Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Marcus Johansson 2yrs 9mil (4.5 AAV)

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Ummm, he had 58 points in 16-17.

He should hit the 40 point mark IF he stays healthy.

The problem is staying healthy.

He has produced 0.48 ppg+ every year after his rookie season.

Yes, the 58 points is the one time he surpassed 50 that I referenced.

Yes, he has problems staying healthy - *literally* the first thing I said. Which is one of the reasons putting him down as a lock for 100 points in two seasons is a stretch, to put it kindly.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
This is a great signing. Would have been bad with a long term deal but if Botts was making any type of UFA move this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Reactions: Gordo21

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I really don’t care about his counting stats, it’s his possession numbers I’m more concerned with. Hell, it might turn out that the best thing for the team is to use him as the center for a second defensive oriented line that doesn’t score a ton but holds its own, freeing up a Mitts-Reinhart combo and to produce offensively.

Skinner-Eihel-Olofsson
Vesey/Sheary-Mitts-Reinhart
Smith-Mojo-Rodrigues
Girgs-Larsson-Okposo

It wouldn’t be kind to Johanssons counting stats at all, in fact it would probably be quite devastating to them, but maybe it’s the best thing for the rest of the lineup. Just spitballing here.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Some of y'all are more negative than Risto's career +/-. Perfect deal.

1) Positional flexibility is really useful for us.
2) The AAV ain't bad.
3) The term is fantastic. We have cap space the next two years, this is pretty low risk and pretty much just Pegula's dollars spent.
4) Every player runs risk of injury. Johansson's run has been bad, but we've seen guys turn that trend around. Coupling with the two year deal- he could be hurt both years, granted, but once again, really just money spent. But he could also be healthy both years, we could see 1-and-1.. dude just gives us some options. Good options, not Curtis Lazar options.

All positive, no negatives outside of Terry's wallet weight. Great work Botts.
I am hoping the sabres have had positive results with a more knowledgeable concussion treatment w their staff and it attracts players that want to remain thenselves after repeated concussion. It will be great if a player like okposo returns to his earlier form with help from a better staff and a proper training and rest feeding regimen that is way more succesful considering new stressors in environment past 15 years and throw out old concussion ideas. Great signing

Last edited:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
How his this guy worth 4.5M AAV?
How is Okposo worth what he's being paid? Or Skinner for that matter?

Cost of doing business in the NHL in a small market that is desperate to be competitive.

At least it's short term, unlike other free agent signings of the past.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Giving a couples day to think it over, still like the deal.

He’s a guy that represents what I want to see more of in our bottom 6 as a player type, especially if you’re going to overload financially and talent-wise in your top 6.

Good start.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
45-50 point player when healthy, has the versatility to play multiple forward positions, excellent at zone entries (particularly on the PP, which the Sabres could desperately use help with), coming off a strong playoff performance.
Thanks for being the only person to answer my legitimate question.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

Yes, he has problems staying healthy - *literally* the first thing I said. Which is one of the reasons putting him down as a lock for 100 points in two seasons is a stretch, to put it kindly.
I thought your post was quite clear. Not sure why someone would "correct" it by repeating the exact same thing you already said.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

You said Mojo hadn't eclipsed 30 the last three seasons. He said he hit 58 in '16-'17 which was three seasons ago. He was correcting you.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
From a Bruins fan -

You take this deal and you run with it. Mojo has some injury/concussion concerns, but he’s a damn fine player and was one of the top playoff performers in the latter two rounds for my team.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. It seems that he has really shed the label of not being able to step up in big games. Really looking forward to what he can do down the stretch, and if we are fortunate, in the playoffs also.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I really like what your team is doing this offseason. I think they'll be very competitive this season.
We thought the same thing after the 2018 draft...

Well, at least our GM no longer has a #2C Selke caliber player to trade away this offseason. Although I’m sure there’s a few more 3-standard-deviations-below-replacement-level-veteran-cap-dumps-with-4-more-years-term out there he can still acquire...

Would be wonderful for the B’s - Sabres rivalry to meaningfully renew at some point...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I really don’t care about his counting stats, it’s his possession numbers I’m more concerned with. Hell, it might turn out that the best thing for the team is to use him as the center for a second defensive oriented line that doesn’t score a ton but holds its own, freeing up a Mitts-Reinhart combo and to produce offensively.

Skinner-Eihel-Olofsson
Vesey/Sheary-Mitts-Reinhart
Smith-Mojo-Rodrigues
Girgs-Larsson-Okposo

It wouldn’t be kind to Johanssons counting stats at all, in fact it would probably be quite devastating to them, but maybe it’s the best thing for the rest of the lineup. Just spitballing here.
Why not just let ERod center that line though?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Why not just let ERod center that line though?

I'm not sure how good MarJo is on faceoffs relative to Erod and I'm far too exhausted to check right now, but I have no problem with a Johansson - Erod - Smith line. Rearrange the same pieces.

Looking at all these rosters, there's no way there isn't at least one trade in the next 5 weeks.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
We thought the same thing after the 2018 draft...

Well, at least our GM no longer has a #2C Selke caliber player to trade away this offseason. Although I’m sure there’s a few more 3-standard-deviations-below-replacement-level-veteran-cap-dumps-with-4-more-years-term out there he can still acquire...

Would be wonderful for the B’s - Sabres rivalry to meaningfully renew at some point...
sky.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad