Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Nathan Beaulieu (2yrs, $2.4m AAV)

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Fine deal.

Aren't most #4/#5 that are decent in the league making 1.5 to 2.5 AAV now?

Not an overpayment from what i can see.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Shows some confidence in him. He is locked into a top 6 role now IMO. This likely pushes Gorges to 7th D.

Nothing we didn't expect but just confirms it.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Maybe 150k more than I thought Bealieu'd get, but the priority here was always to secure the second year when you're looking at 1 at closer to 3 in arbitration.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Nice signing. Could end up being a bargain for the next couple of years after some Housley magic (hopefully!).

Does this leave Zemgus as the lone unsigned RFA?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Just Zemgus for RFAs. Though it's another 8 year contract I keep looking for.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Was hoping for a 1 year show me type deal for him but this isn't terrible.

All of the top 6 are locked up beyond this season.. Could be a great thing if things work out right. Still a lot of question marks though...

Edit - Antipin is Rfa after this year for some reason I thought he had a longer ELC. My bad.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Surprised he got 800k more then McCabe AAV, but in the grand scheme of things his contract is more then fair. Only when compared to McCabes deal could you question any of it but even taking into account McCabes deal this is still totally fine, salary and term wise. Beaulieu is still an RFA after this deal is up correct? Or does this take him right into unrestricted free agency?

Either way, it feels good to have our D in place. We have our top 6 locked in place and the two oldest are 27 years of age. The other 4 are in their early or mid 20s and we also have Guhle waiting in the wings. It's remarkable how much better our D is now in the short time Botterill has been in charge.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It's remarkable how much better our D is now in the short time Botterill has been in charge.

Yeah all those games they've played.

Pretty remarkable.

Antipin, Guhle coming...both great moves the last GM couldn't have pulled off amirite?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Surprised he got 800k more then McCabe AAV, but in the grand scheme of things his contract is more then fair. Only when compared to McCabes deal could you question any of it but even taking into account McCabes deal this is still totally fine, salary and term wise. Beaulieu is still an RFA after this deal is up correct? Or does this take him right into unrestricted free agency?

Either way, it feels good to have our D in place. We have our top 6 locked in place and the two oldest are 27 years of age. The other 4 are in their early or mid 20s and we also have Guhle waiting in the wings. It's remarkable how much better our D is now in the short time Botterill has been in charge.

He is 24 now, turns 25 in december. On July 1st 2019 when this contract ends he is 26. He has still one more year left.

McCabe is younger by a year than beaulieu. When mccabe is resigned I expect it to be around $4M-$4.5M.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Just Zemgus for RFAs. Though it's another 8 year contract I keep looking for.

Seems like the plan is RFA's 1st then the big one. I personally thought they would get the big one done 1st, but doesn't matter.

Zemgus hopefully gets a multi-year deal.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
You value a guy enough to swing a deal for him you don't want to completely cheap out on that player the first chance you get. Especially if you are counting on good things from him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Seems like the plan is RFA's 1st then the big one. I personally thought they would get the big one done 1st, but doesn't matter.

Zemgus hopefully gets a multi-year deal.

I'll always have a soft spot for zemgus and would love to see him here long term but I have to imagine he's on a "show me" type of basis with his contract status given our glut on middle to bottom six guys in the system that could potentially replace him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->