Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Nathan Beaulieu (2yrs, $2.4m AAV)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Revisionist theories are fine and dandy but they cant and never will tell a full story. okay...great we have Zads, Pysyk, and an expiring Myers...would you trade that for Dahlin? Would having that core help Risto's development? probably...but who was coaching? Should we have drafted defense instead of Nylander...no kidding. But we wouldn't have done that had we kept those guys in house so that point goes out the window.

Again Sabres fans keep going down an unknown what could have been hole instead of discussing what could be now in the actual tense....seems kinda pointless but fun for some I guess...

This kind of talk just drives the Murray narrative that has been beaten to death. It's time to move on folks, no take backsies. Time to reshuffle the deck and discuss actual oppurtunities. We get it, Murray sucked when all the cards played out. We get it. You guys make me wanna call all my ex girlfriends the way you harp on this...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Revisionist theories are fine and dandy but they cant and never will tell a full story. okay...great we have Zads, Pysyk, and an expiring Myers...would you trade that for Dahlin? Would having that core help Risto's development? probably...but who was coaching? Should we have drafted defense instead of Nylander...no kidding. But we wouldn't have done that had we kept those guys in house so that point goes out the window.

Again Sabres fans keep going down an unknown what could have been hole instead of discussing what could be now in the actual tense....seems kinda pointless but fun for some I guess...

This kind of talk just drives the Murray narrative that has been beaten to death. It's time to move on folks, no take backsies. Time to reshuffle the deck and discuss actual oppurtunities. We get it, Murray sucked when all the cards played out. We get it. You guys make me wanna call all my ex girlfriends the way you harp on this...

Firstly - we were very lucky to get Dahlin. I can't emphasise that enough.

Secondly - you're probably right - but personally I saw Josh's post & it's exactly how I think about Murray's regime constantly. And it's the example I would use to dissuade fans who want to rush things again.

Reactions: joshjull

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

We re just taking about your ex
I promise we wont call her!

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Firstly - we were very lucky to get Dahlin. I can't emphasise that enough.

Secondly - you're probably right - but personally I saw Josh's post & it's exactly how I think about Murray's regime constantly. And it's the example I would use to dissuade fans who want to rush things again.

To your first point if we had this alledgedly great d core by ignoring TMGM's moves we have no chance at Dahlin, we pick 8th yet again.

Reactions: Rasmi

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
To your first point if we had this alledgedly great d core by ignoring TMGM's moves we have no chance at Dahlin, we pick 8th yet again.

But 80 per cent of the time (or whatever it was) we don't get Dahlin even finishing dead last.

In hindsight that D is filthy - we have some more top players elsewhere in the lineup (by virtue of the picks Murray squandered), the likes of Eichel & Risto are already better players & we've likely remembered what the playoffs are like.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
But 80 per cent of the time (or whatever it was) we don't get Dahlin even finishing dead last.

In hindsight that D is filthy - we have some more top players elsewhere in the lineup (by virtue of the picks Murray squandered), the likes of Eichel & Risto are already better players & we've likely remembered what the playoffs are like.

this is entirely opinion based with no facts at all. You realize that right? Hence why I say revisionist thinking is pointless...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
this is entirely opinion based with no facts at all. You realize that right? Hence why I say revisionist thinking is pointless...

It's hard to talk about facts in a hypothetical scenario. But it's fair to say the team would more than likely be in a better spot now had Murray not made those moves. I feel the same will happen in another 2-3-4 years if JB makes similar moves - which many here seem to be clamouring for.

I was simply responding to / agreeing with Josh's post. I don't want to take this thread OT.

Back to Beaulieu - hopefully we get something of value for him.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
There's not one scenario above that would convince me would be better off other than the end result of getting Dahlin. He is literally going to be the best d-man in the league (IMO), and one of the best players of his generation period. This is not propaganda, what he's doing as an 18 Year Old # 1 Defenseman is extremely impressive, nearly unprecedented.

He allows you to now build a real NHL defense, the likes of which having Risto in that spot was never going to provide. We shouldn't ever have to see a top pairing of Scandella/Risto again. Slotting NHL players in their correct roles is paramount (think Girgs/Larsson playing a defensive role or Derek Roy on the third line instead of first). Risto will become his best version, simply because Dahlin is here. Once we have a coach that truly knows how to use Risto (18-20 mins a night), he'll be a beast. At some point, Dahlin will play 25-27 minutes a night and likely continue to dominate. I think the key now is to find a perfect compliment to play with him on the top pair, not think about what life would be without him because we're beyond lucky to have him. I truly think he'll be one of the main reasons we win a cup in the next 10 years.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
There's not one scenario above that would convince me would be better off other than the end result of getting Dahlin. He is literally going to be the best d-man in the league (IMO), and one of the best players of his generation period. This is not propaganda, what he's doing as an 18 Year Old # 1 Defenseman is extremely impressive, nearly unprecedented.

He allows you to now build a real NHL defense, the likes of which having Risto in that spot was never going to provide. We shouldn't ever have to see a top pairing of Scandella/Risto again. Slotting NHL players in their correct roles is paramount (think Girgs/Larsson playing a defensive role or Derek Roy on the third line instead of first). Risto will become his best version, simply because Dahlin is here. Once we have a coach that truly knows how to use Risto (18-20 mins a night), he'll be a beast. At some point, Dahlin will play 25-27 minutes a night and likely continue to dominate. I think the key now is to find a perfect compliment to play with him on the top pair, not think about what life would be without him because we're beyond lucky to have him. I truly think he'll be one of the main reasons we win a cup in the next 10 years.

Totally agree with this - but as I said above we got Dahlin by accident, by finally getting some good luck.

Most of the time even if the team went 0-82 we wouldn't end up with Dahlin. Getting him is outside of any GMs control.

Not making dumb trades or totally misguided drafting decisions - which is what Josh was alluding to - is very much within the GMs control.

Reactions: joshjull

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Totally agree with this - but as I said above we got Dahlin by accident, by finally getting some good luck.

Most of the time even if the team went 0-82 we wouldn't end up with Dahlin. Getting him is outside of any GMs control.

Not making dumb trades or totally misguided drafting decisions - which is what Josh was alluding to - is very much within the GMs control.

Yes, I'm just stating that I wouldn't trade how things went down. Things happened the way they did, but likely would not have if we had a better defense these past few years.

That said, that defense would have been solid, but lacking a top pairing guy. I don't think anyone that we had in those days and trades away were 1st pair talents. But, they definitely traded away quite a few 2nd pair guys and really top notch third pairings. We'd be able to build a heck of a defense right now with all of those pieces + Dahlin/Pilut/Guhle

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

To all fairness before Roy got injured back then he was at least a 2C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->