of them, because even if they make a push this April they aren't going anywhere.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Guhle isnt ready, may never be
That seems like a harsh assessment. He's twenty-one and a half years old and playing in his D+4 season. If we use McCabe as a somewhat comparable career trajectory, he didn't break in as a regular until his D+5 season and then he had a particularly brutal D+7 season that he's rebounding from this year. Some prospects just take longer to bake than others, it's not unusual.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
That seems like a harsh assessment. He's twenty-one and a half years old and playing in his D+4 season. If we use McCabe as a somewhat comparable career trajectory, he didn't break in as a regular until his D+5 season and then he had a particularly brutal D+7 season that he's rebounding from this year. Some prospects just take longer to bake than others, it's not unusual.

Maybe harsh, but he doesnt seem to think the game quick enough at all for my liking. Myers-esque with the tools

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This is a great opportunity to package a passenger from our forward corp with beaulieu to free up roster space for CJ. It's a contract year, so beaulieu isn't going to return much. if we offer him and let's say Svobotka (Housley would cry himself to sleep if it had a chance of happening) for a mid to late round pick. I'd be okay with it.

Reactions: Fezzy126

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
You are an optimist sir.
Yes, we can only hope to confuse Housley's simple mind enough to make his brain explode.

But for real, Pysyk would improve this roster and allow us to roll three really solid pairs and push the puck up the ice consistently. Nelson is basically Pysyk-Lite. Not sure why Florida would make that move however.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Yes, we can only hope to confuse Housley's simple mind enough to make his brain explode.

But for real, Pysyk would improve this roster and allow us to roll three really solid pairs and push the puck up the ice consistently. Nelson is basically Pysyk-Lite. Not sure why Florida would make that move however.
To think, we traded Pysyk for a year of broken Kulikov. Wish GMTM never pulled that trigger.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Beaulieu is to the defense what Milan Bartovic was to the offense. Yeah, he has his brief, glimmering moments of potential, but most of the time, you'd rather see pretty much any other player at that position on the ice.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Still can never have too many Dmen, I wouldn't mind moving out Nate in a one for one LD/RD scenery swap for a guy like Tim Heed. Add another Swede, similar style of play, close in age, cheap 6/7/8. Would rather take a flyer on a player like that than return a 5th or 6th.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
At the time it made sense, we had a bunch of right-side guys and basically zero left-side guys other than Risto. Then Kulikov forgot how to hockey after he got the Wile E Coyote treatment with the bench door.
That was probably the funniest thing i have read on here all week. But yeah, at the time it felt like a fair hockey trade that filled both teams needs.

Reactions: Reddawg

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

True but teams don't carry 9 healthy dmen on their NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->